Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    I understand you're trying to be funny, but it is not funny and inappropriate.

You are showing a picture that is indirectly describing an adult having anal sex with what would be depicted as a child. Find something else that you feel shames the Republican Party, but your rape avatar is simply tasteless.

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    Again, nice try.
    Are you already making excuses for Dems? The media will either find guilty Republicans and Democrats or they won't. One would hope you would want anyone guilty punished.

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    I bet they have the crack Blue Dress team out on the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Why do you assume it's supposed to be two male elephants?........
    Because two straight elephants would be face-to-face?
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet View Post
    ..........Derogatory because pedaphelia is wrong. Sorry to impose my morality on you but it is not normal.
    I think that you will find that it is well within the range of "normal," whatever that means. It is immoral because it exploits the difference in age and status between the parties.

You need not worry about imposing your morality on me. If the majority society has been unable to do so, it is very unlikely that you can.
    Last edited by whmurray; 10/03/2006 at 11:41 AM.
    personally I've not been able to look at any of NRG's avatars since his infamous 4 eyed girl.

But since you've all been commenting on it, I have, despite my fears and trepidations, steeled myself to look upon it.

Its funny.

Its funny because it skewers the GOP right in their hypocrisy and phoniness.

Had Foley been a Dem we all know the GOP would have been out there screaming about how the Dems are the party of pedopiles.

Little wonder then that the right is a little confused now that the GOP has "stripped down" to reveal NAMBLA badges on their briefs.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man View Post
    I understand you're trying to be funny, but it is not funny and inappropriate.

You are showing a picture that is indirectly describing an adult having anal sex with what would be depicted as a child. Find something else that you feel shames the Republican Party, but your rape avatar is simply tasteless.
    If you think that is tasteless, you will really not like what the late night talk shows do with this.
    It appears to condone nambla acts, child rape and pedophilia. To each their own, I wouldn't have it as an avatar. Guess nrg is proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    personally I've not been able to look at any of NRG's avatars since his infamous 4 eyed girl.

But since you've all been commenting on it, I have, despite my fears and trepidations, steeled myself to look upon it.

Its funny.

Its funny because it skewers the GOP right in their hypocrisy and phoniness.

Had Foley been a Dem we all know the GOP would have been out there screaming about how the Dems are the party of pedopiles.

Little wonder then that the right is a little confused now that the GOP has "stripped down" to reveal NAMBLA badges on their briefs.
    Agreed, I wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    If you think that is tasteless, you will really not like what the late night talk shows do with this.
    It appears to condone nambla acts, child rape and pedophilia. To each their own, I wouldn't have it as an avatar. Guess nrg is proud of it.
    It is satire. Satire does not condone that which it chooses to ridicule. I think NRG has your number. "Nice try."
    So is painting your face black and saying 'mammy', still inappropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    It is satire. Satire does not condone that which it chooses to ridicule. I think NRG has your number. "Nice try."
    I guess what really gets me about this thread is the politicizing of such an sick issue for short term political gain. This crime will change a child's life forever until they die. They will have to deal with it for their whole lives. Not a nice game to play for a couple year term.

Instead of the Dems attacking the Rep party they should extend an arm to offer the Rep a chance to unite against such acts. If the press finds that some of their members have committed the same act, then they should hold that person accountable as well. Even if this was motivated by politicizing the issue, at least it is a more constructive way of doing it with still giving the perception of being the good guys.

I don't care if the perp is a homeless bum, a suicidal serial killer, a priest, your next door neighbor, or a politician that has written laws against this very act. There is little doubt that this is an act that has not only happened in the Rep party, and to portray it as such is either naive or dishonest. If one political party is going to accuse the other, as a party, of this act, then they had better be prepared for their party to be held accountable for the individual acts of their members as well without the mud slinging that anything in return must be Rove driven Rep back biting slander.

Individual accountability needs to be maintained. If there are members of either party that tried to silence the act or if members of either party knew of the act and did not report it, then they should also be held accountable as accomplices.
    This thread is worthless.
    So is painting your face black and saying 'mammy', still inappropriate.
    I did not intend to speak to whether or not it was appropriate. I was responding to your suggestion that his use of the graphic suggested that he condoned something or anything. One might more easily have inferred from his use of the graphic that he was offended by Congressman Foley and the leaders of his party. The thread suggests that you tried pretty hard to prefer any other implication to this one. That is why NRG kept responding "Nice try."

Quite frankly, I did not even notice the graphic until you called my attention to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal View Post
    I guess what really gets me about this thread is the politicizing of such an sick issue for short term political gain.....
    We all ought to be able to agree with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal View Post
    I guess what really gets me about this thread is the politicizing of such an sick issue for short term political gain. This crime will change a child's life forever until they die. They will have to deal with it for their whole lives. Not a nice game to play for a couple year term.

Instead of the Dems attacking the Rep party they should extend an arm to offer the Rep a chance to unite against such acts.
    What you describe as short term political gain has actually led to this issue being dealt with by the full scale investigation which is deserves, rather than being swept under the rug by the GOP leadership so as not to create embarrassement prior to the elections. I am glad we are raising a stink about this.

We should put the page program on hold until the investigation is complete.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs View Post
    Note that after dangling the bait, daThomas has chosen to refrain from the fray.
    it's not far from it. Enough with the sniping, folks.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix View Post
    ..........We should put the page program on hold until the investigation is complete.
    I do not know what the investigation might show that would vindicate the program or justify its continuation.

I think one can make a case that it is an anachronism. In the modern world, that little portion of the page's function that cannot be performed electronically, can be done by the huge (60K) congressional staff.

On the other hand, the presence of these young people appears to constitute a temptation for our law makers. If we keep the system, we can expect continuing abuse and, every twenty years or so, we can expect another scandal. As in this case, the scandals will be more political distraction than anything substantive.

Imagine a world in which elite young people spend their time talking about which of their elders are abusing their status by hittiing on them. It is time to end it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix View Post
    What you describe as short term political gain has actually led to this issue being dealt with by the full scale investigation which is deserves, rather than being swept under the rug by the GOP leadership so as not to create embarrassement prior to the elections. I am glad we are raising a stink about this.

We should put the page program on hold until the investigation is complete.
    Good, maybe you'll answer this question. The precedent has already been set, a sitting House Representative who had a full-fledged sexual relationship with a page went on to win re-election five times. Further, nobody is saying the GOP leadership knew about the IMs but they did know about a history of being "over friendly" and one e-mail in which a picture of a page was requested. The leadership talked to him about it and left it at that. Now, given all this information, does it really seem like there was a massive cover up of institutional abuse (as some would try to portray it)?
    Good, maybe you'll answer this question. The precedent has already been set, a sitting House Representative who had a full-fledged sexual relationship with a page went on to win re-election five times. Further, nobody is saying the GOP leadership knew about the IMs but they did know about a history of being "over friendly" and one e-mail in which a picture of a page was requested. The leadership talked to him about it and left it at that. Now, given all this information, does it really seem like there was a massive cover up of institutional abuse (as some would try to portray it)?
    I think that the GOP leadership knew about this for some time but did almost nothing, except tell Foley to be careful, or something like that. It may be the tip of the iceberg. I do not know. I don't trust the GOP leadership to handle this as an internal investigation. Is there a bigger coverup than we suspect now? I think it is possible, an independent investigation is needed to find out. I am glad that we raised enough stink about it to make that happen.

I think you conveniently leave out the GOP congressman who had an affair many years ago too didn't you? At any rate both him and the Democrat you cite above should have been kicked out of congress. That was then, not much we can do about it. This is now. Plenty we can do.

Lets have a full scale investigation, lets put the page program on hold. Lets find out to what extent there was a cover up for political reasons. Lets not let politics put our young people in harms way again.