1.    #1  
    I just heard about these dvd players i heard they play movies off of disc...strange huh? Just wondering if anyone else out there had heard of them
    OFFICAL GRAVEYARD INSOMNIAC

Because I could not stop for death
    He Kindly Stopped for me-
    The Carriage held but just ourselves-and Immortality.
    E.D. -712
    I've heard of them and all my friends have them, but I havent managed to get one for myself. Time to start saving.
    Yeah, but I don't like the movies because of the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen.

Plus, when Divx failed, I lost all interest.

Old enough to know better, but too young to resist.
    how about divX ? (good stuff, shh don't tell anyone)

i have a dvd-rom on my pc, really cool

i can watch dvds or use software like enarta 2k dvd version

all around good guy

brandon
    drop me a line
    I think i mustve heard about them somewhere...not sure where though.
    God bless the USA! The country I love, and will support at all costs.
    Though It's not Really a DVD player, The PS2 does play them, Works great too!
    <FONT face="verdana,arial,helvetica" size="1" >NetCaptor and Odigo Rule!<i></font>
    "The Internet is now on computers?"
    Homer Simpson
    Dvd? is that like a laser disc? I usually stick with tapes.. yes sir.. tapes i rent at blockbuster.... i love getting my money taken away from me..
    "I will not say them here nor there
    I will not say them anywhere.
    I will not say those words you twit.
    I will not, will not say I quit !"

Originally posted by AudioWizard
    I just heard about these dvd players i heard they play movies off of disc...strange huh? Just wondering if anyone else out there had heard of them
    They just put a laser disk into a dryer and it shrunk so they came up with dvd.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by heimerSWT
    Yeah, but I don't like the movies because of the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen.

Its called letter box, the only way to watch a movie IMHO.

Can be corrected by flipping the disc to the other side or changing the setiing to the pan and scan option.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by Felipe

They just put a laser disk into a dryer and it shrunk so they came up with dvd.
    hahaha that's pretty good. I got a dvd and it didn't play in my cd player though when I put it in my computer like some of you were saying. What gives?
    hipster alert
    Originally posted by Felipe

Its called letter box, the only way to watch a movie IMHO.

Ah, thank you! I want to strangle whoever wrote that "This movie has been reformatted to fit your screen" crap, as though they were doing you a favor... that should read "This movie has been reformatted to remove about 25% of the original widescreen image."

A film gets butchered when it gets chopped off at the sides... the cinematography that was so carefully composed for the 35mm wider aspect ratio goes out the window and instead it becomes a matter of the best way to cram the principal actors into the frame.
    <br>"Form follows function - that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union" -Frank Lloyd Wright
    Originally posted by heimerSWT

DIVX WAS A DUMB IDEA.. thank all the heavens it died..

If you hate "widescreen", wait till you see what a pre-HDTV television show looks like on an HDTV.. (bars are on the sides) or you can "zoom" the image to fit but you cut off the top and bottom if the image..

Better get used to widescreen format (by the way, widescreen is the same viewing area as a movie in a theater..), Widescreen is going to be the defacto standard for television displays.. pretty much after 2008.

Most people are under the common misconception that "bars" are put on the top and the bottom of the movie covering up the image, in reality there is no picture under those bars.. When you see a movie on "normal" TV the left and right sides have been cut off to fit your square TV screen, Movies for decades have be rectangular not square.. the only way to fit a rectangle in a square is either to cut off the ends of the image or to make the rectangle smaller.. hence the bars..

I agree.. Widescreen IS the only way to watch a movie.. you are getting the "whole" picture.. not a "butchered" image.. (add to that Pan & Scan -- YIKES , who ever invented that should be shot!)
    "One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’." -- Douglas Adams
    I thought Dvd Has died. I didn't think it would last two years at all. Wait till the next format..

BTW where is Star Wars DVD?
    ATTN: Felipe and EricG.

Please re-read my post about the Divx and "Black Bars" reference. Then... notice the Winking Smily.

I was making a joke about these two horrible things.
    Old enough to know better, but too young to resist.
    pretty much after 2008.
    Yea...let's not RUSH into a better format or anything... ;o)
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
  16. XYZ
    Does anybody here play dvd?