Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by impish
    It is mentioned!
    "Number of Arab countries: 19"

And according to Wikipedia the Arab world consists of 22 countries.

Your source:

Number of Arab countries that have been members of the U.N. Security Council: 16
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Selective wording by your author:

Percentage of U.N. Commission on Human Rights resolutions condemning an Arab country for human rights violations: 0

Percentage of U.N. Commission on Human Rights resolutions condemning Israel for human rights violations: 26
    Wikipedia explaining one example of an Arab country be comdemned, albeit through the Security Council

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...n_Human_Rights
    One major consequence of the election of Sudan to the commission is the lack of willingness for some countries to work through the commission. Indeed, on July 30, 2004 it was the United Nations Security Council, not the Commission, that passed a resolution threatening Sudan with unspecified sanctions if the situation in the Darfur region did not improve within the next 30 days. The Security Council passed the resolution 130, with China and Pakistan abstaining. The reasons given for the action were the attacks by the Janjaweed Arab militias of Sudan on the non-Arab African Muslim population of Darfur, a region in western Sudan.

3. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    Regardless of the definition of Arab state, it should be easy enough to review the UN resolutions to determine if there is a trend.
    I do not think so, as far as the trend statement goes.

But right on digging through those UN statements. Impish should have researched his article a little better. If you are going try and state something so matter of factly via an article, it would be best to trust the source.
    I think you want to see in the UN something that it isn't. I like to think of it as something grand and beautiful and useful and fair and honest, but it isn't. So I'm cynical....shoot me....
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    I do not think so, as far as the trend statement goes.

But right on digging through those UN statements. Impish should have researched his article a little better. If you are going try and state something so matter of factly via an article, it would be best to trust the source.
    Point well taken and I did just that. And please pay close attention to the dates mentioned in that source I gave you, they are NOT up to date.
    Last edited by impish; 08/09/2006 at 12:49 PM.
    Quote: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...on_Human_Rights
    One major consequence of the election of Sudan to the commission is the lack of willingness for some countries to work through the commission. Indeed, on July 30, 2004 it was the United Nations Security Council, not the Commission, that passed a resolution threatening Sudan with unspecified sanctions if the situation in the Darfur region did not improve within the next 30 days. The Security Council passed the resolution 130, with China and Pakistan abstaining. The reasons given for the action were the attacks by the Janjaweed Arab militias of Sudan on the non-Arab African Muslim population of Darfur, a region in western Sudan.
    The article was written in 2004, and your example above from Wikipedia happened AFTER the source's article was written!
  7. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Look who writes for that source of yours.

Good old Max Boot. Mr PNAC himself

Here is a list of contributiors for that 'source'. No wonder why there is no sources noted.

Mitch Albom
    Michael Barone
    Tad Bartimus
    Dave Barry
    Tony Blankley
    Max Boot
    Andy Borowitz
    Tucker Carlson
    Mona Charen
    David Chartrand
    Linda Chavez
    Richard Chesnoff
    Andrei Codrescu
    Ann Coulter
    Greg Crosby
    Brad Dickson
    Larry Elder
    Suzanne Fields
    John Fund
    Frank J. Gaffney
    Lloyd Garver
    Jonah Goldberg
    Michael Goodwin
    Julia Gorin
    Michael Graham
    Jonathan Gurwitz
    Paul Greenberg
    David Grimes
    Victor Davis Hanson
    Betsy Hart
    Nat Hentoff
    David Horowitz
    Jeff Jacoby
    Marianne Jennings
    Dean P. Johnson
    Paul Johnson
    Garrison Keillor
    Jack Kelly
    Ed Koch
    Ch. Krauthammer
    Donald Lambro
    Jerry Large
    Michael Ledeen
    James Lileks
    David Limbaugh
    Kathryn Lopez
    Rich Lowry
    Michelle Malkin
    Jackie Mason
    The Medicine Men
    Michael Medved
    **** Morris
    Bill O'Reilly
    Clarence Page
    Kathleen Parker
    Leonard Pitts, Jr.
    Dennis Prager
    Wesley Pruden
    Tom Purcell
    Jonathan Rauch
    Celia Rivenbark
    Robert Robb
    Cokie & Steve Roberts
    Ron Rosenbaum
    Pat Sajak
    Debra J. Saunders
    Joe Scarborough
    Culture Shlock
    Ian Shoales
    Lenore Skenazy
    Thomas Sowell
    Joel Stein
    Mark Steyn
    John Stossel
    Cal Thomas
    Jonathan Tobin
    Jonathan Turley
    Bob Tyrrell
    Diana West
    Dave Weinbaum
    Gene Weingarten
    George Will
    Walter Williams
    Mort Zuckerman
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by impish
    The article was written in 2004, and your example above from Wikipedia happened AFTER the source's article was written!
    What about condemnation against Iraq?
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Why not let the international force disarm them?
    And I got to ask, what international force do you have in mind that will be willing to take Hezbollah on? Israel is having a hard enough time doing it now, you really think troops from Saudi Arabia and Bahrain will be able to do it? Dont even bring up the french.
    What about condemnation against Iraq?
    On what date?
    NRG, you don't like the people in the list, so be it. (I am glad you have listed them because many are great people and from a broad political spectrum: George Will: A respected writer for The Washington Post and Newsweek, conservative; Andrei Codrescu: NPR, liberal, poet and writer; Garrison Keillor: Writer, liberal, poet, NPR, lecturer; Cokie Roberts: a senior news analyst for NPR & chief congressional analyst for ABC News -- making it obvious that I am not the only person who is picking a bone with the UN.)

My point is: The UN, on paper, is a wonderful idea. In reality it is a political organization that is biased, one-sided, unfair: And too often.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123