Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Disney/ABC is now saying they will not release a film politicizing 9/11 so close to an election.

Oops, my mistake, sorry... That was 2 years ago and the movie was called Fahrenheit 9/11.
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!

nice one!
    zing
    From what I've heard, this upcoming ABC series isn't necessarily kind to any particular administration. Of course, we'll probably never know how the original panned out.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs View Post
    From what I've heard, this upcoming ABC series isn't necessarily kind to any particular administration. Of course, we'll probably never know how the original panned out.
    Huh? What original? Reality?

The facts are they made up the aspects pertaining to the Clinton administration because the facts about the Bush admin could not be ignored and they wanted to appear "balanced".
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post

The facts are they made up the aspects pertaining to the Clinton administration because the facts about the Bush admin could not be ignored and they wanted to appear "balanced".
    LOL...is there such a things as 'appearing balanced'
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

7. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    The dem response to this docudrama. I think there are vieled threats in there.

September 7, 2006

Mr. Robert A. Iger
    President and CEO
    The Walt Disney Company
    500 South Buena Vista Street
    Burbank CA 91521

Dear Mr. Iger,

We write with serious concerns about the planned upcoming broadcast of The Path to 9/11 mini-series on September 10 and 11. Countless reports from experts on 9/11 who have viewed the program indicate numerous and serious inaccuracies that will undoubtedly serve to misinform the American people about the tragic events surrounding the terrible attacks of that day. Furthermore, the manner in which this program has been developed, funded, and advertised suggests a partisan bent unbecoming of a major company like Disney and a major and well respected news organization like ABC. We therefore urge you to cancel this broadcast to cease Disney’s plans to use it as a teaching tool in schools across America through Scholastic. Presenting such deeply flawed and factually inaccurate misinformation to the American public and to children would be a gross miscarriage of your corporate and civic responsibility to the law, to your shareholders, and to the nation.

The Communications Act of 1934 provides your network with a free broadcast license predicated on the fundamental understanding of your principle obligation to act as a trustee of the public airwaves in serving the public interest. Nowhere is this public interest obligation more apparent than in the duty of broadcasters to serve the civic needs of a democracy by promoting an open and accurate discussion of political ideas and events.

Disney and ABC claim this program to be based on the 9/11 Commission Report and are using that assertion as part of the promotional campaign for it. The 9/11 Commission is the most respected American authority on the 9/11 attacks, and association with it carries a special responsibility. Indeed, the very events themselves on 9/11, so tragic as they were, demand extreme care by any who attempt to use those events as part of an entertainment or educational program. To quote Steve McPhereson, president of ABC Entertainment, “When you take on the responsibility of telling the story behind such an important event, it is absolutely critical that you get it right.”

Unfortunately, it appears Disney and ABC got it totally wrong.

Despite claims by your network’s representatives that The Path to 9/11 is based on the report of the 9/11 Commission, 9/11 Commissioners themselves, as well as other experts on the issues, disagree.

Richard Ben-Veniste, speaking for himself and fellow 9/11 Commissioners who recently viewed the program, said, “As we were watching, we were trying to think how they could have misinterpreted the 9/11 Commission’s findings the way that they had.” <“9/11 Miniseries Is Criticized as Inaccurate and Biased,” New York Times, September 6, 2006>

Richard Clarke, the former counter-terrorism czar, and a national security advisor to ABC has described the program as “deeply flawed” and said of the program’s depiction of a Clinton official hanging up on an intelligence agent, “It’s 180 degrees from what happened.” <“9/11 Miniseries Is Criticized as Inaccurate and Biased,” New York Times, September 6, 2006>

Reports suggest that an FBI agent who worked on 9/11 and served as a consultant to ABC on this program quit halfway through because, “he thought they were making things up.”

Even Thomas Kean, who serves as a paid consultant to the miniseries, has admitted that scenes in the film are fictionalized. <“9/11 Miniseries Is Criticized as Inaccurate and Biased,” New York Times, September 6, 2006>

That Disney would seek to broadcast an admittedly and proven false recounting of the events of 9/11 raises serious questions about the motivations of its creators and those who approved the deeply flawed program. Finally, that Disney plans to air commercial-free a program that reportedly cost it $40 million to produce serves to add fuel to these concerns.

These concerns are made all the more pressing by the political leaning of and the public statements made by the writer/producer of this miniseries, Mr. Cyrus Nowrasteh, in promoting this miniseries across conservative blogs and talk shows.

Frankly, that ABC and Disney would consider airing a program that could be construed as right-wing political propaganda on such a grave and important event involving the security of our nation is a discredit both to the Disney brand and to the legacy of honesty built at ABC by honorable individuals from David Brinkley to Peter Jennings. Furthermore, that Disney would seek to use Scholastic to promote this misguided programming to American children as a substitute for factual information is a disgrace.

As 9/11 Commission member Jamie Gorelick said, “It is critically important to the safety of our nation that our citizens, and particularly our school children, understand what actually happened and why – so that we can proceed from a common understanding of what went wrong and act with unity to make our country safer.”

Should Disney allow this programming to proceed as planned, the factual record, millions of viewers, countless schoolchildren, and the reputation of Disney as a corporation worthy of the trust of the American people and the United States Congress will be deeply damaged. We urge you, after full consideration of the facts, to uphold your responsibilities as a respected member of American society and as a beneficiary of the free use of the public airwaves to cancel this factually inaccurate and deeply misguided program. We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Sincerely,

Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid
    Assistant Democratic Leader **** Durbin
    Senator Debbie Stabenow
    Senator Charles Schumer
    Senator Byron Dorgan
    Yes, there are not too veiled threats in that letter. You'd think that this would have come from BUSHHITLERCO and not those world famous advocates of free speech.

I remember when Bush lawyers sent similiar stuff to Michael Moore to shut him up...oh, wait. He never did that.
    Last edited by 1911sforever; 09/07/2006 at 08:13 PM.

I'm sorry, I didn't know you'd already seen it.
    Tom Kean actually endorsed the show.

New York Times
    Former Gov. Thomas H. Kean of New Jersey, the chairman of the Sept. 11 commission and a consultant on the miniseries, defended the program, saying he thought the disputed scene was an honest representation of a number of failed efforts to capture Mr. bin Laden.

“I pointed out the fact that the scene involving Afghanistan and the attempt to get bin Laden is a composite,” Mr. Kean said, adding that the miniseries format required some conflation of events. But, he said, “The basic fact is that on a number of occasions, they thought they might have been able to get bin Laden, and on those occasions, the plug was pulled for various reasons.”

Mr. Kean conceded that some points might have been more drama than documentary. “Some of the people shown there probably weren’t there,” he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    Disney/ABC is now saying they will not release a film politicizing 9/11 so close to an election.

Oops, my mistake, sorry... That was 2 years ago and the movie was called Fahrenheit 9/11.
    I don't think that was ABC.
  12. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    I don't think that was ABC.
    Who is miramax owned by?
    Who is miramax owned by?
    Who cares? Miramax had nothing to do with the film after it pulled out in Spring 2004 for reasons having nothing do with any election.

iN DEMAND is the pay-per-view cable channel which canceled its November election special with the film. Who is iN DEMAND owned by? Not Disney.
    I'm sorry, I didn't know you'd already seen it.
    Copies were provided to right-wing pundits such as Fat-Dope-Sex Trade boy.

They've already discussed the scenes in question.
    Fat-Dope-Sex Trade boy

That's leftwing hate spew for Limbaugh...their enemy #1.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    The dem response to this docudrama. I think there are vieled threats in there.
    The list of "signees" says it all. Give me a break...
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    factually inaccurate misinformation
    Could someone decipher this phrase for me?
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim View Post
    Could someone decipher this phrase for me?
    Easy. Think of the Bush National Guard "memos" that were faxed to CBS. The documents were "fake", but the story was "accurate". A lie in the cause of the greater good. A classic leftist tactic.
  20. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    Who cares? Miramax had nothing to do with the film after it pulled out in Spring 2004 for reasons having nothing do with any election.

iN DEMAND is the pay-per-view cable channel which canceled its November election special with the film. Who is iN DEMAND owned by? Not Disney.
    Read more.

http://www.fair.org/activism/disney-moore-update.html

On the television network that his company owns, Disney CEO Michael Eisner dismissed the idea that forbidding Disney subsidiary Miramax to distribute a controversial new documentary by Michael Moore was a form of censorship. "We informed both the agency that represented the film and all of our companies that we just didn't want to be in the middle of a politically-oriented film during an election year," he told ABC World News Tonight (5/5/04), referring to Moore's Fahrenheit 911, which examines the connections between the Bush family and the House of Saud that rules Saudi Arabia.

-snip-
    What's that?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast