Top Time-Wasting Activities (%)
    1 Surfing Internet (personal use) 52.0%
    2 Socializing with co-workers 26.3%
    3 Running errands off-premises 7.6%
    4 Spacing out 6.6%
    5 Making personal phone calls 3.9%
    6 Arriving late / Leaving early 2.9%
    7 Applying for other jobs .7%

Any surprise about #1 above? How many folks are at work right now?

This is from http://aol.salary.com/careersandwork...ce.asp?atc=573
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
    Quote Originally Posted by southbound747
    Top Time-Wasting Activities (%)
    1 Surfing Internet (personal use) 52.0%
    2 Socializing with co-workers 26.3%
    3 Running errands off-premises 7.6%
    4 Spacing out 6.6%
    5 Making personal phone calls 3.9%
    6 Arriving late / Leaving early 2.9%
    7 Applying for other jobs .7%

Any surprise about #1 above? How many folks are at work right now?

This is from http://aol.salary.com/careersandwork...ce.asp?atc=573
    I spend less time on the internet at work than I do working at home!
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Heck, I am on the road a lot, so I just take the sights in as I pass them. The ocean, the mountains, the beaches and the oceans and the girls, the traffic, the food. Ben
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    Heck, I am on the road a lot, so I just take the sights in as I pass them. The ocean, the mountains, the beaches and the oceans and the girls, the traffic, the food. Ben
    I want your job.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    I spend less time on the internet at work than I do working at home!
    So it all evens out then for you (I guess unfortunately for you if you do so much work at home, unless you are the boss and get the beneifts of your labor). It's a tough issue though today in corporate America because things aren't like they were 30 years ago when you could still start with a company, work your way up, and retire on a decent pension like my grandfather did. My father, on the other hand, got laid off in the late 80s when Jack Welch bought NBC. He was just shy of getting a full pension. Things started changing then in the 80s. Now,there doesn't really seem to be much loyalty on either side of the corpoate fence anymore (management or workers). Now seems everybody is looking out for himself. No wonder people surf the net at their jobs so much.
    Not a bad job. Out here one can enjoy the joy of food all the time. Food is everywhere. On a beautiful day, which is the norm here, the beach and the sights are just wonderful. I drive by the beaches, stopping would probably cause my eye sight to go......pounding heart......all those things......

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by southbound747
    I want your job.
    Loyalty is gone, sadly. It was in the late 70's and early 80's when companies starting axing people 3 months before they were due for their pension. That happened to a close friend and it devasted their family.

Even today, when people talk up loyalty, they end of screwing people who buy into the dream. I worked like mad, bringing in big revenue, at a company that was "different" and "valued integrity. Well, when the payday came, the CEO re-wrote the rules and screwed everyone except the upper eschelon, cheating me out of a $4M payday that would've secured my family's future.

After that, I vowed never to believe in anything but cold, hard cash. I left a few months later.

(I was one of the early departures...the people who stayed go reamed more, and now hardly anyone is left).

I landed (stumbled) on my feet, although the next few companies basically did the same thing...execs cash out, revenue earners get shafted. However, now, I don't give any more than is needed. They get my eight hours of solid work, and I keep my nights and weekends and cash the paycheck. If a better gig comes along, I am there.

Cynical, maybe, but alas they way execs have done it.

I am a big capitalism kind of guy, but today, no custodial CEO (non-founder) deserves anything more that $500K a year, at the most (given all the extra perks they get). Mosy large companies run themselves these days, or are run by middle mgmt (gasp.)
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Loyalty is gone, sadly. It was in the late 70's and early 80's when companies starting axing people 3 months before they were due for their pension. That happened to a close friend and it devasted their family.

Even today, when people talk up loyalty, they end of screwing people who buy into the dream. I worked like mad, bringing in big revenue, at a company that was "different" and "valued integrity. Well, when the payday came, the CEO re-wrote the rules and screwed everyone except the upper eschelon, cheating me out of a $4M payday that would've secured my family's future.

After that, I vowed never to believe in anything but cold, hard cash. I left a few months later.

(I was one of the early departures...the people who stayed go reamed more, and now hardly anyone is left).

I landed (stumbled) on my feet, although the next few companies basically did the same thing...execs cash out, revenue earners get shafted. However, now, I don't give any more than is needed. They get my eight hours of solid work, and I keep my nights and weekends and cash the paycheck. If a better gig comes along, I am there.

Cynical, maybe, but alas they way execs have done it.

I am a big capitalism kind of guy, but today, no custodial CEO (non-founder) deserves anything more that $500K a year, at the most (given all the extra perks they get). Mosy large companies run themselves these days, or are run by middle mgmt (gasp.)
    Executive compensation is really high in US compared to Both Europe and particularly Japan. In theory it is tied to shareholder value and if they are bringing in the big bucks it is because they are increasing the value of the stock...in theory. But I think shareholders are just one side of the coin. Workers got lost lost somewhere along the way. What good does it to do for American workers if the company is doing well but they have either outsourced or off shored all the jobs to the point that it is "American" in name only? Nike and almost all athletic shoes manufacturers farm out their production to China these days.It is a trend that is spreading across all industries. Most of our treo accessories are even made there (my treo itself was made in Taiwan). My ipod was made in China. I wonder how soon it will be before we all wake up and realize we don't make anything in the US anymore. I wonder what jobs pople will have here. I have a 17 year old son. I wonder what his world will look like.

I just got back from Beijing. I was there about 3 weeks. the typical urban worker there makes about $3,000 USD a year and works at least 6 days (often 7) and works from 12 to 15 hours. I was shocked. Is that how we want to live? It seems like we are converging to some sort of middle ground. Their standard of living is rising a bit while most workers in America see theirs dropping a lot. If you have assests in this country you are doing ok. If you own a home and stocks that you can hold long term, you are ok. If not, you are ever more screwed. Home values are soaring beyond the reach of most workers who don't already own something. It will be much harder for the next generation unless daddy can give them money. The cost of college is far outstrippinig inflation. If the trends of rising real estate values and the cost of college continue as they have, soon in 20 years there will be no middle class here. And that is scarey. China and the US may look a lot more alike then. They will be doing a bit better than now and we will be doing a whole lot worse off than now. The American dream was the idea that any kid who worked hard could go to college and then one day buy his own home. That is fast slipping away. We are becoming more of two tiered society of rich and poor. That isn't good for anyone. I firmly believe that it was the opportunities that the middle class had in this country that made America great.