Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    LINK

OK, what can we do to secure our Nation form a possible threat like this?
    Six of the 11 Egyptian exchange students disappear and never show up. Assuming they are terrorist and will cause death somewhere somehow what can a free society really do to protect itself. Sit down an talk to them, give them what they want, give them money, Join them, Kill them, drug them stop doing what we are doing (Living).
    How does/should the western culture deal and interact with a culture which purpose is to convert or kill you. Of course I have my own opinion but conceder this what if they were a
    Drug Cartel or a Crazy South American totalitarian would we use the same approach.
    I think this is the question which will haunt our children and there children in the future.
    There is a cost for freedom but without sacrifice freedom will die... right?
    How much do we give up. What sacrifice are we willing to give?
    Calm down!
    How about "Not panic" as an option?

From your link: " None of the students is considered a terrorism risk and FBI officials stressed that there are no ties between the Egyptians and the alleged terror plot broken up by British authorities."
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    aprasad - you believe that???
    I'll believe the FBI officers, unless there is compelling evidence otherwise.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by g.711
    LINK

OK, what can we do to secure our Nation form a possible threat like this?
    Six of the 11 Egyptian exchange students disappear and never show up. .........
    In "security," we call this "risk acceptance." It is particularly applicable in cases where there is no other alternative.

In security we have a principle called "proportionality." It says that no remedy should be worse than doing nothing.
    Last edited by whmurray; 08/11/2006 at 07:03 PM.
    Ok, you all can sleep easy now.

"Authorities began searching for the 11 Egyptian students after they arrived in the United States last month, but failed to show up for an exchange program at Montana State University.

Two other students were arrested Thursday in suburban Baltimore. Three more were arrested on Wednesday-one in Minnesota and two in New Jersey. The other six arrived as planned at the Montana school. "

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7004508392
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    GPS implants. Easy answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers
    GPS implants. Easy answer.
    Be careful what you ask for: you might get it. Since one cannot necessarily tell in advance who one wants to implant, the easiest thing to do is to implant everyone. Where do you want yours?
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Calm down!
    How about "Not panic" as an option?

From your link: " None of the students is considered a terrorism risk and FBI officials stressed that there are no ties between the Egyptians and the alleged terror plot broken up by British authorities."

I'm sure this is'nt the first group to miss their first class. So why was it such a big deal? what about the other 12 milion of unaccounted for visitors. But that another topic.
    "Calm down" is not an answer when we are in the shadow of the British incident. My question is to what free countries should do in the face of rising terrorist acts. The Egyptian students did nothing but it’s an example of what could have happened to make a “Perfect Storm of Terror” which may come someday. How do we handle this for the future? I think the 06 elections will hinge on this question. What do would you like the candidates to say
    Quote Originally Posted by g.711
    I'm sure this is'nt the first group to miss their first class. So why was it such a big deal? what about the other 12 milion of unaccounted for visitors. But that another topic.
    "Calm down" is not an answer when we are in the shadow of the British incident. My question is to what free countries should do in the face of rising terrorist acts. The Egyptian students did nothing but it’s an example of what could have happened to make a “Perfect Storm of Terror” which may come someday. How do we handle this for the future? I think the 06 elections will hinge on this question. What do would you like the can dates to say
    The big deal is that DHS has recently implemented new regulations that require foreign students to report at the school within XX (I don't know the details) days of entering US. Apparently, these students decided to visit some family before proceeding to their school in Montana. Pretty boneheaded decision, but then which teenager hasn't made some?

Are there such "missing" students from "safe" countries that don't initiate national manhunts? Probably.

In this case, these being from Islamic nations with a history of terrorism aimed at us, DHS/FBI/authorities decided to pursue this more vigorously. Good.

The point is that most of the life of law enforcement is spent tracking down such things that lead to nothing. Let's not amplify these things beyond proportion and lose sleep over it, or worse, let paranoia lead to vigilante action against innocents.

That would be "giving the terrorists a victory".
    Last edited by aprasad; 08/11/2006 at 07:25 PM. Reason: spelling
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Where oh where have my Egyptians gone, where oh where could they be.....

Not to make light of national security, but after an all day flight, this thread title made me chuckle.
    Visor-->Visor Phone-->Treo 180-->Treo 270-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 755P-->Centro-->Pre+-->Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Be careful what you ask for: you might get it. Since one cannot necessarily tell in advance who one wants to implant, the easiest thing to do is to implant everyone. Where do you want yours?
    Not THERE. I'll tell you right now, I do not want it THERE.
    Ooops. Looks like some students are still missing:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/12/us...ts.html?ref=us
    Authorities Press the Search for Five Egyptian Students
    Federal authorities pressed their search yesterday for five Egyptian university students who failed to appear for a summer exchange program at Montana State University, but they said the missing students posed no security threat.

Since Wednesday, immigration agents and police officers have detained 6 of the 11 Egyptian students who vanished after they landed July 29 at Kennedy International Airport instead of reporting to the university in Bozeman, Mont., for a summer program. They were to study English, American culture and Montana history.

Another six of the students, who came from Mansoura University in the Nile Delta in northern Egypt, did arrive at the Montana campus on time. The search for the others intensified after the Federal Bureau of Investigation sent out a nationwide law enforcement alert on Monday.

The failure of the students to appear set off alarms from Montana to Washington, with Americans on edge about Islamic terrorism after a plot to bomb airplanes was thwarted this week in Britain. But the Egyptians’ tale appears to be about young men who saw a student visa as a chance for a summer job or a footloose lark in the United States, and who were happily unaware of how swiftly immigration authorities would discover that they were missing.
    The students are being held by Immigrations and Customs Enforcement for violating their visas and will probably be deported, officials said.

“We ran their names through all the databases and called overseas,” said Dean Boyd, a spokesman for the immigration agency, “and we came up with no indication they pose any criminal or terror threat.”
    Mr. Boyd said the quick notification was a sign that a system for monitoring student visas, set up in the wake of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, was working. Called the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System, it tracks nearly one million foreign students and exchange visitors at 10,000 schools and colleges across the country, to confirm that they are enrolled where their visas permit them to attend.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM