Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    So, after all the hypoe up to yesterday's Apple "event", what do they give the public - downloadable movies, bigger iPod nanos, and a software upgrade for the 5G iPod. So much for all the hype about an apple converged device.

Over on iLounge.com and other fan sites, the place was just buzzing with all kinds of crap about how apple is gonna kill the smartphone market with ther iPhone. Well, all I can say is LONG LIVE THE TREO! We still have the best converged-device on the plant, and I won't be trading mine for an apple product any time soon.
    I opened up my iTunes to check and see if they had a song I was looking for yesterday and got the "it's showtime" message. It wouldn't let me search for the song at all. Kinda ironic (if not moronic) to get such a message when the standard of showtime performance is "the show must go on."

You just lost another $.99, Apple!

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    No full screen iPod, no iPhone. Yawn.

The new nano is really good but anyone who wants a nano, has already brought a nano/mini. They are preaching to the choir.

The lack of iPhone is going to hurt them a few year down the line.
    I was totally underwhelmed. Despite large gains yesterday in the Nasdaq and Dow, AAPL was almost unchanged, I think many were disappointed.
    I was actually very happy and will be going to get the new black Nano soon. I won't have to worry about it scratching up. And the 30GB is going down in price . Then of course they have to get rid of the 60GBs at a lower price, since the 80GBs are going to be sold at $50 less.

Whenever Apple lowers prices, that's a GOOD thing!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Watch out with those black Nanos, they're cute, but my understanding is that the scratches on the black ones are more visible than on the white ones! I might be wrong about this though...
    Yes, the old ones. I have that one too and screen protectors are on it. Aluminum ones are coming though! Rehash of the mini iPod actually, but I'm not complaining if it cuts down on the scratching.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Yes, the old ones. I have that one too and screen protectors are on it. Aluminum ones are coming though! Rehash of the mini iPod actually, but I'm not complaining if it cuts down on the scratching.
    Aha! I may be joining you in purchasing one too then.
    The stores are already reflecting the price decrease!! Time to go get that iPod you've been putting off, unless you really want the new 80GB. Or the 8GB Nano. I think the old ones are just as functional, just get screen protectors. But I do like the new black Nano.

I was actually very happy and will be going to get the new black Nano soon. I won't have to worry about it scratching up. And the 30GB is going down in price . Then of course they have to get rid of the 60GBs at a lower price, since the 80GBs are going to be sold at $50 less.

Whenever Apple lowers prices, that's a GOOD thing!
    Agreed. The ability of Apple to set its own price is amazing.

As to 80GBs, I have had my iPod for two years, download podcasts everyday, and have only used about 5G. Hell, I have not used 80G on my PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Agreed. The ability of Apple to set its own price is amazing.

As to 80GBs, I have had my iPod for two years, download podcasts everyday, and have only used about 5G. Hell, I have not used 80G on my PC.
    Lol...sometimes too much of something isnt always a good thing.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

All that space is for people who download lots of videos, which take up WAY more room than music. One reason I can live with the Nano is that I never really watch videos on MP3 players. But now that all the video iPods are down by $50, Apple is apparently trying to get more people to buy the big iPods more. The 8GB Nano and the new 30GB are the same price, HUH?? Now honestly, which one would YOU buy given the choice? Even though one is flash which is now preferred, and the other hard drive, I bet many will just go for the 30.

I think that Apple is doing an excellent job of improving its product line. It continually innovates. With each new release come great features. iTunes 7 is a great upgrade. It provides seamless tracks and the new iPods do the same. The Nanos look great.

I was not really impressed with the iTV. Its a good start but lacks a DVD player.
    'Blah' was my initial reaction. If anyone has been more slow to evolve than Palm with their Treos, it's been Apple with their iPods.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Apple has put out more versions of the iPod than Palm(post-Handspring) did with the Treo. Palm just started releasing more than one Treo product this year. Not only that, but Apple learned from it's mistakes, at least this time. Complaints of Nanos scratching easily, back to aluminum. iPod overpriced for what it offers, $50 price reduction across the board. I think we're headed in the right direction with the iPod, as long as Apple responds to consumers. Unlike *cough* Palm*cough* who apparently thinks what the end consumer wants or needs doesn't always matter.

Apple has put out more versions of the iPod than Palm(post-Handspring) did with the Treo. Palm just started releasing more than one Treo product this year. Not only that, but Apple learned from it's mistakes, at least this time. Complaints of Nanos scratching easily, back to aluminum. iPod overpriced for what it offers, $50 price reduction across the board. I think we're headed in the right direction with the iPod, as long as Apple responds to consumers. Unlike *cough* Palm*cough* who apparently thinks what the end consumer wants or needs doesn't always matter.

With all due respect, the Treo has added Bluetooth, a better screen, a removable battery and more RAM, not to mention incomparables like faster data networks. I see the lack of WiFi being the equivalent of iPods not having stereo BT. You say Apple has put out more versions, but I honestly think many of those versions added little or nothing. If Palm released a 96MB Treo p/wx with longer battery life and a brighter screen and no other changes in January, people here would be outraged and would wonder, "What's the point?".

Palm has learned from feedback also - weren't there rumors that Dell was strongly encouraging them to produce WM Treos? The replaceable battery was key, and they finally have a WM Treo with enough RAM. Palm just cares about carrier and large enterprise feedback more than the prosumer.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    ...... doesn't always matter.
    Doesn't ever matter.

What do you suppose will happen to Apple if they do an iPhone and try to sell it only, or primarily, through the carriers?
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    With all due respect, the Treo has added Bluetooth, a better screen, a removable battery and more RAM, not to mention incomparables like faster data networks. I see the lack of WiFi being the equivalent of iPods not having stereo BT. You say Apple has put out more versions, but I honestly think many of those versions added little or nothing. If Palm released a 96MB Treo p/wx with longer battery life and a brighter screen and no other changes in January, people here would be outraged and would wonder, "What's the point?".

Palm has learned from feedback also - weren't there rumors that Dell was strongly encouraging them to produce WM Treos? The replaceable battery was key, and they finally have a WM Treo with enough RAM. Palm just cares about carrier and large enterprise feedback more than the prosumer.
    Actually, lack of wifi=lack of FM tuner IMO, both are sorely needed.

Palm only added more RAM and high speed this year. They finally added more RAM because I bet you many 700ws had problems! Not to mention the 650 memory problems, so they had to give the 700p more. The Bluetooth, a better screen, a removable battery were started with the 650, but then they waited a while between new releases. More RAM and high speed is actually just about ALL Palm has added to the new models. Along with the included software, which I guess does count. And they "corrected" WM5, that counts too. As for Palm dumping their signature OS because Dell told them to, or whatever the reason; I don't know about that one, still. That still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. When you need to go with the giant OS on the block, it means that the Palm OS is failing.

As for Apple, I disagree somewhat about the various models adding nothing much. I think the mini and Nano are great, and wish they had introduced the mini(in the size it was, seperate from the Nano) with a color screen. Small players are easier to carry IMO. I also think that the photo and video iPod were great introductions. I do think that because Apple STILL refuses to offer FM tuner and line-in recording, they are lacking compared to the rest of the market. No easy drag and drop capabilty is also just plain stupid! Yes, the 80GB is ho hum if you already have a 60GB iPod, no reason to go get a new one. I'd just be unhappy that I now can get 20GB more for $50 less. Apple still likes to stick it to people already owning their products. Palm did that with the 700w, also.

They both have their pluses and minuses, but Apple still comes out ahead, a bit. Only because they corrected the Nano scratch problem and battery life problem of both versions in a year's time. Palm will do things when they feel like it.

Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Doesn't ever matter.

What do you suppose will happen to Apple if they do an iPhone and try to sell it only, or primarily, through the carriers?
    Palm knows we like the keyboard, at least they have sense enough not to mess with that.

Anyway, I view iPhone as vaporware as of now. Lots of talk but not even a working prototype we can view, yet?

Actually, lack of wifi=lack of FM tuner IMO, both are sorely needed.
    Palm addressed Wi-Fi in the video on the 750v. They said that it is too power hungry. I have suspected that all along. Design is harder than it looks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast