Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    That would be a short political career.

Don't blame the politicians for doing what it takes to get elected. Blame the electorate.
    Can't we blame both? The truth is one ain't much without the other.
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I feel this article sums it up best.

Source: NY Times (editorial)

Revenge of the Irate Moderates

Published: August 9, 2006

The defeat of Senator Joseph Lieberman at the hands of a little-known Connecticut businessman is bound to send a message to politicians of both parties that voters are angry and frustrated over the war in Iraq. The primary upset was not, however, a rebellion against the bipartisanship and centrism that Mr. Lieberman said he represented in the Senate. Instead, Connecticut Democrats were reacting to the way those concepts have been perverted by the Bush White House.

Ned Lamont, a relative political novice, said he ran against Mr. Lieberman because he was offended by the senatorís sunny descriptions of what was happening in Iraq and his denunciation of Democrats who criticized the administrationís handling of the war. Many other people in Connecticut may have felt that sense of frustration, but no one else had the money and moxie to do what Mr. Lamont did. Mr. Lieberman was stunned to find himself on the defensive, and it was only in the last few weeks that the 18-year veteran mounted a desperate campaign to reclaim his partyís support.

-snip-
    Quote Originally Posted by KR
    [editted to include link to original and eliminate excessive posting of copyright material-KR]
    I almost always put a link to the original. And I did so In this case as well, look at the 'Source' caption.
    Last edited by NRG; 08/09/2006 at 11:33 AM.
    I think the lessons drawn from Uncle Joe's defeat yesterday will be almost entirely derived from bias that the pundit brings to the table. It's all about the war. It's all about this. It's all about that. The NYT is opinion-driven. Even off the Op-Ed pages.

I am acutely aware that my perception of the war and politics and the D's and the R's and George Bush and all of that stuff is driven by a few key beliefs I hold. My views are driven by the prism through which I look. I might have preconceived notions.

I hope that the pundits who weigh in on the Ned vs. Joe thing will at least give us a clue to their preconceptions so we can take their opinions with the appropriate grain of salt.

Me, I remember 1972. I still have McGovern campaign buttons in a box in the garage somewhere. Interesting how after his Senate career good old George took a few sanity pills after he became a business owner, running a hotel.

EDIT: Gah. Four paragraphs. Starting words: I, I, I, me. Who gets the "Self-Centered Award For The Day"?
    I did not see what text was originally quoted of that editorial, but the core part comes at the end:

"...The rebellion against Mr. Lieberman was actually an uprising by that rare phenomenon, irate moderates. They are the voters who have been unnerved over the last few years as the country has seemed to be galloping in a deeply unmoderate direction. A war that began at the presidentís choosing has degenerated into a desperate, bloody mess that has turned much of the world against the United States. The administrationís contempt for international agreements, Congressional prerogatives and the authority of the courts has undermined the rule of law abroad and at home.

Yet while all this has been happening, the political discussion in Washington has become a captive of the Bush agenda. Traditional beliefs like every personís right to a day in court, or the conviction that America should not start wars it does not know how to win, wind up being portrayed as extreme. The middle becomes a place where senators struggle to get the president to volunteer to obey the law when the mood strikes him. Attempting to regain the real center becomes a radical alternative.

When Mr. Lieberman told The Washington Post, ďI havenít changed. Events around me have changed,Ē he actually put his finger on his political problem. His constituents felt that when the White House led the country into a disastrous international crisis and started subverting the nationís basic traditions, Joe Lieberman should have changed enough to take a lead in fighting back."
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    I did not see what text was originally quoted of that editorial, but the core part comes at the end:

"...The rebellion against Mr. Lieberman was actually an uprising by that rare phenomenon, irate moderates. They are the voters who have been unnerved over the last few years as the country has seemed to be galloping in a deeply unmoderate direction. A war that began at the presidentís choosing has degenerated into a desperate, bloody mess that has turned much of the world against the United States. The administrationís contempt for international agreements, Congressional prerogatives and the authority of the courts has undermined the rule of law abroad and at home.

Yet while all this has been happening, the political discussion in Washington has become a captive of the Bush agenda. Traditional beliefs like every personís right to a day in court, or the conviction that America should not start wars it does not know how to win, wind up being portrayed as extreme. The middle becomes a place where senators struggle to get the president to volunteer to obey the law when the mood strikes him. Attempting to regain the real center becomes a radical alternative.

When Mr. Lieberman told The Washington Post, ďI havenít changed. Events around me have changed,Ē he actually put his finger on his political problem. His constituents felt that when the White House led the country into a disastrous international crisis and started subverting the nationís basic traditions, Joe Lieberman should have changed enough to take a lead in fighting back."
    That's DAMNED insightful!!
  6. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE

That's why KR is not an editor at TC.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    That's why KR is not an editor at TC.
    Yep. Just quote a small portion, and even if it's the "core" I won't touch it.
    I feel this article sums it up best.

I almost always put a link to the original. And I did so In this case as well, look at the 'Source' caption.
    Ah, true. Nevertheless, you can't just wholesale repeat the bulk of a copyrighted piece on the boards.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Lieberman loss is like Palm selling a windows base phone. He was old and been around a long time however he spoke and voted his own mind bottom line he did his job.
    Quote Originally Posted by g.711
    Lieberman loss is like Palm selling a windows base phone. He was old and been around a long time however he spoke and voted his own mind bottom line he did his job.
    As both a long time treo user and 18 year connecticut resident, I feel I should be able to make sense of that. But yet I still can't.
  11. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    As both a long time treo user and 18 year connecticut resident, I feel I should be able to make sense of that. But yet I still can't.
    Neither can I.
  12. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Ah, true. Nevertheless, you can't just wholesale repeat the bulk of a copyrighted piece on the boards.
    I was rebelling against the NY Times reg policy. Sorry
    I was rebelling against the NY Times reg policy. Sorry
    I actually did a google news search for the opening line and apparently the Amherst Times (or whatever it is) also published it today. "Interesting" I thought, but posted a link to the original.
    He won't be the last to be held accountable. It won't be long now.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts

Maybe the poetic justice would be for Lieberman to not go independent but go Republican and then defeat Lemont.
    Quote Originally Posted by g.711
    Maybe the poetic justice would be for Lieberman to not go independent but go Republican and then defeat Lemont.
    Hehehe, I think he would. I know of a few republicans who voted for Lieberman the first time he ran. Of course, if they'd known they'd have to deal with Weicker as a governor, perhaps they'd have sent him to Washington.
    What's the big deal? Lieberman has his views. The electorate have spoken. Let the process work.

(See post http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...9&postcount=98 )
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Hear hear!
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Just wondering then, who the democrats are going to have run for president in '08? Its going to be hard to find any viable congress person that didnt vote for the war.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomUps
    Just wondering then, who the democrats are going to have run for president in '08? Its going to be hard to find any viable congress person that didnt vote for the war.
    hmm, that's interesting, completely ignoring the election going on right now, and looking forward to 2008

It's ok, I can understand why.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast