Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    I was talking with an Indian friend at dinner when he made a statement about the people in Northern India having a lower opinion of the Southern Indians. He called it the “Northern Complex.”
    That has stuck with me so I started thinking. The Canadians mostly feel that way about the USA, same with Northerners about Southerners. Heck even here in Dallas we don’t think to highly of our friends in Houston, come to think of it North Dallas vs South Dallas is the same story.
    There is a lot of that in the world, I know in Italy there is this bias and I have heard the same thing about India too.

It seems to me that cultural/religious/ethnic/geographic diversity can either be viewed negatively, in which case it is often used as an excuse to turn one group against another, or viewed positively. Personally I interact with a fairly diverse group of people and I find it interesting.
    Its because its warmer and more relaxed in the south. It makes northerners think everyone there is lazy.

Surur
    North California and South California are really separate states
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Geographical coincidences. It's East/West in Washington.
    Quote Originally Posted by g.711
    I was talking with an Indian friend at dinner when he made a statement about the people in Northern India having a lower opinion of the Southern Indians. He called it the “Northern Complex.”
    That has stuck with me so I started thinking. The Canadians mostly feel that way about the USA, same with Northerners about Southerners. Heck even here in Dallas we don’t think to highly of our friends in Houston, come to think of it North Dallas vs South Dallas is the same story.
    As I understand it, this is true. Historically, Indo-Aryan ethnic/linguistic groups tended to dominate the north and Dravidian groups the south. Whether this fed into a racial component of the caste system, I don't know. But it does seem that the natural division in culture, religion and language was exacerbated by "divide and conquer" tactics of various occupying forces like the Mughals and the British after them.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Geographical coincidences. It's East/West in Washington.
    Interesting I haven't spent time in Washinton.
    I know this is true with San Francisco vs Los Angeles and the same is true with Japan and everyone else south of them. So would this be true in Australia?
    Though I've lived in India all my life, I did have an opportunity to live in both the north and the southern parts. I don't much to say for the "lower opinion" issue (it's despicable and true), but the political aspects pointed out by hoovs is right on target.

This was further amplified by the partisan and discriminatory policies of the Indian government (that mostly consisted of political heavyweights from the northern states) immediately after Independence. Investments in agriculture, industry and infrastructure were mostly skewed towards the northern states of Punjab, Uttar Pradesh and Bihar. The southern states were mostly ignored, and left to fend for themselves.

Now after all this time (maybe because of being ignored), the southern states shine in enterprise and wealth creation (Bangalore... Hyderabad... and even sleepy Chennai (formerly Madras)). Bombay (Mumbai) has a unique position of being the commercial capital of India, a place that Calcutta could have taken over, considering it had a unique position during the British rule. Most northern states are now "sick" economically. Still, northern states have a powerful political presence even now and southern states have little say in what goes on in New Delhi.

The cultural fallout of this is an almost complete (with some reservations) wiping out of the southern indigenous aspects like the clothes people wear (that ***** "punjabi" dress is worn all over the country) and their behaviour in public. Hindi is now spoken in most parts of the country, much to everybody's dismay.

Recently, the TV and media are following-up ruthlessly on this cultural invation, by orienting their programming and reporting to the northern languages and culture. Films and Cartoons are first dubbed in Hindi, for example.

In other news, there was an article (I guess on straightdope.com) that exhamined the reasons for southern parts of cities being more affluent than the northern parts that mostly consisted of citizens lower down the social ladder.
    I see it more as the "our town is better than your town" mentality. Some of this is fueled by sports growing up. Think about football games where the pep rallies fueled the belief that our team was great and the other team sucked. It helped fuel the competition, but it also tended to provide a sense of superiority over that town. That can be expanded to larger geographical areas as well.

Speaking of northerners feeling superior, Santa must think he is better than all of us since he lives at the North Pole
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    I would have to agree about the North/South thing in India.

I know that every time I call for support on my Dell computer, the guys in the South ask me if my computer is plugged in, while the guys in the North ask me if my computer is turned on.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    I would have to agree about the North/South thing in India.

I know that every time I call for support on my Dell computer, the guys in the South ask me if my computer is plugged in, while the guys in the North ask me if my computer is turned on.
    An your response was that you have the power switch in the OFFice mode.
  12. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by g.711
    come to think of it North Dallas vs South Dallas is the same story.
    There is a clear economic divide between North Dallas and South Dallas. Now, I am not saying that one would is better than the other, but I would rather take my chances walking down Belt Line in Addison, rather than take my chances walking down the street in Oak Cliff at midnight.
    I'd say you're right, but the feeling we Minnesotans have for Iowans are so clearly justified.