Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920
    chirp chirp crickets
    Quote Originally Posted by bheuss
    4. What other parades are based on behavior? Memorial Day parades (behavior in war) and folks dress up in uniforms for those. Mother's Day parades (behavior in being a mother) and folks dress up for those. St. Patrick's Day (people get stinking drunk) and march around in green anything. Pet parades where people show off how well their pets behave. Pride parades actually mean something to the community. And that meaning isn't necessarily finding acceptance from the straight community. In fact, it really isn't about the straight community at all. So please stay home if you're offended.
    I'm okay with most of what you've said except for this. And it may seem like a trivial point but since it was a response to something I said, I'll respond. First, my question wasn't what parades are based on behavior but what other groups have international parades wherein this type of behavior is prevalent? Second, like it or not, the Pride parades are what the outside world sees of this community--many of whom don't have much or any experience in their personal lives with the gay community. What do you expect them to think? When people have parades they bring out what they're proud of: soldiers, mothers, Irish heritage, etc. It doesn't seem unreasonable, then, for the larger community to get the impression this is the type of behavior that the gay community takes "Pride" in. Third, these parades are mostly in the middle of downtown. People often don't have the option to "stay home". I know this is aside from the topic to I'll leave it at that.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    I'm okay with most of what you've said except for this. And it may seem like a trivial point but since it was a response to something I said, I'll respond. First, my question wasn't what parades are based on behavior but what other groups have international parades wherein this type of behavior is prevalent? Second, like it or not, the Pride parades are what the outside world sees of this community--many of whom don't have much or any experience in their personal lives with the gay community. What do you expect them to think? When people have parades they bring out what they're proud of: soldiers, mothers, Irish heritage, etc. It doesn't seem unreasonable, then, for the larger community to get the impression this is the type of behavior that the gay community takes "Pride" in. Third, these parades are mostly in the middle of downtown. People often don't have the option to "stay home". I know this is aside from the topic to I'll leave it at that.
    <irony>Which is exactly why Doctor King's marchers were beaten down in Selma. Could you imagine the nerve of those people marching right down the street in downtown where families have to live. At least they "dressed whiter" </irony>
    Yes, let's keeping anything perceived as "uncomfortable" away from the "Father Knows Best" families.

I'm sure many people felt that exact same away about rights marches in the 50s and 60s. Does Selma ring a bell? Not to co-opt anything.

All I'm trying to say, is that you see that one image and make a judgment. Now try listening to someone who doesn't participate in that image. Or try listening to your neighbor (you know that single guy down the street with his own home, no girlfriends, and a great front yard). Don't just take your information from what the news media feeds you.
    Brent
    T650 on Sprint's Wireless Wonder
    Yes, let's keeping anything perceived as "uncomfortable" away from the "Father Knows Best" families.
    Hey, its a free country. Just remember that those "Father knows best" families are the ones who are going to be voting on things like gay marriage.

I'm sure many people felt that exact same away about rights marches in the 50s and 60s. Does Selma ring a bell? Not to co-opt anything.
    You're comparing walking down a public street with having simulated sex acts in bondage attire in the middle of a public street?

All I'm trying to say, is that you see that one image and make a judgment. Now try listening to someone who doesn't participate in that image. Or try listening to your neighbor (you know that single guy down the street with his own home, no girlfriends, and a great front yard). Don't just take your information from what the news media feeds you.
    I agree whole-heartedly. But at the same time, the community should be concerned about these parades actually being counter-productive.
    You're comparing walking down a public street with having simulated sex acts in bondage attire in the middle of a public street?
    hoovs view of gays?
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    hoovs view of gays?
    Never been to a Pride parade blaze?
    Never been to a Pride parade blaze?
    Ever been to a high school dance hoovs?
    Ever been to a high school dance hoovs?
    Yep, no latex at mine. How about yours?
    Yep, no latex at mine. How about yours?
    Back to hoovs view of gays again.
    Back to hoovs view of gays again.
    Back to "ever been to a Pride parade blaze?"
    If the goal is to become accepted then I think they should lay off wearing thongs and bondage-style attire at the Pride parades.
    these parades are mostly in the middle of downtown. People often don't have the option to "stay home".
    I think you have made your opinion of gays clear hoovs. Thank you.
    I think you have made your opinion of gays clear hoovs. Thank you.
    Interesting. So, you appear to be saying that the Pride Parade is a fair representative of the gay lifestyle in general.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    If the goal is to become accepted then I think they should lay off wearing thongs and bondage-style attire at the Pride parades. It doesn't exactly give Mr & Mrs Middle America warm fuzzies when they see it.
    roflmao!
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    As I have continually said though, if sexual preference becomes a class in regards to discrimination, it should be for all consenting adults not just homosexual.
    Are they being denied the right to marry each other? Only if they're the same sex. My point is, you're on a different issue.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    First, my question wasn't what parades are based on behavior but what other groups have international parades wherein this type of behavior is prevalent?
    Doesn't Rio have some pretty risque parades? Nawlins does too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael
    But not gay. You're missing the point. <-- irony

You know that reminds me, when I was younger, I used to work at Walt Disney World, needless to say, at times I was one of the only straight men in sight. A conservative co-worker of mine, filed a complaint with HR that she was made uncomfortable with another coworker talking openly about his gay lifestile. Management called him in for a counseling.

Not long after, she was talking about how her husband likes her to keep her panty hose on while they do it. She was called in and given the same reprimand.

The same went for familes complaining about gays kissing for example. We applied the same standard as we did to a married couple behaving the same way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael
    Ah, well, there's no accounting for the French. They leave a path of corruption everywhere they go.
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920