Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...313135,00.html

Glad to hear UK isn't tripping on their own feet with the obvious. Hopefully, the US can put political correctness aside and stop being ignorant and check the obvious, not the anglo Grandmother that has a walker.

I'm awaiting the aclu and biggot comments.
  2.    #2  
    Nevermind, political correctness is alive and well in the UK...

Child's skin may offend

A PHOTO of a five-year-old girl wearing a summer dress was deemed unacceptable as a passport picture because the child's bare shoulders could offend Muslims.

A Sheffield post office clerk told the girl's mother that her daughter was revealing too much bare skin in the picture.

Company director Martin Edwards, the child's father, described the decision as 'an absurdity'.

"We have a perfectly innocent picture of a child and if sensitivities are such that it is deemed unacceptable what’s the next step?" asked Mr Edwards.

"We are talking about a five-year-old child so it was staggering to hear their reaction that this could cause offence and was unacceptable," Mr Edwards added.

Little Hannah had the photograph taken for her first passport so she could travel on holiday to France with her family.

Her father said he couldn't possibly imagine how Muslims could be offended by a photograph of a little girl in a summer dress, but he was forced to get another photo of his daughter.

The Passport Agency said there were no guidelines about whether shoulders had to be covered in pictures.

The Post Office has apologised to the Edwards family and said it was clearly a mistake made by the clerk.
    just a note:Unless the woman is of age, then children have no special dress codes.
    This picture would not offend anyone. that post office man is mis-informed
    Last edited by redbelt; 08/15/2006 at 03:48 PM.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    percentages are percentages...we use statistics in everything else in life....
    Sprint 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...313135,00.html

Glad to hear UK isn't tripping on their own feet with the obvious. Hopefully, the US can put political correctness aside and stop being ignorant and check the obvious, not the anglo Grandmother that has a walker.

I'm awaiting the aclu and biggot comments.
    It's not PC'ness that makes this a poor practice, it's building in a security hole by not inspecting the anglo-grandmother.

But glad to hear your 'dislike' of brown people was confirmed. Keep up the good work.
    It doesn't create a hole if the steps are added to historically proven higher profiles instead of replacing the historically lower profiles.

I posted a report about a year ago here about AQ recruiting the average white EU citizen looking to do their dirty work for them in airports. But they apparently do not have large enough teams of these types of profiles that they can trust to pull off a 9/11 or recently busted liquid bomb plots needing a large team of these types of profiles.

We can deal with what we know. Try to prepare for what we see them trying to do. And take precautions to help make it harder for repeated events or copycats.
  7.    #7  
    ahhh, I knew it would come from someone. Nope, only prejudice with muslim terrorists and no more than you are a jewish biggot.

Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    It's not PC'ness that makes this a poor practice, it's building in a security hole by not inspecting the anglo-grandmother.

But glad to hear your 'dislike' of brown people was confirmed. Keep up the good work.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    It doesn't create a hole if the steps are added to historically proven higher profiles instead of replacing the historically lower profiles.

I posted a report about a year ago here about AQ recruiting the average white EU citizen looking to do their dirty work for them in airports. But they apparently do not have large enough teams of these types of profiles that they can trust to pull off a 9/11 or recently busted liquid bomb plots needing a large team of these types of profiles.

We can deal with what we know. Try to prepare for what we see them trying to do. And take precautions to help make it harder for repeated events or copycats.
    At least one of the alledged conspirators was a white 'native' British citizen.
    Animo et Fide
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    no other people other than muslims are plotting airline terrorism, suicide bombing or the like. you don't see caucasions carrying bombs, boxcutters or explosive liquids inside their baby's bottles.. it is only common sense that we profile due to these wartime tendencies.
    to waste all of our time, energy and resources on pulling all people aside randomly is just ridiculous.

not all muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists are muslim. its a no-brainer . we need to use our limited resources on the most likely suspects.

this is going to offend some, but that's just too bad. israeli airports profile, and have they suffered any 9/11 style attacks? no.. its time we follow suit.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002
    no other people other than muslims are plotting airline terrorism, suicide bombing or the like. you don't see caucasions carrying bombs, boxcutters or explosive liquids inside their baby's bottles.. it is only common sense that we profile due to these wartime tendencies.
    to waste all of our time, energy and resources on pulling all people aside randomly is just ridiculous.

not all muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists are muslim. its a no-brainer . we need to use our limited resources on the most likely suspects.

this is going to offend some, but that's just too bad. israeli airports profile, and have they suffered any 9/11 style attacks? no.. its time we follow suit.
    where does caucasian = non-muslim? as I said above at least one of the guys arrested for the alledged liquid bomb plot is caucasian. and what are you on about, all terrorists are muslim? i'm not aware of any other religion which has sent suicide bombers/highjackers on planes, but I'm aware of lots of other ethnicities/religions of terrorists. plenty of christian ones around the place. who's to say they won't copy the muslim terrorists methods?
    Animo et Fide
    If you look at my post above, I recognized this fact and gave an example of us knowing they are actively recruiting non Mid Eastern looking people to carry out their plans for them.

But in the airline industry, how many Mid Eastern nationality Muslim terrorist have successfully and have been caught prior to a successful terrorist act of blowing up / hijacking / etc.. a plane vs all other nationalities, races, etc.. combined?

Even in the liquid bomb case, no matter about a piece of paper of citizenship, how many were of arab race and how many were "white" or any other non arab?
  12.    #12  
    Agreed, however let's not be politically correct here - but it appears the majority are non-caucasian.

I don't think ELF or any other whack group have the resources or hatred to do what muslim terrorists are willing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterBrown
    where does caucasian = non-muslim? as I said above at least one of the guys arrested for the alledged liquid bomb plot is caucasian. and what are you on about, all terrorists are muslim? i'm not aware of any other religion which has sent suicide bombers/highjackers on planes, but I'm aware of lots of other ethnicities/religions of terrorists. plenty of christian ones around the place. who's to say they won't copy the muslim terrorists methods?
    ahhh, I knew it would come from someone. Nope, only prejudice with muslim terrorists and no more than you are a jewish biggot.
    Yea, I think it was the fact you had to add "anglo" to the grandmother with the walker.

Ah, the last defense for criticism of Israel, the anti-semite one. Thanks.
  14.    #14  
    I'd happily not stoop to your level of posting 'biggot' attacks if you would respond intelligently. You disagree with the logic of my post and you throw out the magic words of 'dislike' and 'brown' people. Sometimes when you have nothing to say or add, you simply shouldn't post.

Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Yea, I think it was the fact you had to add "anglo" to the grandmother with the walker.

Ah, the last defense for criticism of Israel, the anti-semite one. Thanks.
    I'd happily not stoop to your level of posting 'biggot' attacks if you would respond intelligently. You disagree with the logic of my post and you throw out the magic words of 'dislike' and 'brown' people. Sometimes when you have nothing to say or add, you simply shouldn't post.
    I believe I did both. I directly stated the flaw in your post AND pointed out the race based distinction you made.

We should profile, but not use profiling exclusively. The shoebomber (Richard Reid) was ethnically from the Carribean, British citizen and his name was not Moslem. He fit none of the sterotypes.

One cannot target muslims (or any one aspect of what makes a profile) alone. A muslim of European ethnicity can easily change his/her name. A device could be hidden in the baggage of a Grandma without her knowledge. One case of a British lady (married to a middle-eastern man) who had explosives in her handbag bottom (without her knowledge) comes to mind. She was caught by El Al during pre-boarding interviews.

It is amazing what trained security staff can figure out from just a 5 minute interview/conversation. Where do you live? Where are you going? What do you do? Who will be picking you up at your destination? etc etc.

There is none of that now. The harried airline staff are too busy handing out boarding passes and luggage tags. There is no conversation or even eye contact at the TSA checkpoints. The TSA is starting to change that, but is has been 5 years!!

The whole exercise at the TSA gates reminds me of a security drama to reassure the public, more than real profiling (like done by El Al) , which is what we need.
    Last edited by aprasad; 08/15/2006 at 04:50 PM. Reason: spelling
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    no other people other than muslims are plotting airline terrorism, suicide bombing or the like. you don't see caucasions carrying bombs, boxcutters or explosive liquids inside their baby's bottles..
    Pre-9/11 we had Timothy McVeigh and he killed over 160 people. Sure, it's just one while male, but we don't want to let our guard down and not inspect everyone equally, regardless of race or religion.

And oh, let's not forget Richard Reid either--Shoe Bomber.
    Hmmmm;

and hmmmmmm;

Yea, those guys wouldn't bomb anything.
    Well

Franck Ribéry
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franck_Rib%C3%A9ry
    French born and raised.
    Great Football player (yes you call it soccer, I know).
    This guy is not a bomber, see, but a Muslim!
    Your profiling would not catch him.
    He's french as I said, he is not "brown" (nor am I BTW) and his name is Frank (Changing to Arabic names when they convert is by no means mandetory, but people do it sometimes to signify "a new birth").
    So, how will your Profile catch this guy if he was a terrorist?
    Islam is a 5 Billion strong religion. There are muslims in all countries. With 5 Billion people out there, there will be bad seeds everywhere.
    Yes, there were attacks from people with a certain decent, but who is to say there will be none by another religion, political party or race?

Any measures taken should aim to prevent terrorist attacks period. Not to "prevent terrorist attacks by Muslim Terrorists", thats just subjecting the Anglo grandmother (or insert person details here) to lesser security.
    Loop hole!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast