View Poll Results: What montly fee would you pay for unmetered two way messaing?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • $15/month

9 81.82%
  • $20/month

2 18.18%
  • $30/month

0 0%
  • $40/month

0 0%
  • $50+/month

0 0%
  1.    #1  
    I was just going over this in my mind. A few people have probably seen the new AOL Mobile Communicator (yes the hardware isn't anything new I know--but this is the first time its been connected to the AOL IM network) commerical on TV. How cool is that? I use AOL IM for my instant messaging needs (hey I have friends on AOL, what choice do I have?)and having one of this things would be extremely nifty. There are other two way messaging devices such as the popularized Motorola 2 way pager also. However, the service fees are pretty high and the billing is meter based. So here is my question for you guys. At what price would the service have to be at (assuming the device is under $75), for monthly unlimited messaing through the AOL MC type device? Personally I'd say under $15 a month would be my breakthrough point, but I'm a cheap ******* normally .
    -Vincent
    I personally wouldn't even pay $15. I don't see a great advantage in havign a stand alone device. People who I know on the internet I don't need to be in constant covnersations with and people I know from real life I'd just use a phone.

I see things like SMS being the choice for messaging, as its not the phone's only function.
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
    I already pay for enough "premium" services, DSL, cell phone and local phone service thru Verizon (at this point they should give it to me for free)

-Eric
    "One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’." -- Douglas Adams
    with all the rates oging on, I jsut want a $100 a month fee that my parents pay for DSL, Cell, Omnisky, and SMS. and telephone bills. one fee, one rate. Easy! no 5 differnt service plan crap..
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Originally posted by miradu2000
    with all the rates oging on, I jsut want a $100 a month fee that my parents pay for DSL, Cell, Omnisky, and SMS. and telephone bills. one fee, one rate. Easy! no 5 differnt service plan crap..
    Tell me about it! So many things in life today are becomming re-occuring costs. Each month I have to pay for: Cable TV, Internet Access, Cell Phone, ISP for cell phone, TiVo, and local phone (Including 2nd line!).

Not to mention Microsoft wants to shove that new OS on us + the chance of that subscription based Napster! By the time I'm 50, if nothng improves, I think everything will have a subscription fee...
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
    Originally posted by Matthew Nichols

Not to mention Microsoft wants to shove that new OS on us + the chance of that subscription based Napster! By the time I'm 50, if nothing improves, I think everything will have a subscription fee...
    In case you don't follow the Register (http://www.theregister.co.uk/index.html) The next MS Windows OS (WinXP) will be HIGHLY pay-per-view, from applications (i.e. .NET) to playing of media files (music, video, games, etc..) , yes Win XP is a pay per view OS.. wired from the ground up with license management and content control right from the hard disk/network card to the speakers, all nicely protected from unauthorized duplication, and by all accounts, it will block non-licensed digital media files (i.e. mp3's).. Better get your credit card warmed up, it's going to be an expensive digital future... Oh and don't loose your "digital" keys, you'll only have a few times to move them about.

Got a Apple Mac, think you can ignore it, think again.. With .NET and Windows Media Player on the Mac, you'll be sucked into the incensing vortex too.. I don't see Apple likely to not want to provide the same rich amount of "content controlled" media to their users that Windows users will have access to, to join this game, Apple will have to add content control to their OS as well..

Welcome to the "content controlled" digital future, the free ride is over.. Oh yeah, by the way, you can't press the record, pause, fast forward or rewind button, as my DVD player like to say during the FBI warnings "THAT FUNCTION IS NOT PERMITTED AT THIS TIME"..
    "One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’." -- Douglas Adams
    Originally posted by Vinny
    I was just going over this in my mind. A few people have probably seen the new AOL Mobile Communicator (yes the hardware isn't anything new I know--but this is the first time its been connected to the AOL IM network) commerical on TV. How cool is that? I use AOL IM for my instant messaging needs (hey I have friends on AOL, what choice do I have?)and having one of this things would be extremely nifty.
    Just FYI.

MSNBC Technology: A Blackberry in AOL clothing

=Dave=
    I do NOT look wierd! I just look ... "different".
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for the link. I knew I had seen this thing before! However, that page is really just a testament to crappy AOL customer support. I would love to get my hands on an actual review of the device.
    -Vincent