Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Jeebus do you have any idea of the immediate history of what you speak?

It was a, "we don't care about you now" attitude after training and arming the mujahadeen that lead to the Taliban state which was friendly to fundamentalist islam groups like Al-Queda.

In case you forgot, we were all unified from the 9-11 tragedy about going into Afghanistan to remove the Taliban from power, with the goal of creating a democratic state. The Bush administration (as well as several European countries) claimed they would not leave this new gov't without poitical and financial and military support. Well, everyone freaking did.
    There are 20,000 US troops in Afghanistan. You call that left without support? It may not be enough, but it sure as hell isn't nothing.
    If I were Pres, I would find a way to take out the Iranian nuke program - with the UN or not. Then I would turn my attention to N Korea. The world may scream at the Americans again (so what else is new), but postponing a nuclear bomb from being deatonated in the US will save millions of lives.

Is this an imperialistic attitude? Yes. But it is the safest course of action.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman View Post
    If I were Pres, I would find a way to take out the Iranian nuke program - with the UN or not. Then I would turn my attention to N Korea. The world may scream at the Americans again (so what else is new), but postponing a nuclear bomb from being deatonated in the US will save millions of lives.

Wow! So how did the U.S. somehow continue to exist through all these decades of the Soviet nuclear weapons programs?
    What? When did I make it clear that terrorist attacks are not a threat?
    You've dismissed the Administration's talk of the terrorist threat as a transparent attempt to raise unnecessary fears, and you've claimed that the safety of all Americans is not at risk. You're correct to the extent that the thousands of IEDs in Iraq as well as most of the al Qaeda terrorists there don't threaten the lives of people living in the US. To be fair, you shouldn't use those same IEDs to argue that we are not safe.

Wow! So how did the U.S. somehow continue to exist through all these decades of the Soviet nuclear weapons programs?
    What do you think Democrats and Republicans mean when they talk about a post-9/11 world? What do you think has changed, if anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman View Post

No personal offence intended heberman, but what animated junior and his yahoo know nothings on their way to conquering Bagdad and democratizing the middle east was just that kind of arrogant strut talk.

His swaggering hubris was what's borne us the bloody fruits of Iraq and Afganistan. His Axis of Evils, Bring 'em on, Mission Accomplished attitude was what has given us this unending nightmare.

Its tantalizingly easy to plan taking out Sadamm or neuterizing N. Korea and Iran on your table napkins. Sadly the real world reacts less predicably than those salt and pepper shakers...
    Last edited by BARYE; 09/12/2006 at 10:53 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever View Post
    Barye,
    I note that you don't post the articles detailing the violent deaths of hundreds of Taliban in the past week.

Bottom line is that we've been trying to do this war on the cheap. We don't have the military we need to maintain troops in theater, rest/refit and maintain for other contingencies. I'd like to add another division of Marines and three divisions of US Army to the rolls.
    we are in agreement in large part.

Yes more troops were needed.

Yes the costs of refit -- the repair, replacement, maintenaance, training, rearming etc. from all of this endless war has not been honestly budgeted.

But fundamentally troops and resources that could have been used to successfully reintergrate Afghanistan into our world were instead burnt in the cities and deserts of Iraq.

Even Iraq hasn't enough troops. Today it was revealed that they're abandoning Anbar province (NBC News) -- one of the centers of the Sunni insurgency.

Were it not for the election in 2 months I suspect they would have likely found new troops from somewhere to add at least to Iraq.

Yes there were battles in Afganistan where perhaps hundreds of Taliban have died. They've died in large organized pitched battles. Battles where NATO and american soldiers have felt endangered of being over run.

I interpret the Taliban's ability to put large numbers of organized fighters into battle as an indication of their increased confidence in their own reserves, and a diminished fear of their western enemies.

I don't see that as a good indicator.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    "Yea, though I walk through the Shadow of the Valley of Death I shall fear no evil, for thy B52s laden with JDAM are in direct support to me."
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12