Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    If Lebanon can not control Hezbollah, why is the security council seeking an agreement between Israel and Lebanon?
    Let's face it. The United Nations is a gentlemen's club for heads of state, aimed at perpetuating the welfare of the head of state. The Security Council is not designed to take action. It is designed to maintain its own existence. All other activities are trivial.

If you are a dictator systematically starving your population to death, welcome to the club. The U.N. will -- at worst -- pass a nonbinding resolution that "Someone should probably do something." In short, the U.N. has methods for dealing -- totally ineffectively -- with people like Robert Mugabe. Everyone feels good, goes home, has a cocktail, and a country and its people keep going down the tubes.

But the U.N. Security Council has no way of dealing with the Party of God. The Party of God ain't a member of the club. So here the self-serving platitudes and "tsk, tsk" sounds are visibly hollow. Even the U.N. enthusiast probably must acknowledge that the Security Council completely lacks leverage.

But since the only thing the Security Council can do is make arrangements between heads of state, that it what it is going to do. So what if it doesn't cure the problem? Paraphrasing Abraham Maslow, when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

The U.N. can and probably eventually will insert some rental soldiers from its poor member countries. The effectiveness of the strategy over time will be minimal, based on prior experience. And the two real parties in interest -- the Party of God and the nation of Israel -- will be in precisely the same position as before.

However, in the short run the civilians caught in the middle will at least be a little safer. That's the civilians on both sides of the border (clue to the one-eyed partisans for the Party of God or for Israel).
    UN doesn't have any teeth. It depends on member nations to volunteer troops for any peacekeeping. Any volunteers?

Similar paralysis (which is built-into the UN setup) resulted in the genocide in Rwanda while the civilized world tut-tutted.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    A huge waste of time. If Hezbollah is not disarmed, we will just be seeing this whole thing again in the near future.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomUps
    A huge waste of time. If Hezbollah is not disarmed, we will just be seeing this whole thing again in the near future.
    And since the Party of God will not be disarmed (this will not happen voluntarily and no one except Israel has the will to do it) your prediction will come true.

The impending cease fire will not address the root causes. The diplomatic yip-yap afterward will not address the root causes. Israel cannot obliterate the Party of God, so that is not a long term solution, despite wishful thinking from the Israeli population. The Party of God cannot obliterate Israel. That is not a long term solution, despite wishful thinking by the Party of God.

I call them the Party of God because I think it is important for us to use the English translation of the name "Hezb allah."

But if I were a dad living in Lebanon or northern Israel I would welcome a cease fire because my kids would be out of danger one day at a time.

Northern Ireland, anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    If Lebanon can not control Hezbollah, why is the security council seeking an agreement between Israel and Lebanon?
    A treaty between Israel and Lebanon is sort of incorrect albeit (and sadly) it is looking that way to the naked eye. Obviously this war is between Hezbollah and Israel, but Lebanon lands its country (not by choice of course) to be the battleground arena.
    Hey, Lebanon would never admit it but deploying 15,000 lebanese troops to southern Lebanon would be possible after hezbollah is weakened (that's why the offer by Lebanon never came sooner).
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    If Lebanon is now willing to deploy the troops, why didnt they do it 6 years when the UN called for it?
    Lebanon deploying troops? What a farce! Their military is controled by Hezbollah. The only solution with a lasting result is for Israel to destroy Hezbollah and that means getting Syria and Iran out of the picture - especially Iran.
    Ben
  9. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Looking at this thread, I can see why our foregin policy is in shambles.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Saying that the UN is a useless, toothless, entity is just being honest NRG. If you cannot see thats the truth then your blind and have no knowledge of history. Instead of putting down everybody in the thread (something I noticed the liberal left likes to do when their opinion differs), why dont you post your great idea. Im sure it will be very balanced, and can bring about a lasting peace in the middle east.
    Last edited by TomUps; 08/09/2006 at 08:45 AM.
    Instead of putting down everybody in the thread (something I noticed the liberal left likes to do when their opinion differs), .....
    Ah the irony of that remark ..
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    The only solution with a lasting result is for Israel to destroy Hezbollah and that means getting Syria and Iran out of the picture - especially Iran.
    And the best way of achieving that is .....?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Ah the irony of that remark ..
    Explain the irony please. The far right is just as bad.
    He is complaining about a general put-down of everybody .. while putting down all liberals in general.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    He is complaining about a general put-down of everybody .. while putting down all liberals in general.
    and the far right.
    How so?
  17. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Saying that the UN is a useless
    This line of thinking will help accomplish nothing IMO. To claim the UN is useless, is to claim that all the things it has created are BS. I do not think you are arguing that, are you?

toothless, entity is just being honest NRG.
    And Aprasad was right about this, it is a toothless org, it depends on member nations, or in otherwords the world community.

If you cannot see thats the truth then your blind and have no knowledge of history.
    I see it, I understand it, and I do not like the way our forgein policy is being conducted.

Instead of putting down everybody in the thread (something I noticed the liberal left likes to do when their opinion differs),
    Where did I put anyone down in this thread. All I did was comment on the opinions, not anyone personally.

why dont you post your great idea. Im sure it will be very balanced, and can bring about a lasting peace in the middle east.
    I have already posted my ideas. Let me ask you what would you differently?
  18. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by impish
    How so?
    Caught you editing!! I saw your Utopia comment.

I just think we have to work with the world to accomplish our goals, and I don't believe John Bolton, is working in that capacity.

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I have already posted my ideas. Let me ask you what would you differently?
    For there to be a lasting peace between Lebanon and Israel........
    1. Hezbollah must be disarmed, supply lines of weapons to Hez., originating in Iran and going through Syria must be shutdown.
    2. An international force must be deployed into southern lebanon. This force must have the right and the ability to fight back against hezbollah when/if Hez. attacks either them, or starts lobbing rockets into Israel again.
    3. The two captured Israeli soldiers must be released unharmed. You can call this a prisoner swap if you want, but it must be a fair exchange. The days of exchanging one Israeli soldiers for thousands of arab prisoners is over.
    4. The Lebanese goverment has to start taking full responsibility for the actions of any militia or terrorist group operating freely in its own country.
    5. Sheeba farms...resolve it already.
    Caught you editing!! I saw your eutopia comment. I just think we have to work with the world to accomplish our goals.
    Your definition of "the world" seems homogenous, as though we all need to think alike. Or agree.
    See, I agree with your opinion in principal but I also recognize its naive-conutation for there's no utopia. Here's one area where the UN is showing its aloofness and bogus-votes: Sheer Numbers!
    Examples:
    * Number of Arab countries that have been members of the U.N. Security Council: 16

* Percentage of U.N. Commission on Human Rights resolutions condemning an Arab country for human rights violations: 0

* Percentage of U.N. Commission on Human Rights resolutions condemning Israel for human rights violations: 26

* Number of U.N. Security Council resolutions on the Middle East between 1948 and 1991: 175
    Number of these resolutions against Israel: 97
    Number of these resolutions against an Arab state: 4

* Number of U.N. General Assembly resolutions condemning Israel: 322

* Number of U.N. General Assembly resolutions condemning an Arab country: 0

And the list goes on and on and on. One can be cynical about the UN despite the notion that it is indeed an institution with a higher-purpose and dignity.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast