1.    #1  
    I'm thinking about replacing Hotmail with another free web-based email service. Hotmail has too many "We're sorry, try back later"-type problems for my taste.

Has anyone used anything else? How reliable do you find it?
    Jeff
    Originally posted by PDAENVY
    I'm thinking about replacing Hotmail with another free web-based email service. Hotmail has too many "We're sorry, try back later"-type problems for my taste.

Has anyone used anything else? How reliable do you find it?
    I've had pretty good luck with yahoo mail. They're almost never down in my experience.
    I have been on Yahoo mail for about 2 years now. In that time I have only been down about 10 times, only one of those was over a day. I am happy with them.
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by pda4you
    I have been on Yahoo mail for about 2 years now. In that time I have only been down about 10 times, only one of those was over a day. I am happy with them.
    I have to say that by my own personal standard, that's not exactly a glowing review of reliability.
    Jeff
    I like Yahoo. I've only had a downtime once in the last 4 years, and IT was gone in 3 minutes. I am worried though abotu yahoo going bankrupt. They are a staple of the web, If they go, what will be left? VC of course!

I did just set up my mom with yahoo, so I would recommend that, and besides yahoo has become good again, they've liscened google, use BSD, and they have this awesome thing of being to call for your e-mail from all around the country for free! (It will read your e-mail to you!)

-miradu2000
    I also use Yahoo. I like the toolbar they let me dl for IE5. Shows a little bell when I have new email.
    i still use hotmail, not too bad
    all around good guy

brandon
    drop me a line
    I have to say that by my own personal standard, that's not exactly a glowing review of reliability.
    Why not tell us what you're looking for in a free service? It looks like that your personal standards needs defining here.

( BTW, a listing of free E-Mail providers, web based and forwards, can be found at www.fpeg.net. There's also a message board there to get further feedback. And a review section. )
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by ProjectZero

Why not tell us what you're looking for in a free service? It looks like that your personal standards needs defining here.

( BTW, a listing of free E-Mail providers, web based and forwards, can be found at www.fpeg.net. There's also a message board there to get further feedback. And a review section. )
    I do not have firm criteria. The point of my second comment was that if I believed that I would experience service outages from my email on average 5 times a year, I would not rate it as "extremely reliable". If you're asking me how many times per year it would be OK to experience outages and still earn my "extremely reliable" label, I don't know, but less than 5.

BTW, thanks for the link!
    Jeff
    perhaps we need to clarify your demand, not your criteria.

I personally would accept 5 times per year as exceptional performance. I check 4 times per weekday (once on arrival at work, once at lunch, once before I leave and once at home) and twice daily at weekends. ie a total of c.1250 times a year (2*2*52 + 5*4*52).

5 times a year equates around a 0.4% failure rate
    In the last year I've had Yahoo its maybe gone down a couple of times, never for long amounts of time though. There was a period of about a week where my POP3 access was screwed up, but even then I could check it over the web.

Originally posted by miradu2000
    I like Yahoo. I've only had a downtime once in the last 4 years, and IT was gone in 3 minutes. I am worried though abotu yahoo going bankrupt. They are a staple of the web, If they go, what will be left?
    I really think that another company would step in and buy them rather than let them go bankrupt & go away, too much name brand recognition. They say they don't want to merge or be bought out but if they do so bad that they're gonna go bankrupt (Like eToys) then I'm sure they'd give in. I think the same for Amazon too...
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I have used NetAddress for three years without any problems. Their free service was taken over by Amexmail.com at one point, and they started charging for their premium features such as forwarding. But another service called email.com came up and used the netaddress engine for all the same services for free.

I find the forwarding feature the distinguishing feature that makes this service the best.
    Jeff Schaffer
    jschaffer@usa.net
    I have a Yahoo account, a Hotmail Account, a Mail.com Account, and a Netaddress (usa.net) Account.

Yahoo is by far the fastest and easiest to use. Plus the 6MB space it gives you is so much better than Hotmail's 2MB. I check e-mail 50 times a day (well, my Outlook checks it for me every 10 minutes, plus I check on the web also). Yahoo's been down about 10 times in the past year, which is significantly less than Hotmail (more than 20 times). I check Mail.com and Netaddress only about once or twice a week, and percentage-wise, they're down much more than Yahoo or Hotmail.

yeah, i wrote that ...