1.    #1  
    Most polls show Bush's appoval ratings are up since 9/11. Conventional wisdom credits the terrorism issue for the bump and the Iraq war for the long decline.

Here's an interesting graph which shows a pretty tight correlation between Bush's approval ratings and gas prices. The guy who compiled the data is a serious Bush hater, so there's the possibility of bias, but the connection seems plausible.

http://www.pollkatz.homestead.com/
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I think this is true of most presidents(i.e Carter). Even I don't think there is much he could really do about though.
  3.    #3  
    If this is true and if Bush's priority were his own popularity, then he'd pursue appeasement with Iran, or at least wait until after November before pushing for sanctions. But he's clearly not letting that drag out. I like that he favors national security over approval ratings. I'm sure some other politicians wouldn't make the same trade off.

Meanwhile, Democrats will be cheering quietly if Ahmadinejad responds to sanctions by reducing supply and spiking oil prices.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    I like that he favors national security over approval ratings. I'm sure some other politicians wouldn't make the same trade off.
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Were you able to type that without cracking yourself up?

This administration lives, eats, and breathes polls.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Were you able to type that without cracking yourself up?

This administration lives, eats, and breathes polls.
    I hope some day you realize that people don't fit into your cartoon stereotype of the world, even if you really despise them.

Polls are an important tool for all politicians, including Rove and Bush, but try to understand that they didn't get to where they are by being less capable than you of balancing multiple priorities.

The comment that you objected to is so fundamentally true that I wonder if you really stopped to actually understand it before you responded.
    I hope some day you realize that people don't fit into your cartoon stereotype of the world, even if you really despise them.

Polls are an important tool for all politicians, including Rove and Bush, but try to understand that they didn't get to where they are by being less capable than you of balancing multiple priorities.

The comment that you objected to is so fundamentally true that I wonder if you really stopped to actually understand it before you responded.
    I think I fully understand it. Polls show that the occupation in Iraq and "terror" "Terror!" "TERROR!!!" reflect well for this administration so they keep hammering it.

I ACTUALLY do understand.
  7.    #7  
    I think I fully understand it. Polls show that the occupation in Iraq and "terror" "Terror!" "TERROR!!!" reflect well for this administration so they keep hammering it.

I ACTUALLY do understand.
    Polls show that the occupation in Iraq reflects well for this administration??

I suggest you tone down your self-confidence in line with reality.
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts

Cite please.
  9.    #9  
    You want me to cite a source contradicting daT's claim that Iraq reflects well for Bush in the polls?

Ok, I should qualify that. Whenever they get the slightest bit of 'good news' from Iraq they can wave in the air such as killing Zarqarwi (sp?).
  11.    #11  
    Ok, I should qualify that. Whenever they get the slightest bit of 'good news' from Iraq they can wave in the air such as killing Zarqarwi (sp?).
    True. They like to talk about their successes. Those bastards.

It seems when you lay off the caps lock key, your posts tend to be more accurate, though less provocative.
    True. They like to talk about their successes. Those bastards.

It seems when you lay off the caps lock key, your posts tend to be more accurate, though less provocative.
    Although, these 'successes' are only symbolic. Seems this admin bungled the post invasion of Iraq from minute one due to standard chronyism and cult of personality and greed but I'll save that for it's own thread.
  13.    #13  
    Shell CEO sees oil prices continuing to drop.
    http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Stor...834CEFB346A%7D

No doubt we're going to see people making up accusations about conspiracies as prices drop leading up to the election.
    ok, kinda weird but check this out:

Steady and even slightly dropping until election day, then it starts rising... tinfoil or evidence of manipulation?
    Attached Images Attached Images
  15.    #15  
    Too funny. I'd wait to see what it does over the next few weeks. The price has blipped up before. If it's really manipulation, we'll see an increase of more than a few cents.