Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    I don't see a significant diff.
    You can see how he/she smudged the smoke upwards. But, yeah not too much of a difference.
    I see more smoke on the left side of the second pic and its much darker (adding to the effect).

News is about sensationalism...doctoring the pic at all seemed to be unethical.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Smoke is smoke - it doesn't seem worth it to me to add a bit of smoke to a photo and thus jeopardize your job.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  4. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    doctoring the pic at all seemed to be unethical.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    I don't see a significant diff.
    He also edited a second picture (I dont know how to post images here), but it shows an Israeli jet firing 3 missles, when in reality, the jet only shot one defensive flare. Heres the link....

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...287774,00.html

Its pretty amazing how anyone can defend this as not being that big of a deal.
  6. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TomUps
    He also edited a second picture (I dont know how to post images here), but it shows an Israeli jet firing 3 missles, when in reality, the jet only shot one defensive flare. Heres the link....

Here you go. It looks like defensive flares to me, not missiles. Missiles do not lag behind their firer.

I think doctoring stuff is a big deal. However, my point is that if you are going to commit a fraud and doctor it, you might as well make it a good one!
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!

To be fair...doctoring the smoke pic didnt add that much to the photo and doesnt seem to be to the same degree as adding missles to a jet when it shot a flare.

Either way though...I don't like it and I think its a mistake to do it.

(I was thinking though...I do some desktop publishing and when we go to print in black and white...we have to lighten/darken the photo because you lose picture 'quality' on some printers...maybe that could be a reason for the darkening of the smoke clouds?)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Here you go. It looks like defensive flares to me, not missiles. Missiles do not lag behind their firer.

They dont but the accompanying quote with the photo misled readers:

The latest image to face doubts is a photograph of an Israeli F-16 fighter jet over the skies of Lebanon, seen in the image firing off "missiles during an air strike on Nabatiyeh," according to the image's accompanying text provided by Reuters.

10. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    (I was thinking though...I do some desktop publishing and when we go to print in black and white...we have to lighten/darken the photo because you lose picture 'quality' on some printers...maybe that could be a reason for the darkening of the smoke clouds?)
    Yeah, he/she probably did 'Auto Levels'.
  11. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    They dont but the accompanying quote with the photo misled readers:
    I would have liked to have seen the original story. You know, that whole, trust no one mentality.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    I would have liked to have seen the original story. You know, that whole, trust no one mentality.
    I hear ya. But even so, by putting three, it gives a different impression than one...then if the text was added...its completely fabricated.

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I hear ya. But even so, by putting three, it gives a different impression than one...then if the text was added...its completely fabricated.
    And your basically inventing news instead of reporting on it.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    That was hilarious

the fact anyone would say this photo doctoring is not a big deal is scary, and speaks volumes about their character/ethics.

I knew Reuters was biased, but jeez...
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    the fact anyone would say this photo doctoring is not a big deal is scary, and speaks volumes about their character/ethics.

I knew Reuters was biased, but jeez...
    Arguing from the perspective of degree...the smoke pic wasnt that bad. There was no mention of a quote or the story being fabricated like the missle pic. And there might have been a legitimate reason to darken it (but not increase the volume).

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Arguing from the perspective of degree...the smoke pic wasnt that bad. There was no mention of a quote or the story being fabricated like the missle pic. And there might have been a legitimate reason to darken it (but not increase the volume).
    How bout the fact that the original picture only had one "missle". He added two more into the picture. Its just amazing.
    How bout the fact that the original picture only had one "missle". He added two more into the picture. Its just amazing.
    Oh I think that one is totally out of line...I was just making an argument on the smoke pic.

While no one wants any trusted journalist doctoring photos, I fail to see any important impact of these two examples.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast