Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 130
  1. PSB22's Avatar
    Posts
    192 Posts
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    #81  
    I don't understand what all the fuss is... he basically said something that is 100% true, i.e. if you don't do well in school, in today's economic environment you are left with very few career options (other than working at WalMart) apart from the armed services.

    The truth is, army recruiters don't hang around ivy-lleague colleges, they hang around inner city high schools, preying on very poor, predominantly black kids, because they're easy pickings. They have no other career prospects because this and previous governments have utterly failed at providing them with a sound education that equips them for competing in a global economy.

    Maybe 5 years ago you coould be in the natl. guard and escape active duty, but not these days. If you join up right now, there's a pretty much 100% chance you're going to Iraq. Heck, some folks are even on their 3rd and 4th turns of duty out there.

    So, tell me what is so wrong with what Kerry said?
    Bad school grades --> no career prospects --> join the army --> end up in Iraq. Sounds pretty logical to me!
  2. vw2002's Avatar
    Posts
    904 Posts
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
       #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by PSB22 View Post
    I don't understand what all the fuss is... he basically said something that is 100% true, i.e. if you don't do well in school, in today's economic environment you are left with very few career options (other than working at WalMart) apart from the armed services.

    The truth is, army recruiters don't hang around ivy-lleague colleges, they hang around inner city high schools, preying on very poor, predominantly black kids, because they're easy pickings. They have no other career prospects because this and previous governments have utterly failed at providing them with a sound education that equips them for competing in a global economy.

    Maybe 5 years ago you coould be in the natl. guard and escape active duty, but not these days. If you join up right now, there's a pretty much 100% chance you're going to Iraq. Heck, some folks are even on their 3rd and 4th turns of duty out there.

    So, tell me what is so wrong with what Kerry said?
    Bad school grades --> no career prospects --> join the army --> end up in Iraq. Sounds pretty logical to me!
    You think it`s ok to call our current armed forces undereducated or intellectually lazy? wow. that`s REALLY something!
  3. #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by PSB22 View Post
    The truth is, army recruiters don't hang around ivy-lleague colleges, they hang around inner city high schools, preying on very poor, predominantly black kids, because they're easy pickings. They have no other career prospects because this and previous governments have utterly failed at providing them with a sound education that equips them for competing in a global economy.
    Sorry, but I'm going to have to call BS on that one.
  4. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by PSB22 View Post
    I don't understand what all the fuss is... he basically said something that is 100% true, i.e. if you don't do well in school, in today's economic environment you are left with very few career options (other than working at WalMart) apart from the armed services.

    The truth is, army recruiters don't hang around ivy-lleague colleges, they hang around inner city high schools, preying on very poor, predominantly black kids, because they're easy pickings. They have no other career prospects because this and previous governments have utterly failed at providing them with a sound education that equips them for competing in a global economy.

    Maybe 5 years ago you coould be in the natl. guard and escape active duty, but not these days. If you join up right now, there's a pretty much 100% chance you're going to Iraq. Heck, some folks are even on their 3rd and 4th turns of duty out there.

    So, tell me what is so wrong with what Kerry said?
    Bad school grades --> no career prospects --> join the army --> end up in Iraq. Sounds pretty logical to me!

    Let me take a wild guess here.... You have not served in the US Armed Forces. You do not know anyone in the US Armed Forces. You only watch CNN for your news.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
  5. PSB22's Avatar
    Posts
    192 Posts
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs View Post
    Sorry, but I'm going to have to call BS on that one.
    Err, well actually no, all you have to do is just read about it on any of the 1.8 million hits that show up when you google for "army recuiters target poor". There's plenty of information on how recruiters target schools in poor areas and stay away from "nicer" schools. Heck, some education boards have even passed by-laws banning recruiters from their campuses - just see http://milrec.nyclu.org/ for an explanation of some of the issues being raised.

    Quote Originally Posted by cardio View Post
    Let me take a wild guess here.... You have not served in the US Armed Forces. You do not know anyone in the US Armed Forces. You only watch CNN for your news.
    I know plenty of people in the armed forces both at home in the UK (the US' only ally in this war) and here in the USA. And you're wrong on CNN - I get my news from the BBC, PBS and of course the onion

    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002 View Post
    You think it`s ok to call our current armed forces undereducated or intellectually lazy? wow. that`s REALLY something!
    You're missing the point. As you will see from other posts here (e.g. the "deploying tomorrow" post) I have the utmost respect for those who are in the armed forces. However, that does not mean I have to stand by and watch military recruiters selectively target the poor and undereducated, so they can fill the ranks that have been left empty by the desertion of a generation of college graduates. The fact exists that this country still has massive seggregation in education, albeit now on economic grounds rather than racial.

    The army is screaming for new recruits, and they're having to offer huge monetary incentives to get people to join. Desertion is at an all time high. Morale is low because of multiple or continuous deployments, even for "reserve" troops. You do not have to be a rocket scientist to realize that with 100 troops a month dying in Iraq, it is not a very intelligent thing to sign up for right now. The army has no option BUT to target poor inner city schools - they're the only ones with students DESPERATE enough to sign up for such a crazy scheme!
  6. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by PSB22 View Post
    Err, well actually no, all you have to do is just read about it on any of the 1.8 million hits that show up when you google for "army recuiters target poor". There's plenty of information on how recruiters target schools in poor areas and stay away from "nicer" schools. Heck, some education boards have even passed by-laws banning recruiters from their campuses - just see http://milrec.nyclu.org/ for an explanation of some of the issues being raised.



    I know plenty of people in the armed forces both at home in the UK (the US' only ally in this war) and here in the USA. And you're wrong on CNN - I get my news from the BBC, PBS and of course the onion



    You're missing the point. As you will see from other posts here (e.g. the "deploying tomorrow" post) I have the utmost respect for those who are in the armed forces. However, that does not mean I have to stand by and watch military recruiters selectively target the poor and undereducated, so they can fill the ranks that have been left empty by the desertion of a generation of college graduates. The fact exists that this country still has massive seggregation in education, albeit now on economic grounds rather than racial.

    The army is screaming for new recruits, and they're having to offer huge monetary incentives to get people to join. Desertion is at an all time high. Morale is low because of multiple or continuous deployments, even for "reserve" troops. You do not have to be a rocket scientist to realize that with 100 troops a month dying in Iraq, it is not a very intelligent thing to sign up for right now. The army has no option BUT to target poor inner city schools - they're the only ones with students DESPERATE enough to sign up for such a crazy scheme!
    You really should research before you post.

    The Army met the recruiting goal this year.
    http://www.washtimes.com/national/20...2353-8168r.htm

    If you talk with the troops on the ground you will see the morale is not low as you claim. Look at the picture posted asking "John Carry to halp us", that is not from low morale. Look at the percentage of individuals who volunteer to extend their deployment or request additional tours.

    Just so you have a few facts, the military also recruits scientist, engineers, lawyers, physicians, dentist, in addition to individuals with varied college degrees. It is normally difficult to find those individuals in the poor, uneducated ranks.

    Post such as yours are ridiculed by the men and women in uniform. Your post presents uneducated statements and we get a laugh out of them.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
  7. #87  
    Here is something that may be of interest.

    "While a Republican backlash against Kerry could help determine the outcome of a few razor-close congressional races, it's highly unlikely to change enough votes to determine the battle for control of Congress, analysts said.

    "The impact will be very, very minimal," said Stuart Rothenberg of the nonpartisan Rothenberg Political Report. "This election is not about John Kerry. It is about George Bush and the war in Iraq."

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/usa_elections_kerry_dc
  8. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix View Post
    Here is something that may be of interest.

    "While a Republican backlash against Kerry could help determine the outcome of a few razor-close congressional races, it's highly unlikely to change enough votes to determine the battle for control of Congress, analysts said.

    "The impact will be very, very minimal," said Stuart Rothenberg of the nonpartisan Rothenberg Political Report. "This election is not about John Kerry. It is about George Bush and the war in Iraq."

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/usa_elections_kerry_dc
    I do not disagree at all. The statements hurt his future more than the individuals who are trying to be elected now. It also solidified the reason he is not the Commander in Chief.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
  9. #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix View Post
    "The impact will be very, very minimal," said Stuart Rothenberg of the nonpartisan Rothenberg Political Report. "This election is not about John Kerry. It is about George Bush and the war in Iraq."

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/usa_elections_kerry_dc
    Nonpartisan, maybe. Unbiased? Not. This election isn't "about George Bush and the war in Iraq." That's a Dem talking point. This election is about the state and local politicians people like the best (or dislike the least). I seeriously doubt any sizable percentage of voters who would otherwise have voted for a Republican candidate are going to switch because of Bush and the war.
  10. #90  
    I have heard experts on both sides on this issue. Personally it goes right to the heart of why this man is not the man of the people that he presents himself to be. He has zero use for the everyday person. Let him keep his ketchup.

    Ben
  11. #91  
    Is there any definite statistics on the education level of the GI's? Maybe even from the Army itself? That would settle whether poor and uneducated are disproportionately represented in the armed forces.

    As for the brouhaha about Kerry, it is clearly not politically correct to say what Kerry did. Look what happened to him!!
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  12. #92  
    The Defense Department has those stats published. It takes a while to get to them. I just took a short cut and sent DOD a request for it. Ben
  13. #93  
    I do not know if these links work:

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xsaw7tmBltE

    As I was playing with the YouTube thing with Kinoma 4EX, I noted a new video by a soldier from Iraq - he was speaking of his education. I went to the site and cannot find it.

    Be
  14. #94  
    Here is the link:

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=7xANCqWQams

    Another -

    Enough of John Kerry.

    Ben
  15. #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs View Post
    Nonpartisan, maybe. Unbiased? Not. This election isn't "about George Bush and the war in Iraq." That's a Dem talking point.
    Dem talking point [x] yes [ ] no
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs View Post
    This election is about the state and local politicians people like the best (or dislike the least). I seeriously doubt any sizable percentage of voters who would otherwise have voted for a Republican candidate are going to switch because of Bush and the war.
    Republican talking point [x] yes [ ] no


    we will see who is right, I suspect that it is a combination of both
  16. #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio View Post
    I do not disagree at all. The statements hurt his future more than the individuals who are trying to be elected now. It also solidified the reason he is not the Commander in Chief.
    I doubt Kerry had a political future even before this. Too many other stronger Dem candidates out there. Candidates that can actually talk their way out of a paper bag, which Kerry unfortunately cannot.
  17. #97  
    There are very few issues the republicans can be hit on at a national level - the war (sure). The economy? not really - it is very strong. The deficit? Not really when you look at the per centage against the gross and then look at it when Clinton was in office - big difference it is now under 2% and with the economy like it is, that amount though large is really insignificant.

    Bush has finally done something about immigration, which the democrats do not like and frankly do not support.

    Here in Hawaii Governor Linda Lingle (R) and Iwasi (D) had their debate and Iwasi focussed solely on the national issues - he looked like a fool. Hawaii's economy has grown since she took office, a deficit of around $200 million to over $700 million (that is a huge jump) since she took office.

    On a local level the democrats have no issues of importance and very few issues on the national level.

    More taxes do not equate to better living. Lower taxes means more money and that means all of us benefit.

    If you think that pulling out of Iraq is a good deal, you had better think when the next attack on this country will be. Nancy and Johnnie and Jessie want the American public to think they have all the answers - they do too - right down to making us dependent on them.

    With Hillary we just know that from day to day her stance changes.

    With Kerry we know another lie will happen real soon.

    God help us if Nancy makes it to her next post - she is a lost soul when it comes to real issues.

    Ben
  18. #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    With Hillary we just know that from day to day her stance changes.

    With Kerry we know another lie will happen real soon.

    God help us if Nancy makes it to her next post - she is a lost soul when it comes to real issues.

    Ben
    actually I am hoping that Dianne Feinstein thinks about running in 2008. She is a real winner in my book.
  19. #99  
    I know you are not serious. Ben
  20. #100  
    I am serious but OK who do you think is the strongest dem candidate?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions