Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot View Post
    How about answering the original question without blasting any of the current players?
    How about no.

And whom am I "blasting"?
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    I see rule by instilling fear is working well here.

I enjoy the Daily Show, but Jon Stewart's campaign to convince America's youth that the Administration and the media are generating unwarranted fear is irresponsible. Jon Stewart is hurting America, IMO.

Notably, Comedy Central's studios would be vaporized milliseconds after New York Times headquarters.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    I enjoy the Daily Show, but Jon Stewart's campaign to convince America's youth that the Administration and the media are generating unwarranted fear is irresponsible. Jon Stewart is hurting America, IMO.

Notably, Comedy Central's studios would be vaporized milliseconds after New York Times headquarters.
    Yet here you go proving their point.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Oops meant to say Elephant.
    yet completely missing yours
    Actually he was referencing the scenario presented as the topic of this thread...which you seem to keep referring to as spreading the false premise of fear when discussing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by nesman89 View Post
    I see you watched the news about "waterboarding".
    If you look back at my posts concerning torture over the last 2 1/2 years on this board, I have always been consistent and not subject to the regurgitation of the immediate media sensation. There needs to be accountability. There needs to be standards and enforced limits. i.e. no hacksawing fingernails slowing in half followed by prying them up from the middle cut with a splintered dull wedge. No sawing off heads. No doing what the Terrorists do to our soldiers.

But keeping a person up 72 hours when we know a nuke has been placed in a city in order find out where and when it will go off is not unreasonable torture. Playing loud music for 2 days in order thwart a plane hijacking that is going to crash into the Super Bowl stadium would be within acceptable techniques in order to save thousands of lives. These are two examples of the totally inhuman practices that have been used as examples of outrage of our techniques.

Bottom line, there certainly needs to be a line of enforced standards. There also needs to be a standard procedure for the sitting President to authorize another advanced level of torture if for example there is a captive that we have confirmed knows the location of a nuke that is placed in one of our domestic cities. This can have a built in oversight, for example the National Security Congressional commission is notified when the the President exercises this power.
    hypothetical scenario. Terrorists are able to acquire a nuclear device (not a dirty bomb). said bomb is then detonated say in NYC. approximately 500,000 to 1 million people are killed. The Northeastern seaboard is a radioactive mess. What do you do?

With a couple of caveats:

1. no responses about Gov't conspiracy.
    2. no responses about Ruling party power grab.

what would be your plan of action if you were not killed or severely injured.
    Stay the course?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    Stay the course?
    Naah, just kidding.

I'd cut taxes and bankrupt the Govt. so that we could not afford big initiatives (like a larger Army). Then I'd antagonize the world, whose cooperation in intelligence operations would have been vital at this time. Finally, I'd attack N. Korea, Iran, and Pakistan, relying heavily on the locals to support my occupation of their land.

Wait a minute .. that IS the course.

Never mind.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    hypothetical scenario. Terrorists are able to acquire a nuclear device (not a dirty bomb). said bomb is then detonated say in NYC. approximately 500,000 to 1 million people are killed. The Northeastern seaboard is a radioactive mess. What do you do?
    With a couple of caveats:
    1. no responses about Gov't conspiracy.
    2. no responses about Ruling party power grab.
    what would be your plan of action if you were not killed or severely injured.

Well to get back on point, I would first get my family (as many as possible) in one house. We would then pray. Next we would stock up on food, water, wood, candles and first aid equipment. Then arm ourselves.
    I know what our friends and neighbors can and will do when anarchy comes. As an example look to the LA riots after the Rodney King trial. I was there and it didn't matter what race you were you were in danger. And let me be very clear it wasn't just Blacks it was Everyone. They were all going nuts shooting steeling and destroying. All while the police backed off and let it happen.
    Same thing in N.O. during Katrina and also during the blackout in New York.
    So I would hope that the military would enforce a dust to dawn curfew until whatever government left could get things under control because it could be multiple attacks.

But till then it will be every man for themself so hunker down.
    http://www.algogo.com
    Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.Yes, i agree with you.Technology is a good thing but at the same time is a bad thing.it is his master that is important.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12