Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Generals paint bleak picture for Iraq
    All-out civil war possible soon, 2 top military officials tell senators

John Koopman, Chronicle Staff Writer
    Friday, August 4, 2006

Two of America's top generals now say the situation in Iraq could soon turn into a full-fledged civil war, an assessment most experts agree will prove true if the United States doesn't move quickly to provide security, jobs and an effective government in a nation long without any of those.

"We do have the possibility of that devolving into a civil war," Gen. Peter Pace, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told the Senate Armed Services Committee in Washington on Thursday.

"Iraq could move toward civil war," said Gen. John Abizaid, the top U.S. commander in the Middle East.

It was a rare use of the term "civil war" by anyone in the top echelons of American government. Other officials, from President Bush on down, have long contended that the term is inaccurate to describe the kind of fighting that has taken place in the past year.

But Pace and Abizaid told the Senate committee that the violence in Baghdad is as bad as they've seen it since the United States invaded Iraq in March 2003. Pace expressed surprise that the situation had unraveled as far as it has.

"They're always surprised," John Pike, a military analyst who runs the Web site Globalsecurity.org, said in an interview.

Pike said Americans tend to perceive war in terms of sports analogies -- that the rules remain the same and that everyone keeps score in the same way.

"In a war, you change the rules all the time," he said. "You change what you're doing in order to gain an advantage over the enemy. In sports, you assume it's a fair fight. But war is unfair. You never want to get into a fair fight."

Pace said the issue of civil war in Iraq is ultimately up to the Iraqis to resolve.

"Shiite and Sunni are going to have to love their children more than they hate each other," he said. "The weight of that must be on the Iraqi people and the Iraqi government."

Anthony Cordesman, a respected military analyst at the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington, said in an interview that it is still too early to determine the outcome in Iraq. Certainly, he said, Iraq could benefit from more U.S. troops on the ground to help with security and stabilization -- but only if they are properly trained and put into positions that will help the Iraqis.

"Boots on the ground is only useful if there are brains above those boots," he said, adding that the U.S. military is not well-prepared for many of its units to conduct counterinsurgency operations.

Acknowledgment that the sectarian violence in Iraq could devolve into civil war could not come at a worse time for the Bush administration. Just weeks ago, Gen. George Casey, the top U.S. commander in Iraq, had suggested that troop levels, now around 133,000, might be reduced by the end of the year.

Abizaid told the committee that troop reductions still might be possible. "But I think the most important thing to imagine is Baghdad coming under the control of the Iraqi government," he said.

The downbeat testimony at Thursday's hearings brought sharp criticism from committee members, even from supporters of the war. Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., described counterinsurgency efforts as "whack-a-mole," in which generals try to curb violence in one area only to see it pop up somewhere else.

"It's very disturbing," said McCain. "And if it's all up to the Iraqi military ... then I wonder why we have to move troops into Baghdad to intervene in what is clearly sectarian violence."

The possibility of civil war in Iraq also led to a sharp exchange between Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-N.Y., and Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld. Clinton told Rumsfeld he was "presiding over a failed policy" in Iraq.

"My goodness," Rumsfeld replied, then restated administration positions. "Our role is to support the government. The government is holding together. The armed forces are holding together," he said....
    Hearing Hillary speak about failed policies was amusing.

These are two serious generals and their words are not to be taken lightly. We need to increase our commitment.
  3.    #3  
    lol, Right, same thing they told us when they said we would be greeted like libertators, and have flowers thrown at our feet, push forward with war. Different disease, same cure, even if it is killing the patient.
    They're pulling these troops from the Mosul area and moving them to Baghdad. Do you suppose that maybe it is because of our success in Mosul?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever
    They're pulling these troops from the Mosul area and moving them to Baghdad. Do you suppose that maybe it is because of our success in Mosul?
    Hmm, well the Generals in charge said it was to avoid all out civil war, but I suppose yours could be considered an "alternative" reason.
    If Mosul weren't stable then they would be requesting forces from outside the theater.
  7.    #7  
    If Mosul weren't stable then they would be requesting forces from outside the theater.
    Whew, just goes to show you, theres a silver lining to every War.
    That's right, it's a war. Not a law enforcement "problem" or even a "police action".
    Do a Google News search for Mosul.

A car bomb killed the police chief and 9 others. Gun battles erupt in Mosul.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Whether you were for or against the war, I think its pretty clear its not going to well. The occupation part was planned and executed poorly. Rumsfeld has to take the heat on this one, and he should probably just resign.

With that being said, I find it very disturbing seeing Hillary up there preaching about military strategies and failed promises. Afterall, she voted for the war. If it was somebody like Feingold, I think it would be alot easier on the stomach for most Americans, since he was against the war from the beginning. Instead, we get another political circus, from a politician more interested in putting on a big show for the cameras than actually trying to find a resolution to the problem.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomUps
    ..we get another political circus, from a politician more interested in putting on a big show for the cameras than actually trying to find a resolution to the problem.
    shocking
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Do a Google News search for Mosul.

A car bomb killed the police chief and 9 others. Gun battles erupt in Mosul.
    It is a garden spot compared to Ramadi/Baghdad. It is going to be a long war.
  13.    #13  
    It is going to be a long war.
    You don't say.
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    You don't say.
    Yep. And the alternative is unacceptable.
  15.    #15  
    Yep. And the alternative is unacceptable.
    Sounds like a real mess.
    Whether you were for or against the war, I think its pretty clear its not going to well. The occupation part was planned and executed poorly. Rumsfeld has to take the heat on this one, and he should probably just resign.

With that being said, I find it very disturbing seeing Hillary up there preaching about military strategies and failed promises. Afterall, she voted for the war. If it was somebody like Feingold, I think it would be alot easier on the stomach for most Americans, since he was against the war from the beginning. Instead, we get another political circus, from a politician more interested in putting on a big show for the cameras than actually trying to find a resolution to the problem.
    Actually, Hillary represents the majority of moderates who were snowed by this Admin's song and dance and now regret it. I'd say that politically her positioning couldn't be stronger.

And she did call for Rumsfeld's resignation for the first time yesterday.
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Sounds like a real mess.
    It is the normal state of human affairs.

I do believe that we can fight them there, or we can fight them here. At last count, we were 0/1 fighting them here.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Actually, Hillary represents the majority of moderates who were snowed by this Admin's song and dance and now regret it. I'd say that politically her positioning couldn't be stronger.

And she did call for Rumsfeld's resignation for the first time yesterday.
    Didnt she see the same intel that rumsfeld and the prez saw? Its all a political game. Why else do you think the dems choose her to do the questioning? Do you think it might have alittle to do with he quest for the white house? I guess theres nothing wrong with it, but Im sick of the political game on both sides, especially when our troops are being shot at.
    Didnt she see the same intel that rumsfeld and the prez saw? Its all a political game. Why else do you think the dems choose her to do the questioning? Do you think it might have alittle to do with he quest for the white house? I guess theres nothing wrong with it, but Im sick of the political game on both sides, especially when our troops are being shot at.
    No, I don't think she did. Remember, Rummy was baking his own Intel.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    No, I don't think she did. Remember, Rummy was baking his own Intel.
    Is this your opinion, or is it a fact? source please?.....I agree though, Rummy should go (for all I care, he can take Hillary with him).
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast