Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    Current American society does not condone the action you are accusing it of. Get real or go east or go to another continent, 'cause a lot of places do. Ben
    Of course, only your brand of tyranny of the majority is fine. At least you temper your views with a nice dose of ethnocentrism.
    Point it out to me. It speaks in generalities, marriage is not mentioned nor from my knowledge was it an intended.

Ben
    Neither was separate drinking fountains.
  3.    #23  
    I just read it again and gosh, there is nothing there that even comes close to marriage - you are really stretching it there.

Ben
  4.    #24  
    You are grasping for a connection that is not there.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Neither was separate drinking fountains.
    I just read it again and gosh, there is nothing there that even comes close to marriage - you are really stretching it there.

Ben
    While you're in there, is there anything in there about integrating the schools?
    You are grasping for a connection that is not there.

Ben
    Lol, the connection between our forefathers protecting us from tyranny of the majority?
  7.    #27  
    And why not, are we not talking about the United States of America? Surely we are not talking about changing the ways of people in other countries? I sure am not. Are you now advocating that? Keep throwing out the trash, you are doing a great job with it.

Ben

Of course, only your brand of tyranny of the majority is fine. At least you temper your views with a nice dose of ethnocentrism.
    And why not, are we not talking about the United States of America? Surely we are not talking about changing the ways of people in other countries? I sure am not. Are you now advocating that? Keep throwing out the trash, you are doing a great job with it.

Ben
    Huh?
    Ahem,

When two people are married they are afforded certain rights and protections between one another. The gov't hands out marriage licenses. So this is more than a social norm, it's a law which applies rights which are being denied to a specific group. The logic is inescapable. Well for most people.
  10.    #30  
    And under the traditional norms of this country and most countries, marriage between two people is marriage between a male and a female and those marriages to benefit society. No argument there. No one is being denied any rights at all. No one. The logic is inescapable, at least for most people, as you say below.

Where is the social norm in a tranditional sense for a man/man or woman/woman marraige? There would be one if there was a benefit to society. You have yet to indicate what that benefit is other than to make them happy and to feel good about themselves. A drug addict feels good about himself when he is high. A killer, the list is endless.

Again, at what point do you draw a line?

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    When two people are married they are afforded certain rights and protections between one another. The gov't hands out marriage licenses. So this is more than a social norm, it's a law which applies rights which are being denied to a specific group. The logic is inescapable. Well for most people.
  11.    #31  
    I did not notice tyranny in this statement. Do you know the definition of tyranny? Another example of trash for trash's benefit. Keep putting this out and someone, maybe my dog, might believe your arguments.

Ben

12.    #32  
    Nope and at that time, there was a very visible injustice that had to be addressed and though I did not support the courts actions, I understood the need for it. Not a problem, society benefited from the action. Again, where does society benefit from the focus of this discussion?

Ben

While you're in there, is there anything in there about integrating the schools?
    And under the traditional norms of this country and most countries, marriage between two people is marriage between a male and a female and those marriages to benefit society. No argument there. No one is being denied any rights at all. No one. The logic is inescapable, at least for most people, as you say below.

Where is the social norm in a tranditional sense for a man/man or woman/woman marraige? There would be one if there was a benefit to society. You have yet to indicate what that benefit is other than to make them happy and to feel good about themselves. A drug addict feels good about himself when he is high. A killer, the list is endless.

Again, at what point do you draw a line?

Ben

Your arguments have been used to validate discrimination in this country throughout the centuries. Using your "traditionalist" arguement, it would have been illegal for me to marry my girlfriend 100 years ago.

And there needs to be no benefit to society. I don't know what your babbling about there.

Address the point: the gov't hands out marriage licenses. Marriage affords certain rights and protections between two people. Now rationalize how the gov't can deny equal rights under the law to same-sex couples willing to get married. You have not come close to addressing this.
  14.    #34  
    Good luck trying to justify this to the majorit of this country. I am bored.

Bye
    I did not notice tyranny in this statement. Do you know the definition of tyranny? Another example of trash for trash's benefit. Keep putting this out and someone, maybe my dog, might believe your arguments.

Ben
    my coworkers are looking at me again for laffing alone at my desk

the statement is clear in its original context, go back and look at it

Bye
    lmao

Bye
    Yea, Ya kinda don't get it do you. That's the point of the constitution to protect the minority from the majority. I'm sorry you can't or won't view this in that light.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Ahem,

Your right, the gov't hands out marriage license, the gov't we vote in determine who to give the license to, the people have voted numerous times on gay marriage, it has failed numerous times, the courts have looked at it and made their determination. It is pretty simple logic, in this country marriage is defined as a man and a woman, the people have voted to maintain that definition and the courts have agreed. If you do not want to meet the standards that the people have voted on, the courts have agreed upon then don't ask for the privalages (not rights) afforded to those who meet the standard.

If two men want to live in the same house, share their bed and their undies I don't give a crap, but comparing it to racism is laughable and shows a lack of intellect.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    If two men want to live in the same house, share their bed and their undies I don't give a crap, but comparing it to racism is laughable and shows a lack of intellect.
    What do you want to call denying a group of people equal rights under the same laws?
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    What do you want to call denying a group of people equal rights under the same laws?
    What rights are being denied to anyone who agrees to meet the standard? Everyone has the ability to meet the standard, some may choose not to, but that is their choice. If I choose to remain single, I would not get the privilege of a married couple. If I choose to marry three or four different women at the same time, should I get 3 or 4 times the privilege?
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast