Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    My son is looking to join the ROTC, so they can take care of his college plans (pre-med) I want him to talk to people that have gone thru it, can anyone here let me know what to look for and questions to ask.
    Well I can't speak from first person experiences, but many of my friends were in ROTC in school and it matured those Men and Women greatly. My friends in ROTC made better grades than those of us that were not in ROTC and they were in better physical condition. If your child decides to do it I think it would be great, but make sure he signs his contract. I had a few buddies join the reserve and "participate" in all of the ROTC activities, but when it got going in the desert, they were shipped off with their units, disrupting their civillian lives. Hope this helps.
    When the dark clouds gather on the horizon, when thunder and lightning fills the sky, When fate is but a glint in the eye of a fallen Rattler, And hopes are lost friends, When the sinew of the chest grows weary from those hard-charging linebackers, And the muscles in the legs grow tired from those hard-charging running backs ... You must remember that the Rattlers will... Strike, Strike, and Strike again.
    My nephew did Navy ROTC and is now on a submarine. I can only tell you that this is one of the finest young men I've ever met. I blame ROTC.
    I did my time in ROTC and grew up as a mil brat. It's a great experience and will teach them many things the average young person misses out on. There is a commitment involved and they must be willing to fulfill it. It's a great opportunity and given the chance all over again, I'd jump all over it. It's worth it!!
    I took an ROTC class to fullfil my degree plan. I took it my last semester. Had I taken it sooner, I would have stayed in it. It was one of the best things I did.
    visor deluxe->clie n760->treo 300->treo 600->treo 650 -> treo 700p -> treo 755p
    ROTC - the building of character is very important in today's world. The building of character and discipline makes for a successful person that can stand proud of his/her accomplishments.

The best thing many can do. Supporting the freedom that most of us take for granted is the most important thing anyone can do.

Ben
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    Thanks everyone, as a parent, it tugs at you to be proud and afraid of the future for them. I must have skipped this chapter in the parents guide to raising children.
    It is a natural thing to be concerned about our children. The future lies in their hands and it is out responsibility to provide the guidance necessary for them to reach their full potential. Ben
    I'm a product of ROTC. The army paid for all 4 years of college and now I'm a commissioned officer in the US Army. I must say it developed me greatly.

I say go for it... My biggest suggestion is find which school he wants to go to, seek out their ROTC program (if they have one) and go speak with their personnel. Typically you should schedule a meeting/tour and go with him to meet the PMS (professor of military science). He should tell him how interested he is in it, how dedicated he will be, etc, etc. Really sugar-coat it. He has to want it more than anyone else. It's possible to get a scholarship this way.

Now he could go the normal route and apply for the ROTC scholarship via means of application and selection process... Long, drawn out, not guranteed... OR he could go meet the PMS and possibly interview for the money (as I noted above). Every PMS has so much money to toss around, some may have used all theirs up, some can't give it away, just depends. It's how I got my 4 years paid for.

What they may end up doing as well, he could go to school, paid for by you or loans for the first year and just enroll in the program. He would be in ROTC just not on scholarship. Then if they like him after that year they may throw him a 3 year scholarship and I think the Army is paying back student loans... So you MIGHT get that first year paid back as well. I dont know the ins and outs of that though.

Bottom line, kiss *** to that PMS... He has a lot of say in what happens.

Oh, and the Army provides what they call an "educational delay". If he's picked up for the scholarship and owes 4 years of service afterwards, he MIGHT not have to go in RIGHT OUT of college. If he's pre-med what he will want to do is (when nearing senior year) apply for an "educational delay". That means instead of going straight into the Army (he will commission when he graduates) he will be allowed to go finish grad school and come back and join the Army. Heck, the Army even has ways to pay for grad school. I plan on doing that here soon utilizing the ACS (Advanced Civil Schooling) where I will be a civilian going to school for my grad degree and still getting my CPT pay. But that's neither here nor there.

So go for it, let me know if you have any questions...
    dailyOFFTOPIC.com
    The cure for boredom. Talk anything.
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    Thanks Un4given, right now he has applied to Marquette University in Milwaukee, Wi. and is going to the Navy side. We are going to set up appointments to go and visit and look everything over. Thanks for the tips.
    Now I look forward to upgrading from my 600 to 680 Finally