Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Finally, an electric car that's fast and cool.

http://news.com.com/2300-11386_3-609...tag=ne.gall.pg
    Now we need a family car for around $20,000.

Here are some other interesting notes about this car:
    • The Tesla Roadster's transmission does not have a reverse gear. Rather, the motor reverses direction to propel the car backwards.
    • The car is fast and makes little noise. Because it's fully electric, it jumps off the line.
    • If you plug these cars into a regular socket, it might take anywhere from a few hours to all day to charge. So, Tesla will install one of their chargers, which concentrate power, in your home. That way, a recharge will take only two to three hours.

I noticed it never said how far the car can go on a typical full charge.
    Just in time for Ed Begley Jr's mid-life crisis.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I noticed it never said how far the car can go on a typical full charge.
    A cnet article said the company claim it can go 250 miles on a charge, and that the figure will increase.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    later, gasoline....
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Part of driving, in my opinion, is the challenge, the engagement. Knowing when to shift, work the clutch, etc. This is definitely a cool car, but as a "roadster" it's missing something. I haven't driven it (duh), and it still may be a hoot to drive, but if all it offers is "stomp your foot and go fast" I don't know...
    The Tesla Roadster was featured on last week's 60 Minutes. They actually showed it accelerating (from zero to 60 was it?) and it looked fantastic. I also heard the part about 250 miles on a charge and that the current price tag was $100,000. It was developed in Silicon Valley rather than Detroit. I'm not surprised to see it popping up here on TreoCentral and have the feeling we'll be hearing a lot more about this car in the near future. Interesting post.
    If they could shave $40k off the price, you might have a lot of boxter owners looking at it, if they have a geek bent to them. At that range, though, I think the market is extremely limited.
    About the same price and seats 2 like the tango, but cooler-looking. Though it lacks the parking ability of the Tango.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    A cnet article said the company claim it can go 250 miles on a charge, and that the figure will increase.
    I also wonder how long does it keep a charge. For example if I take it to th airport and go on a two week vacation, will I be able to drive home?

But I agree, it is getting closer and closer. As models become more commercial attractive, it will start producing more money for more R&D, which will make more cars that are more commercially attractive, etc....
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    They said there are 30 people that have placed orders, if they took a full deposit
    thats a lot of coin (3 mil) for a start up
  12. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Kinda reminds me a bit of the Noble M15, with a little of Noble's other models mixed in.