Page 11 of 47 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 923
  1.    #201  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Lebanon, did not enforce. I think there are 2000 UN Soldiers there now and have been since the passage of that resolution. My point being is Lebanon probably can't do anything about Hezbollah and such, which is why the UN is there. I feel the number should be beefed up to 10,000.
    I think you're right that Lebanon is probably powerless to enforce anything--especially when Hizbollah is now politically part of Lebanon. (kind of like the Republican Party having its own military force -- scared yet? ) Which begs the question, where's the world pressure on Syria and Iran as being "imperialist aggressors"?
  2. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #202  
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    I think you're right that Lebanon is probably powerless to enforce anything--especially when Hizbollah is now politically part of Lebanon. (kind of like the Republican Party having its own military force -- scared yet? ) Which begs the question, where's the world pressure on Syria and Iran as being "imperialist aggressors"?
    My point would to be to call a cease fire. If that does not happen on both sides, a UN force should be sent in to secure spots in southern Lebanon. Not to just let this escalate.
  3.    #203  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    My point would to be to call a cease fire. If that does not happen on both sides, a UN force should be sent in to secure spots in southern Lebanon. Not to just let this escalate.
    Does that cease fire include Hizbollah pulling out of Israel and returning the kidnapped soldiers?
  4. #204  
    I don't think it would. This is a terrorist organization, not a country. There is no frontline, no boundaries and no ties to the UN. Someone has to be responsible and it's Lebanon. They knew they were sitting on a timebomb having those murderers living in the southern part of their country.

    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    Does that cease fire include Hizbollah pulling out of Israel and returning the kidnapped soldiers?
  5.    #205  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    I don't think it would. This is a terrorist organization, not a country. There is no frontline, no boundaries and no ties to the UN. Someone has to be responsible and it's Lebanon. They knew they were sitting on a timebomb having those murderers living in the southern part of their country.
    I don't think Lebanon can avoid some responsibility. At the same time, if world bodies are to get involved they can't ignore the fact that Syria and Iran need to own up to their involvement.
  6. #206  
    This is where the can of worms lie. China supplies Iran with missiles and missile technology. Russia supplies Iran with nuclear knowledge and construction support. Iran supplies Syria with arms. Syria supplies Hizbollah these arms. Will China and Russia support any action against Iran? If not, what will they do when US and others go after Iran and Syria?

    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    I don't think Lebanon can avoid some responsibility. At the same time, if world bodies are to get involved they can't ignore the fact that Syria and Iran need to own up to their involvement.
  7. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #207  
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    Does that cease fire include Hizbollah pulling out of Israel and returning the kidnapped soldiers?
    I would not include the kidnapped soldiers. That would have to be something worked out after the cease fire. Something to get forgeiners (i.e. US expats, and so forth) out. Then handle these things w/ a pen instead of a bomb.
  8. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #208  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    This is where the can of worms lie. China supplies Iran with missiles and missile technology. Russia supplies Iran with nuclear knowledge and construction support. Iran supplies Syria with arms. Syria supplies Hizbollah these arms. Will China and Russia support any action against Iran? If not, what will they do when US and others go after Iran and Syria?
    This is a UN matter, not a United States one.
  9. #209  
    Not if Iran attacks Israel.

    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    This is a UN matter, not a United States one.
  10. TomUps's Avatar
    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    #210  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    I would not include the kidnapped soldiers. That would have to be something worked out after the cease fire. Something to get forgeiners (i.e. US expats, and so forth) out. Then handle these things w/ a pen instead of a bomb.
    good thing your not in charge then. Can you imagine if the US was attacked and our soldiers were taken? Do you think the overwhelming outcry would be to cease fire without getting our soldiers back...I dont think so.
  11. TomUps's Avatar
    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    #211  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    This is where the can of worms lie. China supplies Iran with missiles and missile technology. Russia supplies Iran with nuclear knowledge and construction support. Iran supplies Syria with arms. Syria supplies Hizbollah these arms. Will China and Russia support any action against Iran? If not, what will they do when US and others go after Iran and Syria?
    I think its a little different than supplying arms and money to a country, then supplying arms and money to a terrorist organization (which is exactly what hezbollah is).
  12.    #212  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    I would not include the kidnapped soldiers. That would have to be something worked out after the cease fire. Something to get forgeiners (i.e. US expats, and so forth) out. Then handle these things w/ a pen instead of a bomb.
    I know this has been discussed before, but given that Hizbollah is founded on Khomeini's brand of Shia Islam which calls for the destruction of Israel and the establishment of an Islamic republic, does it seem likely that they would rather use a pen instead of a bomb? They may use a pen in the sort term, but that would only be to settle a battle in the larger war.
  13. #213  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomUps
    Ding Ding Ding, We have the most incredible post of the day already.
    First of all, if you look at the population percentages of the two countries, there has been a higher percentage of Israelis killed than Lebanese.
    This doesn't make any sense. The population of Israel is twice that of the Lebanon.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
  14. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #214  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    This is a UN matter, not a United States one.
    In other words, do nothing.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  15. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #215  
    There is no negotiation with Hezbollah. Israel is finally doing just what they should have done long ago. No more talk. No more 'buffer zones'. There's nothing to sit down and talk about. Finish the job.

    I'm just waiting for enough people to realize that this is in effect a war with Syria and Iran. People, we either have to deal with them no, or later. Perhaps its time.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  16. #216  
    Here some facts some of you seem to miss:

    - Lebanon does not have an authority which controls the whole country. It is not a state like the US, Cuba, or Mexico.

    - Asking Lebanon to clean up Hezbollah makes about as much sense as asking the Iraqi government to clean up the insurgents in Iraq (or asking the US to do it... both can't). Should Jordan have bombed Bagdad after Al Qaida in Iraq blew up Jordanians?

    Does ANYBODY believe "Lebanon" can control Hezbollah better after all the infrastructure all over Lebanon has been destroyed? Will there will be more support for controlling the terrorists, or just more hatred against Israel, even among Christians?

    I don't see how the bombardment of the Lebanon is weakening Hezbollah. I haven't heard of any Hezbollah terrorists being killed in the bombardment...
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
  17. #217  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael
    There is no negotiation with Hezbollah. Israel is finally doing just what they should have done long ago. No more talk. No more 'buffer zones'. There's nothing to sit down and talk about. Finish the job.
    How? The Hezbollah terrorists will just leave the neighborhood and start over once the bombs have stopped falling.
    I'm just waiting for enough people to realize that this is in effect a war with Syria and Iran. People, we either have to deal with them no, or later. Perhaps its time.
    Deal with them? How? You can't handle Iraq, how would you "deal with" Syria and Iran?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
  18. #218  
    Most of the shortcomings in USA performance in this whole thing can appropriately be attributed to our political climate due to the media and certain supporters. If not stopped, it will be our downfall. Imagine what happens next. Get with it. Think for yourselves!
  19. #219  
    "Asking Lebanon to clean up Hezbollah makes about as much sense as asking the Iraqi government to clean up the insurgents in Iraq (or asking the US to do it... both can't)."

    This is a great point, but only if you assume that Lebanon reallly wants to stop Hezbollah. I would like to see the Lebaneese government go on record with a list of all the things they are actively doing to get gid of hezbollah. My personal belief is that they are saying one thing and doing another (much like what most of the middle east problem contries do).

    I will be keeping this in mind as I watch and read the news.
  20.    #220  
    Quote Originally Posted by aairman23
    "Asking Lebanon to clean up Hezbollah makes about as much sense as asking the Iraqi government to clean up the insurgents in Iraq (or asking the US to do it... both can't)."

    This is a great point, but only if you assume that Lebanon reallly wants to stop Hezbollah. I would like to see the Lebaneese government go on record with a list of all the things they are actively doing to get gid of hezbollah. My personal belief is that they are saying one thing and doing another (much like what most of the middle east problem contries do).

    I will be keeping this in mind as I watch and read the news.
    The problem is that now that Hizbollah is a political party sharing power, they are the government. The 70% of Lebanese people who are not Shi'ites probably do want to stop Hizbollah... especially the ones whose border towns have been co-opted by them.

Posting Permissions