Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Almost 2,000 bodies taken to Baghdad morgue
    Wed Aug 9, 2006 5:51am ET

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Almost 2,000 bodies were brought to Baghdad's morgue last month, an official said on Wednesday, recording the highest number since an attack in February on a Shi'ite shrine that sparked a wave of sectarian bloodshed.

Morgue assistant manager, Doctor Abdul Razzaq al-Obaidi, told Reuters about 90 percent of the deaths were due to violence in the capital, where U.S. and Iraqi forces have stepped up their troops levels to combat sectarian bloodshed.

"Most of the cases have gunshot wounds to the head. Some of them were strangled and others were beaten to death with clubs," said Obaidi.

The morgue toll was a jump from 1,595 in June and is the largest number since the aftermath of the bombing of the Golden Mosque of Samarra, blamed by the U.S. and Iraq on al Qaeda.

Iraq's health, interior and defense ministries consistently provide lower figures than those released by the morgue.

Figures from those ministries showed about 1,000 civilians were killed across Iraq in July in "terrorism" attacks in the highest monthly civilian death toll in six months. Some 1,820 civilians were wounded.

A monthly report from those ministries said 79 police were killed and 148 were wounded in July, while 63 Iraqi soldiers were killed and 37 wounded.

The increasing sectarian violence has prompted fears of civil war...
    ^no comment, just a post? I read that on all the news wire.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    It is curious how Blaze picks out what to post here. Is there a certain criteria?
    Besides being Anti-Bush or America's fault.....just throwing stories against to wall without comment to see what sticks and what falls to the bottom of the threads.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Besides being Anti-Bush or America's fault.....just throwing stories against to wall without comment to see what sticks and what falls to the bottom of the threads.
    This administration's war is not America's fault.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    ^no comment, just a post? I read that on all the news wire.
    Yeah, you're right, yawn ho hum, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Yeah, you're right, yawn ho hum, lol.
    I think the point is there is no value added by just reposting things here. If anything, it betrays a lack of original thought. Try to add something, otherwise, you're just copying other people's work. And if you think that by merely posting the story you are giving an opinion, I feel I can state that we all know you hold that opinion. No need to convince us.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    I think the point is there is no value added by just reposting things here. If anything, it betrays a lack of original thought. Try to add something, otherwise, you're just copying other people's work. And if you think that by merely posting the story you are giving an opinion, I feel I can state that we all know you hold that opinion. No need to convince us.
    Well in fairness, I feel pretty confident I know the opinion of just about every poster so far in the thread on the matter. I wouldn't say it's a reason to stop discussing.

With respect to adding value to the thread, it seems posts #1, and #5 are the only ones so far that do so.

Lastly, I attempted to merge this in to the Bush plans to pull out of Iraq thread right after I posted it, or delete it and add it over there, but turns out I'm not able.
  9.    #9  
    So now that it's done, how's this for adding value.

2,000 were killed in one month, in one morgue.

Would you rather walk down the street in Baghdad today? Or under Saddam?

Are we winning?

What are we winning exactly?
    So now that it's done, how's this for adding value.

2,000 were killed in one month, in one morgue.

Would you rather walk down the street in Baghdad today? Or under Saddam?

Are we winning?

What are we winning exactly?
    Do you think these tolls will drop if the U.S. leaves?
  11.    #11  
    Do you think these tolls will drop if the U.S. leaves?
    Nope, I think it won't stop until they establish the Islamic Theocracy that Saddam fought against. Whether our troops are there or not.
    Nope, I think it won't stop until they establish the Islamic Theocracy that Saddam fought against. Whether our troops are there or not.
    Ah yes, Saddam the freedom fighter. And on the way to this "Islamic Theocracy" do you not think the slaughter will reach an even more horrific scale?
    Ah yes, Saddam the freedom fighter. And on the way to this "Islamic Theocracy" do you not think the slaughter will reach an even more horrific scale?
    That is something the Administration should have planned for, thought about and had a way to address. Kicking over a hornets nest and then shrugging our shoulders is not good enough.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    This administration's war is not America's fault.
    And all of the other "atrocities" committed by the American government prior to 2001?
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    That is something the Administration should have planned for, thought about and had a way to address. Kicking over a hornets nest and then shrugging our shoulders is not good enough.
    I don't see anyone shrugging shoulders.
  16.    #16  
    Ah yes, Saddam the freedom fighter.
    Oops, The Mujahideen were the freedom fighters. Osama was a MujMujahideen. Saddam was the secular dictator who held on to power by torturing and killing Shea Islamic Extremists who had been trying to overthrow his regime in favor of the afformentioned Theocracy.

See?

It's the advice given to the administration by the United States terrorism czar and the CIA when they were planning an invasion of Iraq in response to 9/11.
    And on the way to this "Islamic Theocracy" do you not think the slaughter will reach an even more horrific scale?
    Yes.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    And all of the other "atrocities" committed by the American government prior to 2001?
    You're going to have to be more clear. I have no idea what you are talking about.
    You're going to have to be more clear. I have no idea what you are talking about.
    You're very fond of posting about American atrocities. I'm just wondering who you think was at fault for those atrocities commited prior to Bush.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    I don't see anyone shrugging shoulders.
    My view of the whole mess: There is no easy way out of this mess. I don't want to "cut" and "run". We have to stay there and pull all resources into avoiding the civil war. This may include a partition of Iraq into 3 parts.

We'll lose soldiers in the process.. but that is something we as Americans have to be prepared for.

Now: THE CURRENT ADMINISTRATION SHOULD BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR PUTTING US IN THIS HORRIBLE MESS.

(Yes, I am shouting).

All those who voted to "stay the course" in 2004 should be held accountable as well. They were basically rewarding the administration for the blunders. We could have changed administrations and found a way to get out of the situation. The critical thing was the need to change the horses in the mid-stream, if the horses were dragging us into the river.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Handing Iraq over to the Shea extremists is not acceptable.

Using American Soldiers as a buffer in Iraq's civil war is not acceptable.

Seems like this war was kind of a bad idea.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast