Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    MSNBC is reporting that many Repubs are saying they think it is the Dems who leaked the info. The beginning of a rove spin?
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    MSNBC is reporting that many Repubs are saying they think it is the Dems who leaked the info. The beginning of a rove spin?
    Or the beginning of the whole story.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgarza View Post
    why is it that when a politician screw up the party gets attacked. I hate that I also hate it when a party stands up for a member that is meesing up. Each person needs to account for their own actions. Libs and conservatives should condem this guy.
    The problem here is that the Republican Party, particularly its far right wing, of which Congressman Foley is a member, likes to portray itself as "holier than thou." This is the party that wants to use the state to coerce people to an idea of morality that they cannot convince them of.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    The problem here is that the Republican Party, particularly its far right wing, of which Congressman Foley is a member, likes to portray itself as "holier than thou." This is the party that wants to use the state to coerce people to an idea of morality that they cannot convince them of.
    What would you consider examples of this?
    Isn't anyone even mildly outraged by the fact that higher ups in the "Party" knew about Foley's proclivities long before now, and nothing was apparently done to stop it?????????
    Quote Originally Posted by IEFesq View Post
    Isn't anyone even mildly outraged by the fact that higher ups in the "Party" knew about Foley's proclivities long before now, and nothing was apparently done to stop it?????????
    One nice thing about IM is that one need not accept a message from someone that one does not know, much less someone that one does know but does not want to talk to. Therefore, I am not even willing to judge Foley, much less Hastert.

Paedophiles are skilled at choosing language that communicates with the young people but which is otherwise innocent. One of the problems with "exploitation" of teenagers is that, however else they may feel about it, part of them likes it. They are neither skilled nor scrupulous in deciding whether or not a message is appropriate.

All that said, when dealing with young people, one should assume that where there is smoke, there is fire. Foley had a reputation of being overly friendly with the pages; that should have been enough. That it was not, represented an error of judgement on the part of the party leadership.
    nice avatar. I'm glad my political party is tolerant to gays. Your bigotry of gays is disapointing.

Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man View Post
    nice avatar. I'm glad my political party is tolerant to gays. Your bigotry of gays is disapointing.
    absolutely priceless
  9.    #49  
    Why do you assume it's supposed to be two male elephants? Edited to add why do you feel it's derogatory even if it is?
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Why do you assume it's supposed to be two male elephants? Edited to add why do you feel it's derogatory even if it is?
    I guessed in view of the horrible actions by this dude that it's an adult male elephant and a child male elephant.

That is the way political satire generally works.

Derogatory because pedaphelia is wrong. Sorry to impose my morality on you but it is not normal.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs View Post
    BINGO! We have a weiner. So, its okay if law-makers do this kind of thing as long as they aren't involved in making laws that protect against this type of thing. Does anyone else see anything wrong with this? Aren't you, by extension, saying that it would be better if he opposed legislation to protect kids? It might make him look less like a hypocrite but is it better for the country? In other words, if a law is a good law does it matter if it was written by a bad person?
    I have a visceral rage toward sanctimonious hypocrites, liars, phonies, and demogogues.

I feel this rage whether I think about pedophile priests preying upon choir boys; gay priests who energetically pursue their sexual appetites while publicly decrying premarital sex and efforts to end priestal celibacy; a Jimmy Swaggart who wails against sexuality while slumming in it; Gingrich, Livingston, Delay etc. who pose as moral judges of Clinton while they themselves were as guilty of as much and more; or of chicken hawks like junior, cheney, Sen. George Allen et al who strut about posing as war experts while they ducked out of war themselves -- but who bravely feel no shame at sending others to die for their glory.

That most of them happen to be men of god or repugnicans is maybe a coincidence.

755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  12. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Nice Try ATM, but if you look at it a little closer, you will notice that the other one is smaller.
  13. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet View Post
    I guessed in view of the horrible actions by this dude that it's an adult male elephant and a child male elephant.

That is the way political satire generally works.

Derogatory because pedaphelia is wrong. Sorry to impose my morality on you but it is not normal.
    You got it correct.
    "Tony Perkins, president of the Family Research Council and an important social conservative leader: "there's a real chance" that the episode could dethrone the Republican majority..."when a party holds itself out as the guardian of values, this is not helpful."

...New Fears For the GOP

...party strategists said the scandal threatens to depress turnout among Christian conservatives and could hamper efforts to convince undecided and swing voters that Republicans deserve to remain in the majority.

There was intense anger among social conservative activists in Washington yesterday, and some called for House Speaker J. Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.) to resign...

... Tony Perkins, president of the Family Research Council and an important social conservative leader, said "there's a real chance" that the episode could dethrone the Republican majority. "I think the next 48 hours are critical in how this is handled," he said, adding that "when a party holds itself out as the guardian of values, this is not helpful."

Foley's sudden resignation came at the end of a week that had delivered a series of blows to Republican hopes in November. A National Intelligence Estimate asserted that the war in Iraq is fueling new threats from Islamic jihadists faster than the United States and allies can contain them, then a new book by Bob Woodward of The Washington Post said the administration's private assessments of Iraq are far worse than officials are telling the public. Taken together, GOP strategists said, the events of the past 10 days reversed what some Republicans had seen as a modest rebound in September after the worst days of the summer.

By yesterday, a number of GOP strategists reported widespread gloom about the party's prospects, combined with intense anger at the House leadership.

Joe Gaylord, who was the top adviser to Newt Gingrich (Ga.) when Republicans seized control of the House in 1994, was pessimistic about the party's midterm prospects. He said the fallout from Foley's resignation comes "very close" to ensuring a Democratic victory in November.

"The part that causes the greatest fallout is the obvious kind of pall that an incident like this would put on our hardest-core voters, who are evangelical Christians," he said. "The thing I have said almost since this cycle began is the real worry you have is that [Republicans] just won't turn out. This is one more nail in that coffin."

Depressed turnout would not only hurt vulnerable House incumbents but also make it more difficult for Republicans to hold the most competitive Senate seats -- many of those races are now virtually even, according to recent polling.

Hastert faces a spreading revolt among some conservatives over the way he and other GOP leaders handled the matter when first alerted to the contact between Foley and one former House page. Hastert said again yesterday that no House Republican leader knew about the most graphic communications until they surfaced on Friday, but that did little to satisfy some conservative activists.

David Bossie, who runs a group called Citizens United, called yesterday for Hastert's resignation and said other conservative leaders are likely to follow suit. Bossie said the initial e-mails alone, which included Foley's request of a minor's picture, should have prompted an immediate inquiry. "That was a cry for an investigation," Bossie said. "Why couldn't the speaker of the House muster the will to stop this?"

Leaders from about six dozen socially conservative groups held a conference call late yesterday afternoon, and participants were described as livid with House GOP leaders.

"They are outraged by how Hastert handled this," said Paul M. Weyrich, a conservative activist who participated in the call. "They feel let down, left aside. How can they allow a guy like [Foley] to remain chairman of the committee on missing and exploited children when there is any question about e-mails?"

Vin Weber, a GOP lobbyist close to the White House and to congressional leaders, said many Republicans outside of Washington are echoing Bossie.

"From what I hear, it is resonating badly and our candidates are on the defensive about this," Weber said. "The maddening thing about this is if they had done the right thing" by informing Democrats early on and investigating it fully, "there would be no political fallout," he said.

..."I don't know of any race ever where the action of one member has impacted the race of another," said Carl Forti, spokesman for the National Republican Congressional Committee.

Republicans are bracing for ads that link previous scandals with the Foley case and ask, "Had enough?" Several strategists said this could be devastating in tight races. The most optimistic scenario offered by GOP strategists is that no new information surfaces and the controversy ends in the next five weeks...
    So you are making a 'joke' of a child being raped? Classless.

Nice Try ATM, but if you look at it a little closer, you will notice that the other one is smaller.
    btw, I predict this will open a can of worms for both sides of the aisle. I bet there are plenty of others who have made inappropriate contact with Pages both male and female. They will come forward now that this ***** was busted. So, once again the Dems will caught throwing rocks inside a glass house.
    btw, I predict this will open a can of worms for both sides of the aisle. I bet there are plenty of others who have made inappropriate contact with Pages both male and female. They will come forward now that this ***** was busted. So, once again the Dems will caught throwing rocks inside a glass house.
    no doubt you might be right -- that would be out of the classic GOP/Rove/junior playbook.

Dems voted for the war, Dems also took money from Abrahamoff, Clinton is responsible for 9/11 because he ignored Bin Laden...

Besides, it was just a bunch of "naughty emails" -- what's the big deal that they knew about and covered it up for maybe 5 years.
    I don't condone pedophiles. I hope each and every scumbag regardless of political affiliation gets caught. You'll know which one's they are, they'll be completely quiet on this discussion. You don't have to worry about any playbook, believe me the media is on this one like sticky rice.

Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    no doubt you might be right -- that would be out of the classic GOP/Rove/junior playbook.

Dems voted for the war, Dems also took money from Abrahamoff, Clinton is responsible for 9/11 because he ignored Bin Laden...

Besides, it was just a bunch of "naughty emails" -- what's the big deal that they knew about and covered it up for maybe 5 years.
  19. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    So you are making a 'joke' of a child being raped? Classless.
    Again, nice try.
  20. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    believe me the media is on this one like sticky rice.
    I bet they have the crack Blue Dress team out on the case.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast