Page 25 of 47 FirstFirst ... 15202122232425262728293035 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    No, you've been trying very hard to do so. As evidenced by your obscure out of context quotes you keep trying to find.
    Not sure what your complaining about. These were your own words in the "Israel" thread. If your accusing me of posting "obscure out of context quotes", I invite people to check it out on their own.

I not looking to confront you on what you said, but I think it shows that you have a certain view of Israel that will also be an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomUps
    Not sure what your complaining about. These were your own words in the "Israel" thread. If your accusing me of posting "obscure out of context quotes", I invite people to check it out on their own.

I not looking to confront you on what you said, but I think it shows that you have a certain view of Israel that will also be an issue.
    Yes, I do. And I posted an op/ed piece which very clearly matches my view of Israel. That's what I stated.

Why don't you spell out what you mean by a "certain view of Israel that will also be an Issue"?
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Yes, I do. And I posted an op/ed piece which very clearly matches my view of Israel. That's what I stated.

Why don't you spell out what you mean by a "certain view of Israel that will also be an Issue"?
    Well, I thought I already did, but instead of using my words, I will use yours....

. I don't really hate Israelis. I do however have a great distaste for current policy and the overall meess the whole thing created. But it does show you what one can accomplish with a little terrorist bombing.
    Well, israelis are responsible for their gov't policy in a democracy no?

I have no appreciation for any blanket generalization hate. But are we talking about Israelis or Jewish people?

I have brought this up before and and I really dont want to continue with this. You have your views and are entitled to them. However, again, I think its somewhat good to know a persons views when trying to understand why they post certain things.
    That's not what the op/ed author is referring to as part of the mistake.
    This was *my* disagreement with the op-ed article.

Here's the first paragraph (in bold letters the specific reference to my previous post): "The greatest mistake Israel could make at the moment is to forget that Israel itself is a mistake. It is an honest mistake, a well-intentioned mistake, a mistake for which no one is culpable, but the idea of creating a nation of European Jews in an area of Arab Muslims (and some Christians) has produced a century of warfare and terrorism of the sort we are seeing now. Israel fights Hezbollah in the north and Hamas in the south, but its most formidable enemy is history itself."

I mentioned that the "mistake" slogan is an opinion depending on your political point of view. If you are an indigenous person you might view the creation of the US as a mistake. Surly many Russians believe that creating Chechnya will be a mistake, and so on.
    Perhaps the most disappointing issue in Mr. Cohen's article is the lack of paying-homage to the reasons countries are been created, regardless if he thinks they were created by proxy or fulse.
    Regardless, I think the op-ed article, despite using the term "mistake," recognizes Israel's rights.
    Last edited by impish; 07/25/2006 at 04:31 PM.
    Well, I thought I already did, but instead of using my words, I will use yours....
    Why not use your own words. You're expending a lot of energy with your innuendoes so please do state in your own words what you feel my "views" are.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    DaT,
    I'm not getting into this again, as I do not think defending Israels right to exist has anything to do with this thread
    DaT,
    I'm not getting into this again, as I do not think defending Israels right to exist has anything to do with this thread
    I'm not sure why you would need to. I haven't seen anyone in this thread question Israel's right to exist.
    Can someone explain this decision to me?? Why would Israel attack the United Nations Interim Force In Lebanon??

Israeli bomb kills UN observers
    Israeli strike in Khiam, south Lebanon

Four United Nations peacekeepers have been killed in an Israeli air strike on an observation post in southern Lebanon, the UN has said.

A bomb struck the post occupied by the peacekeepers of the Unifil force in the Khiam area, it said.

UN Secretary General Kofi Annan said he was "shocked" at the "apparently deliberate targeting" of the post.

The attack came as Israel said it would control an area in southern Lebanon until international forces deployed.

The force will be discussed at crisis talks to be held in Rome on Wednesday.

US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice will be at the talks after ending her tour of the Middle East on Tuesday.

More than 380 Lebanese and 42 Israelis have died in nearly two weeks of conflict in Lebanon, which began after Hezbollah captured two Israeli soldiers in a cross-border raid on 12 July.

Protest

The UN in Lebanon says the Israeli air force destroyed the observer post, in which four military observers were sheltering.

It said the four, from Austria, Canada, China and Finland, had taken shelter in a bunker under the post after it was earlier shelled 14 times by Israeli artillery.

A rescue team was also shelled as it tried to clear the rubble.

"I am shocked and deeply distressed by the apparently deliberate targeting by Israeli Defence Forces of a UN Observer post in southern Lebanon," Mr Annan said in a statement from Rome.

Unifil has been operational in the border area since 1978 and is currently 2,000 strong.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Can someone explain this decision to me?? Why would Israel attack the United Nations Interim Force In Lebanon??
    I'll wait to see Israels response, but Im curious why the UN thinks it was deliberate. However, war is a dirty thing, mistakes are made when your fighting an enemy that operates out of civilian areas.

Can someone explain the Hezbollah decision of firing a rocket into Israel today that killed an Israeli girl? Maybe you can explain it DaT?

Can someone explain the decision to me of Hezbollah invading Israel almost 2 weeks ago that started this whole war that has cost many lives on both sides? Maybe you can explain it DaT?
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I'm not sure why you would need to. I haven't seen anyone in this thread question Israel's right to exist.
    Hmmm, posting an article thats says "Israel was a mistake" is probably a good indication of what Im talking about. My point of posting your quotes was to show what your feeling about Israel was before Hezbollah started this war (in your own words, no obscure quotes, nothing taken out of context), and why you come down against Israels decision to defend themselves against Hezbollah now. Its in line with your past Israel comments.
  11.    #491  
    Why is everyone so anxious to say this was deliberate?
    "Hmmm, posting an article thats says "Israel was a mistake" is probably a good indication of what Im talking about." Ok. I see now. You didn't read the article.
    "Why is everyone so anxious to say this was deliberate? "

They shelled the position all day then bombed the bunker. And I'm fairly certain their intelligence would know where the UN forces are.
    "Israel said on Wednesday it regrets the 'tragic' deaths of the four and will thoroughly investigate the causes that led to the unintentional strike that killed them.

"Israel sincerely regrets the tragic death of the U.N. personnel in south Lebanon," said Foreign Ministry spokesman Mark Regev." - (link)

daThomas, if indeed this was a deliberate attack, there's no excuse for it and, as the article points out, Israel has apologized and will investigate. May I remind you that both in Afghanistan (link ) and Iraq, American troops have targeted civilians and later apologized.

On a different subject if I may. I haven't read this entire thread so could you briefly, daThomas, explain how you feel about the Hezbollah. Do you see them as what?
    Last edited by impish; 07/25/2006 at 07:41 PM.
  15.    #495  
    "Why is everyone so anxious to say this was deliberate? "

They shelled the position all day then bombed the bunker. And I'm fairly certain their intelligence would know where the UN forces are.
    You would think. But Israel must know that something like this would strengthen the already strong international opinion against them. That tells me that this probably wasn't done on purpose.
  16.    #496  
    Quote Originally Posted by impish
    "Israel said on Wednesday it regrets the 'tragic' deaths of the four and will thoroughly investigate the causes that led to the unintentional strike that killed them.

"Israel sincerely regrets the tragic death of the U.N. personnel in south Lebanon," said Foreign Ministry spokesman Mark Regev." - (link)

daThomas, if indeed this was a deliberate attack, there's no excuse for it and, as the article points out, Israel has apologized and will investigate. May I remind you that both in Afghanistan and Iraq, American troops have targeted civilians and later apologized.

On a different subject if I may. I haven't read this entire thread so could briefly, daThomas, explain how you feel about the Hezbollah. Do you see them as what?
    daT has his opinion, as most people do. But I think its really inappropriate for Kofi et al to pre-judge the situation the way they did.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    daT has his opinion, as most people do. But I think its really inappropriate for Kofi et al to pre-judge the situation the way they did.
    For the sake of this thread I am more interested in daThomas' opinion than that of Mr. Annan, given that the UN, in my own unofficial poll, is right 50% of the times...
  18.    #498  
    For the sake of this thread I am more interested in daThomas' opinion than that of Mr. Annan, given that the UN, in my own unofficial poll, is right 50% of the times...
    50%? Wow, you're generous!
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    50%? Wow, you're generous!
    Like I said: "unofficial." There's a 50% margin-of-error...
    May I remind you that both in Afghanistan (link ) and Iraq, American troops have targeted civilians and later apologized.
    Must I state the obvious that 2 wrongs don't make a right. You have used this same type of arguement repeatedly in your posts and I beg you to stop.

On a different subject if I may. I haven't read this entire thread so could you briefly, daThomas, explain how you feel about the Hezbollah. Do you see them as what?
    I have no love for hezbollah, they were supposedly elected so should be dealt with politically after a cease fire.