Page 31 of 47 FirstFirst ... 21262728293031323334353641 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 620 of 923
  1. #601  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Really. The guy was just sick.

    The solution to the issue is justice. If you can understand or accept the injustices, you can begin to work on them. To view the situation through a lens of religious factions fighting each other ONLY because they are different religious factions is simplistic and wrong.
    Wanted an answer from you how you would handle the current situation militarily (or non-militarily) and politically.
  2. TomUps's Avatar
    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    #602  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    It was in regards to his repeated comments of the need of a country for a religious group as the rest of the world is not safe for people of that religious faith. The Seattle incident happened after that discussion had begun and he held it up as an example. I stated why it was not such and he continued to insist so I suggested he beware Mel Gibson as well.

    Smart-aleck? Yes, I said I was being snarky.
    I said Israel was needed because jews are persecuted and are violent targets all over the world including here in the U.S. Obviously to you its a big joke, but your not jewish. Just a few days later, a perfect example was in the news. Whether it be a crazy man or not, jewish people were shot at in Seattle because they were jewish, one was killed. Two days ago, one of Hollywoods biggest actors revealed himself for what he truly is, an anti-semite (ofcourse Mel has since apologized, but now we know what people have long suspected is true). Im sure to you DaT, these are just isolated incidents, but in reality there are everyday occurences like these in this country and around the world that never make the newspapers. It seems hard for you to accept.
  3. #603  
    This is the core of the problem. In 1948 the UN voted to do just that with the partition plan. The Arab world refused and went to war, 6 countries against what was then a fledgling country. They lost and then lost again, and now they claim to be victims. Also, a big part of this issue is that they claim that all of Israel is "Islamic" land and therefore there is no compromise, according to many of them, Israel should not exist.

    I shudder to think what would have happened had Israel ever lost a war outright.



    Quote Originally Posted by NRG

    But really they should just divide Isreal in half along w/ Jerusalem, just like Berlin/Germany. Give the southren half to the Palestians, and the northren half to the UN's creation of Isreal.
  4. #604  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    ...To view the situation through a lens of religious factions fighting each other ONLY because they are different religious factions is simplistic and wrong.
    You might have meant for this comment to cover a different issue, but I'll pick my own "vibes" from it because it is an interesting observation.
    One would assume that the entire Israeli-Arab-Palestinian-Hezbollah conflict is religion-based and land (territories)-based. Surly religion and land play a tremendous part in this ongoing conflict, but I'd argue that acceptance is the key to it. The Arab world at large must recognize (accept) Israel's right to exist as well as Israel must recognize the rights of a Palestinian state by it. If the acceptance of the two entities won't take place any solution to the conflict is doomed from the start.
    Hezbollah not only refuses to accept Israel's right to exist, it has declared a Jihad war against it to the bitter end. Unlike Hezbollah, many Palestinians and most Israelis recognize each other's right to exist.
    When Israel is faced with a no-win situation (Hezbollah) what other avenues can it take (a UN resolution does exist and many political efforts came-and-gone)? And when Hezbollah takes the country of Lebanon hostage -- many civilians are killed. It's a terrible tragedy!
  5. #605  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomUps
    I said Israel was needed because jews are persecuted and are violent targets all over the world including here in the U.S. Obviously to you its a big joke, but your not jewish. Just a few days later, a perfect example was in the news. Whether it be a crazy man or not, jewish people were shot at in Seattle because they were jewish, one was killed. Two days ago, one of Hollywoods biggest actors revealed himself for what he truly is, an anti-semite (ofcourse Mel has since apologized, but now we know what people have long suspected is true). Im sure to you DaT, these are just isolated incidents, but in reality there are everyday occurences like these in this country and around the world that never make the newspapers. It seems hard for you to accept.
    I accept bigotry towards all religions equally, and particularly agnostics.
  6. #606  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    I accept bigotry towards all religions equally, and particularly agnostics.
    You accept it or protest it?
  7. #607  
    Quote Originally Posted by impish
    You accept it or protest it?
    Again I'm being snarky. "All religions equally"
  8. #608  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomUps
    I said Israel was needed because jews are persecuted and are violent targets all over the world including here in the U.S. Obviously to you its a big joke, but your not jewish. Just a few days later, a perfect example was in the news. Whether it be a crazy man or not, jewish people were shot at in Seattle because they were jewish, one was killed. Two days ago, one of Hollywoods biggest actors revealed himself for what he truly is, an anti-semite (ofcourse Mel has since apologized, but now we know what people have long suspected is true). Im sure to you DaT, these are just isolated incidents, but in reality there are everyday occurences like these in this country and around the world that never make the newspapers. It seems hard for you to accept.
    Hey! I warned you about Mel!
  9. TomUps's Avatar
    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    #609  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Hey! I warned you about Mel!
    yep.....
  10. #610  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomUps
    yep.....
    Did you hear he is working on a tv mini-series on the Holocaust?
  11. TomUps's Avatar
    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    #611  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Did you hear he is working on a tv mini-series on the Holocaust?
    You mean, he was working on one....I cant see any studio letting him continue on this project now. Especially with his father being a well known holocaust denier.
  12.    #612  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomUps
    You mean, he was working on one....I cant see any studio letting him continue on this project now. Especially with his father being a well known holocaust denier.
    I don't think what his father believes is necessarily an issue. I never did. I know for a fact that people can have extremely different views than their parents. But it appears, and I reiterate "appears", now that his views don't differ all that much. Regardless of whether he "meant" what he said or not, he's not going to be doing much work for the Shoah Foundation anytime soon.

    Its a shame.
  13. TomUps's Avatar
    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    #613  
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    I don't think what his father believes is necessarily an issue. I never did. I know for a fact that people can have extremely different views than their parents. But it appears, and I reiterate "appears", now that his views don't differ all that much. Regardless of whether he "meant" what he said or not, he's not going to be doing much work for the Shoah Foundation anytime soon.

    Its a shame.
    True, but he has been asked many many times about his fathers views, and he has never once distanced himself from them, or condemned them in any way. I think its pretty apparent why now.

    Also, how would it look if the son of a holocaust denier, who clearly has anti-semitic views created a tv show about the holocaust?

    Now with all that being said, Braveheart is still a great movie.
  14. #614  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomUps
    You mean, he was working on one....I cant see any studio letting him continue on this project now. Especially with his father being a well known holocaust denier.
    He is his Father's son.

    Ironically, it seems he was doing the project to make up for anti-semitic accusations over the jeebus beating snuff film.

    edited to add; yes Braveheart is a good movie. Sigh, I hate it when I learn about artists whose art I like and their reality I don't like.
  15. #615  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Sigh, I hate it when I learn about artists whose art I like and their reality I don't like.
    I listen to Wagner.
  16. #616  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    edited to add; yes Braveheart is a good movie. Sigh, I hate it when I learn about artists whose art I like and their reality I don't like.
    I FULLY agree with multiple examples in Hollywood, on TV, and in Music.
  17. #617  
    Quote Originally Posted by impish
    I listen to Wagner.
    Now THAT is irony!
  18.    #618  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Ironically, it seems he was doing the project to make up for anti-semitic accusations over the jeebus beating snuff film.
  19. #619  
    An old yiddish saying is quite applicable here: Meshugener zol men oyshraybn, un im araynshraybn.
  20.    #620  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    An old yiddish saying is quite applicable here: Meshugener zol men oyshraybn, un im araynshraybn.
    For drunk driving maybe. But this is still America after all. Everyone's got a right to his opinion.

Posting Permissions