Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 27 of 27
  1. vw2002's Avatar
    Posts
    904 Posts
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
       #21  
    "theoretical scientist".....hahahaha
    oh man, now THAT is funny!!!
    I gotta have more cowbell
  2. vw2002's Avatar
    Posts
    904 Posts
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
       #22  
    what cracks me up is how serious HE is as he plays around with his virtual crayons. lol. We might say things like that as we crack jokes about women sometimes, but this guy is actually "professing" to you!! I mean that's priceless.

    so its going to take a brain scan to determine whether words happen before thoughts? lol.
    I gotta have more cowbell
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    I'm cracking up over the "serious" discussion over this video.

    The guy is a theoretical scientist. He has come up with a hypothesis that seems to cover the observations .. so far.

    The naysayers will have to prove him wrong (by brain scans or something showing the sequence in which the parts of the brain fire).
    To go along with the serious discussion over such an asinine lecture (and since I love neuroscience) it's quite easy to show which areas of the brain "fire" when producing speech from thought, parts involved are Wernicke's area and Broca's area in the temporal lobe and inferior frontal gyrus, respectively. Set up an MRI visualization, or just find people with brain damage to these areas; in patients with Wernicke's aphasia they babble fluently in an incoherent manner whereas patients with Broca's aphasia can speak coherently but their speech is severely broken up and stunted. Case in point, in all language-proficient male and female humans it is very easy to prove that "thoughts" in the brain are required before any form of speech can be uttered. Gotta love Science....
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio View Post
    My interpretation of your comments led me to conclude that you believe that anyone you consider religious (which I am sure I would fall into that category due to my belief and faith in God) to be ignorant
    That's not what I think or said
    arrogant
    No
    and make deductions without evidence.
    Well, that part is obvious. Faith and religion is based on making deductions without evidence.
    Your statement is getting quite close to being suppresive, it leads me to believe you might have a hard time accepting information or steps toward progress from someone who you would consider religious.
    I don't care if somebody is religious, a vegetarian, or a car mechanic, it is the content which matters.

    Still, from my perspective, it seems to be the case that highly religious communities are not the ones which are innovative and productive. Look at the US for instance. The centers of innovation and prosperity (Science, Technology, Economy) are all in liberal states where religion does not dominate, e.g. Silicon Valley, MIT, Manhattan, etc.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
  5. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup View Post
    That's not what I think or saidNoWell, that part is obvious. Faith and religion is based on making deductions without evidence.I don't care if somebody is religious, a vegetarian, or a car mechanic, it is the content which matters.

    Still, from my perspective, it seems to be the case that highly religious communities are not the ones which are innovative and productive. Look at the US for instance. The centers of innovation and prosperity (Science, Technology, Economy) are all in liberal states where religion does not dominate, e.g. Silicon Valley, MIT, Manhattan, etc.
    We disagree on how evidence supports faith and religion, we agree to disagree, no bigee.

    Your argument on religios communities not being innovative/productive attempts to compare two seperate items and tie them together without support. It is easy to pick an area and point out the spectacular and say it is because of lack of religion or do just the opposite with say crime rates (Oakland CA, Detroit MI, Philledelphia, DC) and say it is because of lack of religion. You can make a counter argument with large centers in the Bible belt such as the CDC in Atlanta GA, NASA in Houston and Alabama, or the technological industry in Virginia (Silicon Valley East) and say it is because of religion prospers in that area. This does not mean one caused the other.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio View Post
    We disagree on how evidence supports faith and religion, we agree to disagree, no bigee.

    Your argument on religios communities not being innovative/productive attempts to compare two seperate items and tie them together without support. It is easy to pick an area and point out the spectacular and say it is because of lack of religion or do just the opposite with say crime rates (Oakland CA, Detroit MI, Philledelphia, DC) and say it is because of lack of religion. You can make a counter argument with large centers in the Bible belt such as the CDC in Atlanta GA, NASA in Houston and Alabama, or the technological industry in Virginia (Silicon Valley East) and say it is because of religion prospers in that area. This does not mean one caused the other.
    NASA being in places like Houston and Alabama is an artificial thing (by government decree), just like the CDC. But it is true that correlation and causation are two different things.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
  7. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup View Post
    NASA being in places like Houston and Alabama is an artificial thing (by government decree), just like the CDC. But it is true that correlation and causation are two different things.
    That was my point. None of the examples provided (mine and yours) should be attributed to religious make-up of the community. If everyone involved in the research, development and production were from that region and held the same beliefs, then a correlation could be made, as it is we can not connect the dots.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions