Investigators suspect the man was attacked because of his uniform.

“The indication is it’s because he was a soldier,” sheriff’s spokesman Ed Troyer said. “There are some specific questions (the attackers asked) that were military related and what his involvement in the war was.”

No arrests have been made in the Tuesday morning attack, and Pierce County sheriff’s deputies were seeking the public’s help in identifying the attackers.

The soldier, 22, was walking on 138th Street South between A Street South and Pacific Avenue about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday when an SUV pulled up beside him, deputies reported. The driver asked the soldier if he were in the military and if he’d seen any action. The driver got out of the vehicle, pulled a gun and shouted insults at the soldier, deputies reported.

Four others then got out of the vehicle, knocked the soldier to the ground, and punched and kicked him. The five attackers then got back into the black SUV and drove away.
    Hmm, was it those "peace-loving", "anti-war" types? I wouldn't put it past them.
    Something smells fishy about this, however, if true I hope the culprits are caughy and prosecuted.
    Sad reminder of Vietnam.
  4.    #5  
    Yes. Of course, you'll find veteran abuse deniers on this board. Soon, someone will link to the "Common Dreams" study. Watch.
    There are idiots and criminals of all political stripes. To try to single out anti-war people as somehow worse than others is just stupid. Or politically motivated.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    This story really makes no sense whatsoever.
    Hate crimes never do make sense to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal View Post
    Hate crimes never do make sense to me.
    Preachy, but not true.

First of all, I can't find an article that states this guy was wearing a uniform. Now, most groups of people who assault a single individual are gang members or ganglike wanna-bes. One article I read did state that "...some of the men wore red baseball hats and red sweatshirts.". However, this occurred at 8:30 am. Most gang-like people I've known are asleep at this time after a night of partying.

The whole thing makes no sense. I would believe a racial assault first. Also, you can't tell me that out of 5 people not one is gonna brag or cop a plea and roll before one of the others? Nope, something stinks about this.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Preachy, but not true.
    What's preachy about the lack of being able to relate to committing violent crimes? I am a former corrections officer for both Juvy and County Jail and a former teacher of At-Risk teenagers that were members of gangs, shot people, murdered, etc... All totaling 6 years. Even though I know and understand the reasons many of these crimes were committed, it still never makes sense in my eyes. Nothing preachy, just my personal opinion and nothing more. As with any opinion, please feel free to disagree with me.

First of all, I can't find an article that states this guy was wearing a uniform. Now, most groups of people who assault a single individual are gang members or ganglike wanna-bes. One article I read did state that "...some of the men wore red baseball hats and red sweatshirts.". However, this occurred at 8:30 am. Most gang-like people I've known are asleep at this time after a night of partying.

The whole thing makes no sense. I would believe a racial assault first. Also, you can't tell me that out of 5 people not one is gonna brag or cop a plea and roll before one of the others? Nope, something stinks about this.
    A lot of assumptions there. Do you have stats on gang vs non gang hate crimes?

Here are the events:
    The soldier, 22, was walking on 138th Street South between A Street South and Pacific Avenue about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday when an SUV pulled up beside him, deputies reported. The driver asked the soldier if he were in the military and if he’d seen any action. The driver got out of the vehicle, pulled a gun and shouted insults at the soldier, deputies reported.

Four others then got out of the vehicle, knocked the soldier to the ground, and punched and kicked him. The five attackers then got back into the black SUV and drove away.

The soldier suffered minor injuries and did not receive medical treatment. The attackers did not take anything from him, Troyer said.
    They first identified him as a member of the military armed forces, and then kicked the crap out of him. Nothing was taken like his wallet or watch, etc...which generally rules out money/greed related crime. So there was another motivation. The color of his skin? He personally harmed them the previous week? The brand of shoes he was wearing? Walking north on the left side of the street? Or maybe since they made it point to identified his occupation, it could have been his profession? The truth is we may never know for sure.

I would agree that there could still more investigation needed, but it does not seem that mysterious.
    Here are the events:
    They first identified him as a member of the military armed forces, and then kicked the crap out of him. Nothing was taken like his wallet or watch, etc...which generally rules out money/greed related crime. So there was another motivation. The color of his skin? He personally harmed them the previous week? The brand of shoes he was wearing? Walking north on the left side of the street? Or maybe since they made it point to identified his occupation, it could have been his profession? The truth is we may never know for sure.

I would agree that there could still more investigation needed, but it does not seem that mysterious.
    Those are not "events". That is what the victim is claiming happened.

Here's another story that only serves to muddy the waters on this:
    Authorities are continuing to investigate a National Guardsman's claim that he was attacked earlier this week in Parkland and called "a baby killer."

A witness who came forward after the incident told KIRO 7 Eyewitness News a different story about what happened on Tuesday morning, but deputies said the witness later changed that story when they interviewed him.

The witness told police he saw several men in uniform beat a man in civilian clothes, but later changed his account to back the guardsman.

Investigators said the witness's stories were inconsistent with the guardsman's, and they are back to "square one" in the investigation.

The guardsman, Alexander Powell, said he was walking to a convenience store when a sport utility vehicle pulled up alongside him and the driver asked if he was in the military and if he had been in any action.

The driver then got out of the vehicle, displayed a gun and shouted insults at Powell. Four other suspects exited the vehicle and knocked the soldier down, punching and kicking him, calling him a "baby killer" during the attack, according to Powell.

The driver was described as a white male, 25-30 years old, 5 feet 10 inches tall, heavy build, short blond hair, wearing a black T-shirt and jeans, and armed with a handgun.

The vehicle's passengers were described as white males, 20-25 years old. Some of the men wore red baseball hats and red sweatshirts during the attack.
    The truth is we may never know for sure.
    Those are not "events". That is what the victim is claiming happened.

Here's another story that only serves to muddy the waters on this:
    Further investigation is always a wonderful thing. I haven't followed this story closely other than the sound bites at the top of the hour news briefs. It will be interesting to see what unfolds.
    Further investigation is always a wonderful thing. I haven't followed this story closely other than the sound bites at the top of the hour news briefs. It will be interesting to see what unfolds.
    Well, the detective wasn't in. Got his vm.

I doubt we'll hear boo about this story again.