Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 164
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    what makes this all so especially juicy is that he may well be charged and go to jail based on laws he himself promalgated and wrote.

    Ahhh --- I love the faint smell of hypocrisy in the morning ...
    Do you think those laws are appropriate?
  2. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs View Post
    I'm saying a level headed guy like you clearly wouldn't have posted such a list if you'd actually read it. Unless, of course, you're equating things like homosexuality, infidelity and divorce with sex crimes. If that's the case then you just need to remove the duplicates from your list and post another, equally researched list that shows Democrats are less likely to be involved in such activities and you will have proved your point.
    I am sure there are some duplicates there. I read most of it, just I am still on my UX180P's smallish KB. ( I am about 2 miles off the coast of Tarpon Springs on the boat, have been since mid week. ). Therefore, typing is not a pleasure. The point of me posting it was for the sheer hypocrisy of the party that relies on the 'moral vote'.

    My thumbs are hurting already after this post.
  3. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs View Post
    Do you think those laws are appropriate?
    Depends, which is why I asked for the bill.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    I am sure there are some duplicates there. I read most of it, just I am still on my UX180P's smallish KB. ( I am about 2 miles off the coast of Tarpon Springs on the boat, have been since mid week. ). Therefore, typing is not a pleasure. The point of me posting it was for the sheer hypocrisy of the party that relies on the 'moral vote'.

    My thumbs are hurting already after this post.
    Sounds like fun!

    Anyway, my point is that you can't say its party hipocricy unless its rampant in and ignored by the party. Your post doesn't show similar research for Democrats so its hard to say if its rampant and it certainly doesn't seem like its ignored. Now, you can call people hypocrites because they/we are. All of us. Some clearly more than others (as your list does point out), but none of us does what s/he would like others to do.

    That brings up why I asked if the legislation that this guy intorduced is appropriate. If the legislation a law-maker introduces is good legislation, does the fact that he doesn't practice what he preaches make the legislation suddenly bad? My point is: would you rather have a hypocrite representative that stands for good legislation than an upstanding representative that doesn't?
    Last edited by hoovs; 09/30/2006 at 11:36 AM.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    I am sure there are some duplicates there. I read most of it, just I am still on my UX180P's smallish KB. ( I am about 2 miles off the coast of Tarpon Springs on the boat, have been since mid week. ). Therefore, typing is not a pleasure. The point of me posting it was for the sheer hypocrisy of the party that relies on the 'moral vote'.

    My thumbs are hurting already after this post.
    By the way, there are more than some duplicates. Whole blocks of names have been repeated four times.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    Bayre, could you bring up that bill? I think it would be great to lay it out here for all to see.
    ...In addition, a congressman who helps oversee the congressional page program said Foley earlier "was not honest about his conduct."

    Rep. John Shimkus (news, bio, voting record), an Illinois Republican, said as chairman of the bipartisan Page Board late last year, he had been told about an e-mail exchange between Foley and a former page.

    Shimkus said Foley told him "he was simply acting as a mentor ... and that nothing inappropriate had occurred."

    Nonetheless, Shimkus said Foley was advised to be "especially mindful of his conduct with respect to current and former House pages and he assured us that he would do so."

    Foley was the author of the key sexual predator provisions of the Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act of 2006, which Bush signed in July...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgarza View Post
    why is it that when a politician screw up the party gets attacked. I hate that I also hate it when a party stands up for a member that is meesing up. Each person needs to account for their own actions. Libs and conservatives should condem this guy.
    The issue is we're talking about a political party that uses a minority (homosexuals) to mobilize their bigoted voter base.

    That is the difference.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    He is only one of many Repub. sex offenders. Here is a list for you folks to enjoy.
    NRG...what is your source. I am not doubting the list in any way as it is probably all true. Since you only posted Rep in your list, I was just interested if they also listed similar offenses from Dems as well.
  9. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #29  
    < < Edit by Septimus: Nope. > >
  10. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #30  
    Did the GOP party leadership know?

    But news reports about the exchanges led to the disclosure of e-mail correspondence with other former pages in which the discussions became more and more sexually explicit. Shortly after he was confronted by ABC News on Friday about the subject, Mr. Foley, who represented a south Florida district, resigned from the House.

    -snip-

    Among those who became aware earlier this year of the fall 2005 communications between Mr. Foley and the 16-year-old page, who worked for Representative Rodney Alexander, Republican of Louisiana, were Representative John A. Boehner, the majority leader, and Representative Thomas M. Reynolds of New York, chairman of the National Republican Congressional Committee. Mr. Reynolds said in a statement Saturday that he had also personally raised the issue with Speaker J. Dennis Hastert.

    -snip-

    In a chronology of the episode released later on Saturday, the speaker�s office said Mr. Hastert did not recall any such discussion and had no previous knowledge of the matter. �While the speaker does not explicitly recall this conversation, he has no reason to dispute Congressman Reynolds� recollection that he reported to him on the problem and its resolution,� the statement said.

    -snip-

    Aides to the speaker and other Congressional Republican leaders said the messages, which an Alexander aide described to them as �overfriendly,� were much less explicit than the others that came to light after ABC News first disclosed the e-mail correspondence with Mr. Alexander�s page. The aides said Mr. Alexander�s office, at the request of the page�s family, did not show them copies of the messages. In those messages, sent after Hurricane Katrina, Mr. Foley asked about the well-being of the boy, a Monroe, La., resident. He wrote: �How are you weathering the hurricane. . .are you safe. . .send me a pic of you as well.� The page sent the note to a former colleague, describing it as 'sick'.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/01/wa...ge&oref=slogin
  11. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #32  
    "It's more sad than anything else, to see someone with such potential throw it all down the drain because of a sexual addiction."


    -Mark Foley, about Bill Clinton, 1998
  12. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    "It's more sad than anything else, to see someone with such potential throw it all down the drain because of a sexual addiction."


    -Mark Foley, about Bill Clinton, 1998
    NRG -- you omitted my favorite part of that quote:

    ...During the congressional debate in 1998 over President Bill Clinton's affair with a White House intern, Foley called Clinton's actions vile and told the St. Petersburg Times that "it's more sad than anything else, to see someone with such potential throw it all down the drain because of a sexual addiction."

    the rest of the article:

    Foley Built Career as Protector of Children

    ...[he] built his political career in large measure on legislative proposals meant to halt the sexual predation of children and others.

    Beginning with his 1993 sponsorship of a measure in the Florida state legislature to seize the cars of men who solicited prostitutes...

    ...a deputy whip for the House Republicans and a co-chairman of the Congressional Missing and Exploited Children's Caucus. A Web site for the bipartisan group states that it was formed to "create a voice within Congress" on that issue and to operate a hotline for tips about "online child sexual exploitation" that could be passed to law enforcement agencies.
    At a White House Rose Garden ceremony on July 27, President Bush hailed Foley and some other House and Senate lawmakers as members of a "SWAT team for kids." Bush spoke while signing into law a broad child protection measure that included a Foley-sponsored provision requiring sex offenders to register in every state where they live, work or attend school.


    ...The political cause of exploited children has long been a Republican favorite ...he saw the topic as a platform for attracting national attention and winning frequent appearances on cable talk shows, where he described sex offenders as "animals" who will persist "unless stopped."

    "He loved the attention," a former aide said.

    ...In 1998, he sponsored legislation allowing the Boy Scouts and other volunteer groups to get access to an FBI criminal database so they could weed out child predators. In 2003, he pressed Florida Gov. Jeb Bush (R) to investigate a nudist camp for teenagers, noting that "I have been fighting for years to eliminate both child pornography and so-called exploitive child modeling Web sites."

    During the congressional debate in 1998 over President Bill Clinton's affair with a White House intern, Foley called Clinton's actions vile and told the St. Petersburg Times that "it's more sad than anything else, to see someone with such potential throw it all down the drain because of a sexual addiction."
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  13. #34  
    I guess politics trumps reasonable debate. And, apparently, it is all about politics. If this guy was a liberal democrat (in the closet or out) he'd go on to win re-election five times (remember Rep. Studds).

    Let me ask this, if this was known "for months", as the stories point out, why did the Dems wait until late September before an election year to jump on it? Are these the actions of people who are so concerned about our children?

    Yeah, let's keep pointing fingers... that'll help.
  14. #35  
    True about Studds (a democrat) - he never apologized and continued his relationship with the boy. Another sicko in my book, but the Democrats apparently supported this by not booting him out of the party. I'm glad my party doesn't support pedophiles.
  15. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs View Post

    Let me ask this, if this was known "for months", as the stories point out, why did the Dems wait until late September before an election year to jump on it? Are these the actions of people who are so concerned about our children?

    Yeah, let's keep pointing fingers... that'll help.
    I think the internal leadership of the republicans knew. The keyword there is internal. None of the dems knew about it, I would assume since it was brought to Repub leadership.
  16. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man View Post
    True about Studds (a democrat) - he never apologized and continued his relationship with the boy. Another sicko in my book, but the Democrats apparently supported this by not booting him out of the party. I'm glad my party doesn't support pedophiles.
    HYPOCRISY.

    Gary Studds was not presenting himself as a moral exemplar, campaigning and writing laws against the very acts he himself was pursuing.

    His repugnicant colleques who have successfully aroused their base by every two years tickling the gay marriage errogenous zone -- while then looking the other way as a member of their leadership revealed himself as a gay pedophile ---

    hypocrisy -- one of my favorite sins.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  17. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    HYPOCRISY.

    Gary Studds was not presenting himself as a moral exemplar, campaigning and writing laws against the very acts he himself was pursuing.

    His repugnicant colleques who have successfully aroused their base by every two years tickling the gay marriage errogenous zone -- while then looking the other way as a member of their leadership revealed himself as a gay pedophile ---

    hypocrisy -- one of my favorite sins.
    BINGO! We have a weiner. So, its okay if law-makers do this kind of thing as long as they aren't involved in making laws that protect against this type of thing. Does anyone else see anything wrong with this? Aren't you, by extension, saying that it would be better if he opposed legislation to protect kids? It might make him look less like a hypocrite but is it better for the country? In other words, if a law is a good law does it matter if it was written by a bad person?
  18. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    I think the internal leadership of the republicans knew. The keyword there is internal. None of the dems knew about it, I would assume since it was brought to Repub leadership.
    None? Are you sure about that? It seems they know an awful lot about it now.
  19. TomUps's Avatar
    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    #40  
    I got to say, I really hate whats happening to our country with all this infighting. Are we really arguing now which party is more pro pedophille?

    Everybody should be an independant.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions