1.    #1  
    Today Power Lunch will air what someone believes "Ginger" is. He has a picture of it in a magazine. And, of course, true to form, it will be the last story close to the 2 o'clock hour.
    I don't think that's Ginger, especially if Ginger's supposed to be sold for around $2000. See Way Cool Moller Sky Car thead.
    This story was on TechTV News last night as well. They showed a drawing of it. It looked very much like the 2 wheeled scooter that we've all sen, but with more detail. One this they did mention was that they believe it is powered by hydrogen, and has a "unique" engine.

IMHO, more hype, that's all. They had to bring the story back to the top again...
    Originally posted by LarryN
    IMHO, more hype, that's all. They had to bring the story back to the top again...
    I don't think it worked... I didn't even see it on any other news channel.. I think ginger's 15 minutes of fame are up..
    "One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’." -- Douglas Adams
    Personally I don't know why CNBC and other people gave this guy the time of day. Hes basing all of what Ginger is off of those patents that were filed, which everyone around the internet has been doing since day 1.
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
    Assuming that "ginger" is some form of personal transportation device, then it is doomed to the limited market of scooters, roller blades, and golf carts. Why? Weather.

I've been on the lookout for some more efficient form of personal transportation since I first learned to ride a bike. My complaints at the time were:

1 - Hills. Tough going up them. Fun going down.
    2 - Weather. Snow, Ice, Rain, cold, too hot, and even muddy conditions took the fun out of riding my bike.
    3 - Flat tires. You couldn't go anywhere with one.

Since then (30+ years later) I solved the hill problem by getting first a moped, and then a motorscooter (Honda 250 Aero). Tires improved to the point that they rarely go flat on just a sticker or rock. But bad weather still makes me resort to my inefficient car.

Now if "Ginger" came with a magic force field that kept rain, cold, wind, bugs, spray, and other elements off of you, and kept you warm (or cool) and entertained (stereo Satellite Radio, anyone?), it might have a chance. We Humans are spoiled by the moving environments we call cars.

My 2 cents.

Dave B.
    There is nothing yet made by man that cannot be improved upon.
    My old boss...his dad was CEO of Bell Atlantic...and from what he told me (almost a year ago before all the Ginger hubub) was that he was invited with his Dad to go seen something so amazing that it would change the world. Well they went to see it...and he told me it was amazing...

but he also wouldn't tell me what it was...NDA's.

So...BS or not...it would seem weird that he would mention it to me...way before the press got ahold of it.

my 3 cents and some pocket lint.
    I saw that everyone else had a signature and I felt left out, so here is mine.
    The supposed inventor of "Ginger" has already demonstrated balance and motion technology that potentially will change the way wheelchair bound people are treated and limited. Why potentially? Because it's VERY expensive. It can balance any load on two wheels and react even when the load suddenly changes to remain balanced. It can lift the seated up to eyelevel with standing adults and remain safely balanced.

Knowing this, and having seen the wheelchair in action, there is no doubt in my mind that he and his company of engineers could create a working and self-balancing personal transportation device much like the pictures floating around. I also believe his company is creative enough to apply some very clever engine technology (Sterling engine, anyone?) to the device to make it go.

But change the world? Not in Kansas. Weather, again! If it can't completely replace my need for a car year round for local transportation then it won't be any more successful than motor scooters. Yea, it may make it closer to my destination than a scooter that has to be parked, but I'll bet it won't be cheaper.

I design products and teach product design. I've seen and helped develop many "change the world" products that impress potential investors, but fail outside the marketing showroom when real world conditions burst the "amazing" balloon.

Is it another telephone? A better TV? A universal cure for cancer, maybe? My advice is: Don't buy one the first year no matter how amazing it seems. If you don't need it today, you won't need it tomorrow. And if you still want it, it'll be cheaper and more refined the second year.

If it's a self balancing two-wheeled chariot then ask two questions: Does it come with a hard top?, and Will it still stand up if a circuit fails?

Dave ;-)
    I don't think it could change world if it does indeed sell for $2,000. Thats still quite a chunk of change and like DBrown said about weather, people won't give up their car because people aren't going to go on this thing in bad weather or imagine it at high speeds? All sorts of stuff could be flying at you, especially on a windy day.

Maybe it will be the motorcycle of the future? Hehe, I can just see 50 years from now that guys with tatoos and big beards getting off their "Gingers" and go'n into bars.
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
    I just can't picture myself getting very excited at all over any kind of "scooter", they only thing that would definitely get my attention is one of those Back to The Future hoverboards, now that would be kool.. anything less is just yawn material.
    "One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’." -- Douglas Adams
    I firmly believe that there's some groundbreaking technology going into the the Ginger project. So, the scooter is most likely the first commercial application of the technology. I'm leaning towards the Sterling engine, or a derivative of it.

This would lead to adaptation of the technology that could change the world. It'll be interesting though. With all the hype of so many products that fizzle out when released, I hope this isn't another. The inventor group has really come up with some incredible ideas already.
    I believe that one of the possible applications for this product would be a PRA (Personal Robotic Assistant). One of the biggest problems with robots has been the mobility issue. This may very well open the door for mobile PRA's!
    <><
    Originally posted by LanMan
    I believe that one of the possible applications for this product would be a PRA (Personal Robotic Assistant). One of the biggest problems with robots has been the mobility issue. This may very well open the door for mobile PRA's!
    Excellent Point! Think a little about it, and you wonder why a scooter would be named "Ginger". All scooters on the market now have names like Blasto or Razor or Zip or Aero. But if it WAS a PRA, then "Ginger" or "Fred" or any other real name would be natural.

I have my students try to come up with catchy names for their product ideas. The only project that got products with human names was a Personality Robot assignment. Anything else (like chair design) got names like "Z-Chair" or "Fit", or "PhDesk" or "Bachelor's Chest".

A PRA? Could be!

Dave