1.    #1  
    Lots of books heve come out on these topics in the past few years. In preparation for my golden years (as especially as the paperback editions come out:-) let's prepare a list of such books.

It doesn't matter if the authors come at this from the left, right, or the middle. Let's get a list going, with any comments from people here who have read them. We are familiar with the inclinations of the folks here and can take these comments in perspective.

I'll get a list started (in no particular order). I haven't read any of these books, but intend to read pretty much all of these in due course.

PS: I need some conservative authors to add to this list!!! The pro-war/pro-administration books are in bold.

------------------------
    The Threatening Storm: The Case for Invading Iraq, by Kenneth Pollack, 9/2002

Bush at War by Bob Woodward, 11/2002

World on Fire: How Exporting Free Market Democracy Breeds Ethnic Hatred and Global Instability by Amy Chua, 1/2004

The 9/11 Commission Report: Final Report of the National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States, 8/2004

Plan of Attack by Bob Woodward, 10/2004

What We Owe Iraq: War and the Ethics of Nation Building by Noah Feldman, 10/2004

Squandered Victory: The American Occupation and the Bungled Effort to Bring Democracy to Iraq by Larry Diamond, 6/2005

The Assassins' Gate: America in Iraq by George Packer, 10/2005

Jawbreaker: The Attack on Bin Laden and Al Qaeda: A Personal Account by the CIA's Key Field Commander by Gary Berntsen, Ralph Pezzullo, 12/2005

State of War: The Secret History of the C.I.A. and the Bush Administration by James Risen, 1/2006

My Year in Iraq: The Struggle to Build a Future of Hope by L. Paul Bremer, Malcolm McConnell, 1/2006

Cobra II: The Inside Story of the Invasion and Occupation of Iraq by Michael R. Gordon and Bernard E. Trainor, 3/2006

The One Percent Doctrine by Ron Suskind, 6/2006

Imperial Hubris: Why the West is Losing the War on Terror by Michael Scheuer, 7/2004

Fiasco: The American Military Adventure in Iraq by Thomas E. Ricks, 7/2006

The End of Iraq: How American Incompetence Created a War Without End by Peter W. Galbraith, 7/2006

Blind Into Baghdad: America's War in Iraq by James Fallows, 8/2006

The Looming Tower: Al-Qaeda and the Road to 9/11 by Lawrence Wright, 8/2006

Imperial Life in the Emerald City: Inside Iraq's Green Zone by Rajiv Chandrasekaran, 8/2006

Hubris: The Inside Story of Spin, Scandal, and the Selling of the Iraq War by Michael Isikoff and David Corn, 9/2006

The Greatest Story Ever Sold: The Decline and Fall of Truth from 9/11 to Katrina by Frank Rich, 9/2006

Never Again: Securing America and Restoring Justice by John Ashcroft, 10/2006

Blood Brothers: Among the Soldiers of Ward 57 by Michael Weisskopf, 10/2006

State of Denial: Bush at War by Bob Woodward, 11/2006

The Iraq Study Group Report: The Way Forward - A New Approach by The Iraq Study Group (Author), James A. Baker III (Author), Lee H. Hamilton (Author), 12/2006
    Last edited by aprasad; 12/11/2006 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Added information
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Picked this up yesterday:

Imperial Life in the Emerald City: Inside Iraq's Green Zone

As the Baghdad bureau chief for the Washington Post, Chandrasekaran has probably spent more time in U.S.-occupied Iraq than any other American journalist, and his intimate perspective permeates this history of the Coalition Provisional Authority headquartered in the Green Zone around Saddam Hussein's former palace. He presents the tenure of presidential viceroy L. Paul Bremer between May 2003 and June 2004 as an all-too-avoidable disaster, in which an occupational administration selected primarily for its loyalty to the Bush administration routinely ignored the reality of local conditions until, as one ex-staffer puts it, "everything blew up in our faces." Chandrasekaran unstintingly depicts the stubborn cluelessness of many Americans in the Green Zoneólike the army general who says children terrified by nighttime helicopters should appreciate "the sound of freedom." But he sympathetically portrays others trying their best to cut through the red tape and institute genuine reforms. He also has a sharp eye for details, from casual sex in abandoned offices to stray cats adopted by staffers, which enable both advocates and critics of the occupation to understand the emotional toll of its circuslike atmosphere.

Will follow up after I finish it.
  3.    #3  
    Where are the conservative pundits? Have any of the supporters of war written books on it?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  4.    #4  
    Added books by James Risen and Ashcroft (finally, a conservative view of the happenings). Although, judging by the number of "I cannot comment on that" in his interview on NPR, the book won't be revealing that much.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    As I've mentioned many times before, I recommend the 9/11 Commission Report.
  6.    #6  
    Added. Still need more Conservative authors. Can't wait till Tenet's book :-)
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Anyone interested in this topic really ought to read Mark Twain's To the Person Sitting in Darkness. http://www.logosjournal.com/issue_4.3/twain.htm
  8.    #8  
    Added book by Bremer
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  9.    #9  
    Sorted list by date of publication.

Still looking for pro-administration books. Any Fox reporters written any books?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    The Threatening Storm: The Case for Invading Iraq, by Kenneth Pollack
    http://www.amazon.com/Threatening-St...bosnation0e-20
    I'm waiting for the book "The real reason we attacked Iraq" I don't think it will be done soon, as the administration is still changing the reason.

Perhaps the book will be released soon if they just blame Clinton :-)
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    The Threatening Storm: The Case for Invading Iraq, by Kenneth Pollack
    http://www.amazon.com/Threatening-St...bosnation0e-20
    From Council on Foreign Relations review:
    "This highly influential book, written as the Bush administration turned its sights on Saddam Husseinís regime, takes the reader back to the pre-war days of uncertainty about Saddamís weapons and his ties to major terrorist organizations, outlining a powerful case for a U.S. invasion of Iraq. Senior Fellow Kenneth Pollack argues that to prevent Saddam from acquiring nuclear weapons, the United States has little choice to topple the regime, eradicate its weapons of mass destruction, and rebuild the country as a prosperous and stable society."

I'm bolding this entry as a pro-war book.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by DHAnderson View Post
    I'm waiting for the book "The real reason we attacked Iraq" I don't think it will be done soon, as the administration is still changing the reason.

The Threatening Storm: The Case for Invading Iraq, by Kenneth Pollack would fit the bill, unless your emphasis is on "real" :-)

I'd read books by ex-administration people (who are currently retired) first, before reading books by think-tank scholars (like Pollack from the Brookings Inst.).

Books by Tenet, Powell would be good. I hope Wolfowitz is writing one too!!
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    What reason are they giving that they hadn't given before the invasion?
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    What reason are they giving that they hadn't given before the invasion?
    We know what they are no longer saying. They are no longer saying "weapons of mass destruction."
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    We know what they are no longer saying. They are no longer saying "weapons of mass destruction."
    We know that. But that's not sufficient to support his claim.
  17.    #17  
    Added the Iraq Study Group report.

Still looking for more pro-administration books ...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM

I suggest that the "real reason(s)" were to vindicate George H. W. Bush and to establish a permanent American presence in the Middle East like those in Germany and Korea. That is why bringing the troops home has not even made the agenda. Two generations hence we will still have troops in Iraq.

Fighting terrorism and weapons of mass destruction were mere excuses, hardly even related to the reasons.

The price has been a loss of American prestige and good will that will last for generations.
    At the Center of the Storm: My Years at the CIA
    by George Tenet

http://www.amazon.com/At-Center-Stor...bosnation0e-20