Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1.    #61  
    I agree, America does have a higher standard - we don't torture.

Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    It seems you continually offer direct comparisons between the terrorists and ourselves, i find it revolting.

My America has a higher standard.

Most of us feel the statment that "our torture is not as bad as "their" torture" is no justification for the behavior of this administration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    I agree, America does have a higher standard - we don't torture.
    Right, I remember. Stern "talking to".
  3.    #63  
    Felt like you needed a reminder as you have repeatedly stated that America is torturing. They aren't, but the terrorists are. Should they be accountable? America is.

Right, I remember. Stern "talking to".
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    I would never kill women and children for any person or God, and would never worship a God that would allow such things
    Sprint 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by JayL
    I would never kill women and children for any person or God, and would never worship a God that would allow such things
    Ever flip through the Bible?
  6.    #66  
    Ever flip through the Bible?
    But the Muslim terrorists are acting their twisted actions from twisted interpretations. Why do we have to keep reminding you and others that the terrorists started it and are murdering people?
    It seems you continually offer direct comparisons between the terrorists and ourselves, i find it revolting.
    My post was not initiating the comparison. As always when I do, it is in a response about someone who already has giving a comparison directly or indirectly, and is usually by criticizing what the US has done while giving the terrorists a get out of jail free card or at least holding them to a different and often times lower standard. I was not waving We are Better Than You while thumbing my nose flag, but responding to the already made comparisons on the other side of the coin.

A perfect example of this train of thought was just after the soldiers I mentioned in my post above were truly tortured. I listened to an interview on a talk show on one of the 3 cable news networks. The guest was the head of an some international anti-torture group. They clobbered the US over Abu and Guantanamo but never said anything, not a single word, about the the meticulous and savage torture of the US soldiers by the terrorists in Iraq. When asked about this apparent discrepancy, they responded that they were perfectly in line with their statements and non statements......The US claims to have a higher standard so we hold them to it.....The terrorists do not claim to have that same higher standard so their is no contradiction with their standards.

There were three main points I made that apparently revolted you are:

1) The US is not an innocent. We have done our share of awful deeds. But at least we try to keep a high standard. We hold trials to try to hold those accountable. I have yet to see Palenstine hold trials agains Hamas. Iran hold trials again AQ, etc... Saudi has held trials, but IMHO they were more to appease the US than in any real effort to hold those accountable.

2) All I have been saying is hold both to the same standard. If playing loud music, humiliating actions, using a women to ask questions, and holding the Koran in the left hand is inhumane are worthy of the upmost criticizing of the US, then poking someone's eyes out and methodically mutilating a soldier should receive a worse cry.

3) Our society as a whole does not support tactics the including purposely and intentionally targeting civilians or using civilians as human shields. And the terrorist do. Again hold both to the same standard when criticizing one or the other.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 08/04/2006 at 12:51 PM.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234