Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    The strongest - Obama, though he is really far left - he appeals to those who think we need the government and Jessie directing our lives.

It is a shame though. I grew up a democrat. Ben
    I'd actually like to see Obama run with someone like Hagel on a unifying ticket. It would be awesome for these two guys to say that "we're American's first, party second". But I know that will never happen...
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002 View Post
    You think it`s ok to call our current armed forces undereducated or intellectually lazy? wow. that`s REALLY something!
    Where did he say they were intellectually lazy? I wasn't intellectually lazy, but I sure as well was uneducated when I served and ironically I joined with the promise that I'd get a free education (in the end I worked my way through college). Moreover, if the enlisted ranks are so highly educated why the hell did congress pass the GI Bill? It's simply common knowledge that the enlisted guys/gals are not highly educated. Now the good news is that, unlike in my day, the internet has probably helped to increase enrollment of enlisted folks into college while they are serving...well unless they are in a desert for three years.

So I'd bet 90%+ of the enlisted ranks have less than a two-year college degree, if any, when the join. Doesn't mean that all military people are dumb or lazy at all. There are boat loads of socio-economic reasons and a broken education system that has probably failed more people that those recruiters are targeting than the people taking the oath themselves.

The Army met its recruiting goal uh? You left out the part whereby they had to lower the acceptance standards to meet that goal. In fact I have a nephew who is truly a real dumb ***...seriously....I love my sister but what a twit this kid is. Anyway, the Army recruiter has literally given him rides to his weekly GED sessions so that they can get his fat *** into some boots and off to Iraq soon.
  4. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Can't believe there is three pages on this non-issue. What crap!
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    The strongest - Obama, though he is really far left - he appeals to those who think we need the government and Jessie directing our lives.

It is a shame though. I grew up a democrat. Ben
    Big government uh Ben? What crack pipe are you smoking? Or are you and Rush sharing some prescription drugs? Seriously...the government has BALLOONED under this administration and yet right-wingers like you keep saying the Dems love big government. What a bunch of hypocrites. That is why I cannot stand the GOP....their hypocrisy continues to reach new heights everyday.
    that's interesting. last week when he was making the sunday talk show announcement that he might run, everyone raved about how chariamatic he was etc, but I just didn't see it.
    nrg - you are right this thread is lame. are you going to start the new thread 'why are republicans getting flogged across the country?' or should I? wednesday is coming up soon.
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix View Post
    nrg - you are right this thread is lame. are you going to start the new thread 'why are republicans getting flogged across the country?' or should I? wednesday is coming up soon.
    I might just revive 1911's "flogged" thread.
    Ok, government has ballooned under this administration, but the path it has taken is not one the democrats would take and that is where the difference is. Today we are doing much better economically. The deficit is much lower per centage wise than ever before. Take a look at tell us what drugs you are using.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by hdtv4me View Post
    Big government uh Ben? What crack pipe are you smoking? Or are you and Rush sharing some prescription drugs? Seriously...the government has BALLOONED under this administration and yet right-wingers like you keep saying the Dems love big government. What a bunch of hypocrites. That is why I cannot stand the GOP....their hypocrisy continues to reach new heights everyday.
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    Is there any definite statistics on the education level of the GI's? Maybe even from the Army itself? That would settle whether poor and uneducated are disproportionately represented in the armed forces.

As for the brouhaha about Kerry, it is clearly not politically correct to say what Kerry did. Look what happened to him!!
    The high school graduation rate of enlistees is MUCH higher (97%) than the average for the country (80%). The college graduation rate is much lower.

http://www.heritage.org/Research/Nat...y/cda06-09.cfm

And according to the Heritage Foundation, the notion that the military mainly recruits the poor is a myth propagated by the media and people like Michael Moore.
    http://www.heritage.org/Research/Nat...ity/wm1244.cfm
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    so a thread is lame if it includes some criticism of democrats, but if it involves flogging republicans its legit? Now that is lame.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    The deficit is much lower per centage wise than ever before. Take a look at tell us what drugs you are using.

Ben
    You seem almost too eager to fall for Republican spin. Or did you indeed forget that there was no deficit, but a surplus under Clinton from 1998 to 2001? http://mediamatters.org/items/200604130002
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    The high school graduation rate of enlistees is MUCH higher (97%) than the average for the country (80%). The college graduation rate is much lower.

http://www.heritage.org/Research/Nat...y/cda06-09.cfm

And according to the Heritage Foundation, the notion that the military mainly recruits the poor is a myth propagated by the media and people like Michael Moore.
    http://www.heritage.org/Research/Nat...ity/wm1244.cfm
    Ah yes, the Heritage Foundation whose mission statement reads, "...Founded in 1973, The Heritage Foundation is a research and educational institute - a think tank - whose mission is to formulate and promote conservative public policies".

And of course the high-school education rates are high in the military vs. the public - you need to have a high-school education to be accepted intot he military, but you don't need one to walk the streets as a civilian.
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002 View Post
    so a thread is lame if it includes some criticism of democrats, but if it involves flogging republicans its legit? Now that is lame.
    There is plenty of criticism for the Dems as well but what irks me is how right-wingers like you and Ben cling to the lamest of stories and make your rhetorical bull**** and baseless statements. There is party loyalty and then there is just the need to win and I'm sorry you guys just want to win AT ALL COST. But you have lost touch with reality as to why you vote Republican to begin with. The pillars of the modern GOP are in shambles, if any are left standing at all. And the pillars of the GOP that Barry Goldwater helped build have long been stolen and/or carried away by radical fundamentalist (that Barry personally despised....which is why I firmly believe he would be a Dem today if he were alive).
    Ok, government has ballooned under this administration, but the path it has taken is not one the democrats would take and that is where the difference is. Today we are doing much better economically. The deficit is much lower per centage wise than ever before. Take a look at tell us what drugs you are using.

Ben
    Now you are just resorting to jibberish since you clearly have no understanding of the facts nor a clue what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup View Post
    You seem almost too eager to fall for Republican spin. Or did you indeed forget that there was no deficit, but a surplus under Clinton from 1998 to 2001? http://mediamatters.org/items/200604130002
    Ah those were the days. A real Republican house, and of course the "DOT BOMB" stock market that enriched a few fat cats like former DNC chair Terry MacAuliffe. Not to mention the massive downsizing of the military and intelligence establishments. Suddenly those "savings" don't seem to prudent, do they?
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Try telling that to the more than 40 million folks without health insurance in this country. Yes, we are the ONLY major western civilization without a national healthcare system.

Try telling that to the school teachers who have to send their kids home with requests for money from parents, to buy basic things like BOOKS! We are the only major western civilization without a federalized education system.

Try telling that to the millions who are working on the minimum wage, which the Bush administration has repeatedly refused to increase.

Try telling that to the millions (myself included) who will never see a penny of social security in 30 years' time because the government has essentially been borrowing from the SS fund ever since it was created.

Try telling that to the Chinese - who are laughing themselves silly because they freakin' OWN this country - they hold a massive portion of the national debt, and pretty soon they're gonna call it in, and then we're screwed!

Try telling that to the poor suckers being affected by global warming, as a direct result of this administration's in-bed approach to the oil industry. We are still the MAJOR party that has not signed Kyoto.

So, yes, in your eyes the economy may be doing better, but at what cost? The country (and the planet) are being raped before our very eyes, by a bunch of right wing religious bigot marauders, with no goal other than to line their own poskets. I'm not saying it was any better under Clinton's admin, but PLEASE, don't BS me that the economy is doing well.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever View Post
    Ah those were the days. A real Republican house, and of course the "DOT BOMB" stock market that enriched a few fat cats like former DNC chair Terry MacAuliffe. Not to mention the massive downsizing of the military and intelligence establishments. Suddenly those "savings" don't seem to prudent, do they?
    Another series of overyl poor excuses, because

- House is still Republican
    - Stock Market/Dow Jones is at or near all time high, meaning higher than when Clinton was president
    - Bush's increase in spending is record high also without counting military spending

Bush junior is a total loser, face it, even if it is tough to accept.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    There is plenty of criticism for the Dems as well but what irks me is how right-wingers like you and Ben cling to the lamest of stories and make your rhetorical bull**** and baseless statements. There is party loyalty and then there is just the need to win and I'm sorry you guys just want to win AT ALL COST. But you have lost touch with reality as to why you vote Republican to begin with. The pillars of the modern GOP are in shambles, if any are left standing at all. And the pillars of the GOP that Barry Goldwater helped build have long been stolen and/or carried away by radical fundamentalist (that Barry personally despised....which is why I firmly believe he would be a Dem today if he were alive).

when all else fails, its always back to namecalling, labels, and insults, isnt it, hd? typical garbage. someone appears to be a little agitated here, dont they?
    Last edited by vw2002; 11/03/2006 at 09:41 AM.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Ah yes, the Heritage Foundation whose mission statement reads, "...Founded in 1973, The Heritage Foundation is a research and educational institute - a think tank - whose mission is to formulate and promote conservative public policies".

And of course the high-school education rates are high in the military vs. the public - you need to have a high-school education to be accepted intot he military, but you don't need one to walk the streets as a civilian.
    You are provided facts that go against your uneducated statements and of course you disagree with the source that reports the information without researching the information yourself.

Then on one hand you spout that the recruiters target uneducated, then you turn around and say that of course they have a higher % of high school graduates because it is required.

You stated that 90% + of enlisted have less than a 2 year degree whtn the enlist, that really took some thought on your part did'nt it. Most 18-21 year olds have less than a 2 year degree regardless of what profession they are in. Brilliant!

Do you know what the GI Bill is? It is not designed to help GI's catch up to the education level of their civilian counter parts as you seem to think, it is a program to assist in educational expenses. Many companies have a tuition assistance program for their employees, does that mean their employees are uneducated?

It is a common misconception that the military enlisted force is uneducated and that misconception is continued through indiviuals who do not educate themselves on the facts and rely on political talking points of the day.

I see why you defend flip-flop Kerry, you seem to pattern your own debate tactics after his.,
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast