1.    #1  
    While sitting in the waiting room waiting for my wife to come out of her doctor's appointment, I read an article in a NW local business or trade magazine about the impact that the internet has has on MLM, Work From Opportunities, Make $100,000 your first year, etc.... being offered now with an overall negative outlook. I know that over the years I have tried one or two. I have actually made quite a bit of money as well, but always for short periods of time. Actually being success for affiliate market landed me a job as a National Affiliate direct for some VOIP companies in the early days of VOIP in the 1990s and early 2000s.

Believe me I am not looking for anything myself as my current job takes more than enough of my time and pays sufficient for my needs. I was just curious who is doing what right now. I am not looking for a sales pitch. If you want to put a link please try to put a link to the corp site and not to your personal affiliate type site in order to maintain the TOS rules. I am just interested in what type of things people are trying and, objectionably, how they are doing.

As I said the article was mostly negative towards this swelling of opportunities being offered, so if you have a negative experience share it too.

So here's your chance to post with pride your success (again without self promotion), or vent your frustration.
  2.    #2  
    Along with the success I had with Affiliate Marketing that I mentioned above, I actually was quite successful in one MLM company, Pre-Paid Legal Services.

I several thousand people in my organization, was frequently the guest speaker and/or trainer in local and regional events, and made around $2K - $3K a month. But after PPL merge with the Sat People company (what's their former name again?) they realigned the comp plan where I jumped down to only a couple hundred a month with my same organization. I soon "retired" from the business side of the business. That was 5 plus years ago now and it may be better now, I have no idea.

No matter what the business opp side is doing at the moment, the product is awesome. I am still a customer and always will be. It has save me too many times to be without it. There are people that still have 6 year old phone books and they will call and ask for PPL, I just send to the corp website at http://www.prepaidlegal.com/ .
    Are you drunk Hobbes?
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Are you drunk Hobbes?
    Now THAT is why the OT Forum exists. Winner. $5.00 to you daThomas!
  5.    #5  
    I was also burned real bad in the late 1990s as well. We invested $10,000 into a starting our own Pre-Paid phone card business. This was not MLM. This was a real business where we bought minutes from a company and they supplied the cards, marketing materials, etc... They were by contract our supplier.

We were doing great. We had a large number of accounts selling our cards in small to large grocery stores, minute marts, gas stations, kiosks, vending type machines, etc... We were making a very decent income in a relative short period of time because of busting our tails to gain and maintain these accounts.

Then one Monday morning all the stores started calling us and saying customers were returning their cards saying they were not working. I talked with our supplier on the previous Friday afternoon about meeting with them in 4 weeks time and increasing additional opportunities. When I called the receptionist of the office building said there were gone. I asked when will they be back. She said, No, you don't understand they have moved out, skipped town, the office is empty and they still owed them the rent for that month. They were gone and still today I, the police, the AG, etc.. cannot find any reference to the names of the owners! I seriously believe they ran with everything and changed their ID or assumed alias IDs. I know that our $10,000 was drop in the bucket compared to what others had invested. And after I did a full background check on the execs and company before investing!

That one steamed me for quite awhile. More for the fact that some one took me than for the actual loss of money.
    I have to tell you Hobbes, I've tried the MLM route once before and it just wasn't for me. I don't have the energy to "sell" (guess I'm just not a people person--I much prefer to sit cloistered away in my little pod). But I do think there's money in it for the right person.

If anyone knows of any good home based business opportunities that don't require dealing with people I'm all ears.
  7.    #7  
    Are you drunk Hobbes?
    Going after the source again instead of dealing with the content?

It is OT.......just curious what adventures other TC members have had or having right now.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 08/01/2006 at 01:33 AM.
    Are you drunk Hobbes?
    A good bender in the comfort of the living room never hurt anyone.
    Well, OK. A serious answer. My wife is selling clothes from home. She used to be a garmento before the kids came along. Now she picks up samples cheap from her contacts in the garment district and does the clothes equivalent of Tupperware parties. Does OK at it. Also has cut the cost of her wardrobe expenses dramatically. This alone is a Good Thing.

The other stuff you mention? It all seems like it a scheme getting pimped at people who are a bit vulnerable and want to believe in magic.

My thought? If it is such a fabulous business, why aren't the promoters hogging it for themselves? Answer: it ain't such a fabulous business to be selling nutritional supplements, etc. It ain't such a fabulous business to buy real estate for pennies on the dollar.

It is like the people who offer investment opportunities and you'll make 20% a month (or whatever the offer happens to be). Simple math proves that in fairly short order, at those rates of return, you'll own all of the money in the world. The magic of compounding, etc. People don't get it and still drop money with these guys and are SHOCKED when they turn out to be Ponzi operators.

It is like the tax shelter dudes. I'd be asked for comment on these deals as they were pimped (this is technical jargon here, folks. I'm not being rude). You could ignore the technicalities -- that's all just sales hype. Just watch the money. Where did the money go? Answer: to the promoters.

The other thing about the tax shelter dudes. They always were so damn smug about their clever-tude.

Maybe that's the way to approach the MLM/home-based business stuff. Ignore what the business actually is. I don't have the technical skill to figure out if it is good or bad. Just look at the money. The real money, not the promises. Where does the real money go? And are the promoters greasy smug b*st*rds that just rankle you?

I'm not drunk, daThomas.
    I was on the other side of prepaid legal - as a panel attorney. It gave me lots of work, but I had to severely discount my rates if I wanted those cases. It was good for me when I needed more work, but I dropped prepaid legal after I established my own client base.

I think it is an excellent deal for individuals who have an occasional need for simple legal work.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Going after the source again instead of dealing with the content?

It is OT.......just curious what adventures other TC members have had or having right now.
    Actually I think I was projecting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers
    Now THAT is why the OT Forum exists. Winner. $5.00 to you daThomas!
    Hope it's not against the rules to post while drunk.
    Anyone hear the story about the guy who kept trading up free items on craigslist.com until he finally got a house?

I think he started with something simple, such as a large paperclip or similar seemingly worthless item. There is a section on craigslist.com for people giving away their unwanted stuff for free all the time. Here's the link: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/zip/

I can see someone trying to do this as a sideline "business" to make part time money. That's what people do all the time at garage sales and swap meets.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    One of my wife's friends was making $1500/month or so selling antique postcards (go figure) on eBay.
  15.    #15  
    Talking about ebay & craigs list. There is a guy I know that goes to junk yards and buys whole cars, motorcycles, etc... and strips them down do all he useful parts and using ebay, craig's list, and few local part stores, makes anywhere from $3,000 to $5,000 a month depending on how hard he wants to work.
    Talking about ebay & craigs list. There is a guy I know that goes to junk yards and buys whole cars, motorcycles, etc... and strips them down do all he useful parts and using ebay, craig's list, and few local part stores, makes anywhere from $3,000 to $5,000 a month depending on how hard he wants to work.
    Wonder what his front yard looks like?
  17.    #17  
    He actually owns land out in the country with a large shop to store parts on auction, etc... He is surprising very good at getting rid of the extra stuff right away. He will take what he cannot get rid of thru sales, returning to junk yards, sell for scrap metal, ect, to the dump.

If you drove by his house, you would have no idea what he does...especially on the scale he does it.
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    I was on the other side of prepaid legal - as a panel attorney. It gave me lots of work, but I had to severely discount my rates if I wanted those cases. It was good for me when I needed more work, but I dropped prepaid legal after I established my own client base.

I think it is an excellent deal for individuals who have an occasional need for simple legal work.
    This sounds like a great way for a new attorney to supplement his/her income while opening up their own firm?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

He actually owns land out in the country with a large shop to store parts on auction, etc... He is surprising very good at getting rid of the extra stuff right away. He will take what he cannot get rid of thru sales, returning to junk yards, sell for scrap metal, ect, to the dump.

If you drove by his house, you would have no idea what he does...especially on the scale he does it.
    I have a friend who does this on a smaller scale but still clears 2,500 a month.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I'll have to check with my homeowners association on that.