Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Exclusive: Iraq—Plans in Case of a Civil War

Newsweek Aug. 14, 2006 issue - The Bush administration insists Iraq is a long way from civil war, but the contingency planning has already begun inside the White House and the Pentagon. President Bush will move U.S. troops out of Iraq if the country descends into civil war, according to one senior Bush aide who declined to be named while talking about internal strategy. "If there's a full-blown civil war, the president isn't going to allow our forces to be caught in the crossfire," the aide said. "But institutionally, the government of Iraq isn't breaking down. It's still a unity government." Bush's position on a pullout of U.S. troops emerged in response to news-week's questions about Sen. John Warner, chairman of the Armed Services Committee. Warner warned last week that the president might require a new vote from Congress to allow troops to stay in Iraq in what he called "all-out civil war." But the senior Bush aide said the White House would need no prompting from Congress to get troops out "if the Iraqi government broke down completely along sectarian lines."

The White House prefers to focus on the more positive aspects of last week's testimony from Gen. John Abizaid, commander of U.S. forces in the Middle East, and Gen. Peter Pace, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. The generals gave a bleak assessment of the sectarian violence, but added that civil war was only a possibility, not a probability. In fact, the U.S. military in Iraq has completed several elements of contingency planning in case of civil war, based on lessons learned from Bosnia and Kosovo. The military's approach revolves around three principles. The first is to stop massacres by physically separating communities, moving minorities out of harm's way if necessary. The second is to stop the flow of paramilitary gangs across the country. And the third is to halt any incitement to violence on Iraqi TV and radio. Baghdad would pose the biggest problem, requiring a strict curfew and a ban on road traffic. The security measures would include widespread checkpoints and a ban on carrying firearms or explosives...
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Cut & Run
    Cut & Run? If there is a civil war...how effective will we be? We'd be getting it from both sides...it's bad enough trying to fight an enemy we can see and who melts into the community.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

4. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Cut & Run? If there is a civil war...how effective will we be? We'd be getting it from both sides...it's bad enough trying to fight an enemy we can see and who melts into the community.
    Sarcasm, just repeating Fox News.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    I don't think you have to defend yourself here. Cut and Run means technically to leave Iraq without 'finishing the job', right?

I think it's entirely appropriate to sling this back at the administration if they pursue this strategy.
  6.    #6  
    Hmm, good point. Wonder what's going to happen to Iraq now?
  7.    #7  

"according to one senior Bush aide who declined to be named"
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Gotcha
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Re: Blaze's pics, more of the "It's America's fault" mantra.
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster
    I don't think you have to defend yourself here. Cut and Run means technically to leave Iraq without 'finishing the job', right?

I think it's entirely appropriate to sling this back at the administration if they pursue this strategy.
    G-funk: He wasnt defending himself...he was clarifiying his statement.

I like your definition of cut and run...but that begs the question of what 'finishing the job' means? If it becomes a civil war (Im not convinced its as close as the MSM states) then I don't see the need to purposely loose lives if we cant succeed.

G-funk: He wasnt defending himself...he was clarifiying his statement.

I like your definition of cut and run...but that begs the question of what 'finishing the job' means? If it becomes a civil war (Im not convinced its as close as the MSM states) then I don't see the need to purposely loose lives if we cant succeed.
    Well, the pentagon sees it this way too:

"the Pentagon suggested lawmakers make the point that "Iraq will become a haven for terrorists, murderers and thugs," if the United States leaves "before the job is done." ... "We cannot cut and run," it says at another point.."

I'm not attacking that position here, i'm in favor of a withdrawal regardless and am in agreement, if we can't succeed, why lose more lives? (wait, haven't we been saying that for years now??)

Just saying it's a gross phrase, and it's worked for them to push their cause, but that shouldn't make them magically immune to it.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    "according to one senior Bush aide who declined to be named"

No According to Newsweek.
  14.    #14  
    Re: Blaze's pics, more of the "It's America's fault" mantra.
    This war is George Bush's fault.

The photos illustrate lessons from history to which he seemed (and still does seem) ignorant.
  15.    #15  
    To summarize my point since the beginning, and the point made to the Bush administration by the CIA and his own advisors.

Overthrowing the only secular power in the middle east, and replacing it with an American puppet government has no chance of survival once our troops leave.

Overthrowing the only secular power in the middle east, and replacing it with the government the Iraqi's want means installing an Islamic Theocracy.

Brilliant plan all the way around.
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    This war is George Bush's fault.

The photos illustrate lessons from history to which he seemed (and still does seem) ignorant.
    Lessons from history that all, oddly, seem to portray the majors problems of the ME as America's fault.

No According to Newsweek.
    And NewsWeek got it from whom?
  18.    #18  
    Lessons from history that all, oddly, seem to portray the majors problems of the ME as America's fault.
    Glad I could set you straight now.
  19.    #19  
    And NewsWeek got it from whom?
    Well, either they made it up as a part of a vast left wing conspiracy of the liberal left wing drive by media elite.

Or, they got it from a senior white house aide. lol
    Glad I could set you straight now.
    Appears I was straight from the beginning.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast