Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    In the interest of intellectual correctness, don't say people are targetting "muslims." Islam is not a physical trait, and as far as I know, they aren't asking people how many times a day they pray before "targetting" them.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    But glad to hear your 'dislike' of brown people was confirmed. Keep up the good work.
    Dat,

I think thats alittle unfair, where did he say he hates "brown" people? Thats kind of a nasty accussation you make, especially knowing how you feel about Israelis.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomUps
    Dat,

I think thats alittle unfair, where did he say he hates "brown" people? Thats kind of a nasty accussation you make, especially knowing how you feel about Israelis.
    I believe I made that clear with the reference to the "anglo" term.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts

BAIT
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    hmmm, according to the story, these two men gave false names and changed their story a few times. Sounds like a nice bunch of guys that happened to have purchased a few hundred untraceble cell phones, and refused to say what they were going to use them for.
    Please forgive the moment of sanity injected into this tea pahty, but the poster who said there are 5 billion Muslims might want to find out how many people there are on the planet. Your position loses credibilty when you make obvious misstatements to support your claims.
  7.    #27  
    Hmmmmm;

Yea, those guys wouldn't bomb anything.

So you reference a total of two bombings in what, ten + years? Sorry to burst your bubble on 1990's nostalgia, but Muslim terrorists have detonated at least two bombs in the last ten minutes.

Ignorance is blissful till a bomb goes off.

Hmmmm;
    Are you implying that we should screen ONLY for people who look like this?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  9.    #29  
    Read first post, first link.

Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Yes. Because they would be goblins from beyond the grave (since they are all dead) and thus would be of interest.
    We should not have a false sense of security that if we target Muslims everything will be OK. That is just reactionary thinking.

Anyone who tries to think one step ahead, instead of just flailing around reacting to whatever happened last, will realize that Al Queda will try to circumvent our suspicions on muslim looking people and try to plant non-muslim looking people to do their dirty work. Look at the shoe bomber, not middle eastern looking in the least. If you think he is an exception rather than a real future possibility then you are foolish. So ignoring the elderly white lady in a walker while rounding up all the the middle eastern people during security checks makes for good blustering political-speak but really is a flawed idea. We should be looking at everyone, middle eastern sure, but not ignoring others.

From what I understand, psychological profiling, which is what El Al does, looking in a systematic matter at non-verbal body language cues which cannot easily be faked among other things, is the most effective, but also the most time consuming method.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    We should not have a false sense of security that if we target Muslims everything will be OK. That is just reactionary thinking.

Anyone who tries to think one step ahead, instead of just flailing around reacting to whatever happened last, will realize that Al Queda will try to circumvent our suspicions on muslim looking people and try to plant non-muslim looking people to do their dirty work. Look at the shoe bomber, not middle eastern looking in the least. If you think he is an exception rather than a real future possibility then you are foolish. So ignoring the elderly white lady in a wheelchair while rounding up all the the middle eastern people during security checks makes for good blustering political-speak but really is a flawed idea. We should be looking at everyone, middle eastern sure, but not ignoring others.
    And this is what those in power want to contnue grabbing power to keep you safe from whatever boogie man is handy at the time.
    Yes I agree. Implementing a sensible and effective security policy is important. On the extreme end of this, its obvious that fear, religion, pitting one ethnic group against another, all of these things are very effective political tools which are being used right now by our right wing activist friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Read first post, first link.
    "The passenger-profiling technique involves selecting people who are behaving suspiciously, have an unusual travel pattern or, most controversially, have a certain ethnic or religious background.

The system would be much more sophisticated than simply picking out young men of Asian appearance."

Sounds good to me.

Checking everyone is OK, but inefficient, leading to superfluous checking as the screeners get fatigued. Every one is checked, but not thoroughly.

Random checks are the worst. It assumes that the odds of a culprit ocurring is random.

Profiling, done correctly, by trained experts, based on scientific rationale is the best.
    Last edited by aprasad; 08/15/2006 at 09:15 PM. Reason: spelling
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    And this is what those in power want to contnue grabbing power to keep you safe from whatever boogie man is handy at the time.
    And, by this reasoning you think we're actually safe from the so-called bogeymen? I don't know what I find more ridiculous- your ignorance or your naivete.

We will be attacked gain- these people are not going to go away because in the idealized thinking of the appeasers and mollifiers of terrorism in this world that will happen if we simply stop being the terrible Americans that we are.

Wake up. We're in a war that will last decades. The sooner we defend ourselves using common sense tactics like statistically-applied profiling, closer monitoring of our immigration policies and borders, and loosening our dependence on foreign oil alltogether, the sooner we'll protect ourselves against another attack.

Fortunately for you, DaT, even people with warped thought processes like yours will benefit from a tighter self-defense from homicidal zealots bent on bombing their way toward a heaven occupied by their perverted vision of god.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    If you look at my post above, I recognized this fact and gave an example of us knowing they are actively recruiting non Mid Eastern looking people to carry out their plans for them.

But in the airline industry, how many Mid Eastern nationality Muslim terrorist have successfully and have been caught prior to a successful terrorist act of blowing up / hijacking / etc.. a plane vs all other nationalities, races, etc.. combined?

Even in the liquid bomb case, no matter about a piece of paper of citizenship, how many were of arab race and how many were "white" or any other non arab?
    I believe most of them were non-arab, weren't the majority of alleged plotters of Pakistani origin? Last time I checked Pakistan wasn't in the middle-east.

Don't think I'm being 'soft' here, I'm worried that profiling could lead us to miss someone who isn't in a target group. Even if it's one bloke out of twenty five who's caucasian and all the others are semitic or south-asian, if that one bloke gets through because he didn't fit the profile then we have a victory for the terrorists. If the Israelis profile according to behavioural patterns then that sounds more logical to me than on appearance.
    Animo et Fide
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterBrown
    ...If the Israelis profile according to behavioural patterns then that sounds more logical to me than on appearance.
    Me too.

Even if such is employed, you can be sure someone will protest the practice--because after all, not all shifty-eyed, sweating, one-way travelers with no luggage who paid cash for their first class cabin tickets are suspicious.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Careful Shop you might offend DaT. you wouldn't want to impose your beliefs on anyone else.

you never know maybe the guy who is trying to get on the plane has two lazy eyes and forgot to wear his glasses. he sweats profusely because he has bad credit and has to carry large amounts of cash everywhere and he hurt his back while helping the kids at the orphanage therefore he can't carry heavy things like say luggage.

yeah that must be it. it couldn't be that he is a terrorist. who would believe people would want to kill U.S. citizens. I must be up in the night
    If we adopt El Al type practices for airport screening, many people would protest especially the rich businessmen and women who fly first and business class and would dislike taking their extra valuable time out to submit to extra security testing. With the political clout against this, I doubt this will be adopted by Congress and administration. Too bad, if we took the Israeli approach, we would be more secure than we are now no doubt.

It seems it is just easier to profile middle eastern people at this point. Obvioulsly just look at this thread, the political activisits on the right, taking their cues from the administration are playing the fear of arabs/muslims card in the hopes of political advantage.

Anyone with any sense will realize that Al Queda and other terrorists will take the next step and recruit non-muslim people if we rely too heavily on just this approach.
    After Mcveigh blew up the Murrah building it was all "angry white men." If you had a short haircut, an NRA sticker and owned a gun you were suspect #1. I don't recall anyone having much of a problem with profiling then.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast