Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81314151617181920 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael
    You forgot sex with insects... insex I think. None of these have anything to do with gay marraige.
    That chick on a Bug's Life wasn't bad.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Again you miss the point, it is not up to the majority to protect these rights/privelages. It is up to the judiciary.
    Does the judical branch make the laws?
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Sorry. Missed that last question. Only hetrosexuals get married, right? Do the math
    Do you have to be married to be a polygamist? Can you legally marry more than on partner?
    Amend the US Constitution
    The argument can be made for that but I'm inclined to think that any new federal Constitutional amendment with regard to this situation would be a bad idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Does the judical branch make the laws?
    They interpret the laws, why do we keep doing this dance.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    They interpret the laws, why do we keep doing this dance.
    And the interpretation to date (except in Mass.) has been........ I think the courts have done their job, they have interpreted the laws that are on the book. When the courts did not side with gay marriage it was taken to the people to vote on allowing same sex marriage, what did the people say......NO.
    And the interpretation to date (except in Mass.) has been........ I think the courts have done their job, they have interpreted the laws that are on the book. When the courts did not side with gay marriage it was taken to the people to vote on allowing same sex marriage, what did the people say......NO.
    And I still say ultimately, it will be the law of the land and it will be called Civil Unions.
    And I still say ultimately, it will be the law of the land and it will be called Civil Unions.
    Maybe we just need a few more years of Will & Grace before we're sufficiently brain-wash... er... I mean convinced.
    Wow. So much emotion here.

apart from one's personal distaste for what same sex couples might be doing in their bedrooms, how exactly is 'society' threatened by permitting them them to marry??

Oh by the way, consecutive polygamy (not simultaneous polygamy) is legal and common practice in the good old USA. Each time you divorce and remarry you are practicing a form of polygamy that I personally find very distasteful. And...It is bad for the kids of such unions.
    No argument here(i'm too tired), I just wanted to take the time out to say thank you to MOST of the peple on this board who have been civil. I have learned alot from the last 3 or four days talking with you guys. I know that it takes a decient amount of time to read and re-read through posts and for the most part people have addeded informed opinions and ideas. This is my absolute favorite part about being in America!
    I'm so looking forward to the fact that I WILL learn to accept thIs bs. Talk about tolerant lib bs.
    What is the difference between marriage and civil union? Don't you have separate civil and religious marriages anyway, how does marrying work in the US?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    What is the difference between marriage and civil union? Don't you have separate civil and religious marriages anyway, how does marrying work in the US?
    In this context the "civil union" and "marriage" are synonymous. It seems to be a linguistic compromise.

Today, there is a distinction between the religious ceremony and the civil ceremont. From what I noticed on the state government website for Maryland, the "civil" ceremony is performed by a state employee. The "religious" is peformed by a religious leader licensed by the state. Each involves a verbal commitment by the couple followed by a declaration from the official, with all providing signatures on the official document. The primary distinction is in the execution of the covenant. The religious tends to incorporate religious, cultural and/or family traditions and rites in the ceremony. However, not all do. Likewise, such can be found in the civil as well, but typically are not.
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    In this context the "civil union" and "marriage" are synonymous. It seems to be a linguistic compromise.

Today, there is a distinction between the religious ceremony and the civil ceremont. From what I noticed on the state government website for Maryland, the "civil" ceremony is performed by a state employee. The "religious" is peformed by a religious leader licensed by the state. Each involves a verbal commitment by the couple followed by a declaration from the official, with all providing signatures on the official document. The primary distinction is in the execution of the covenant. The religious tends to incorporate religious, cultural and/or family traditions and rites in the ceremony. However, not all do. Likewise, such can be found in the civil as well, but typically are not.
    Thanks for the explanation. Pretty similar situation here regarding civil/religious marriage. So you can simply call the state part civil union instead of marriage and call the religious thingy marriage. Problem solved, everybody can go home.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    Thanks for the explanation. Pretty similar situation here regarding civil/religious marriage. So you can simply call the state part civil union instead of marriage and call the religious thingy marriage. Problem solved, everybody can go home.
    Almost. Here, it seems that the distinctions will address both religious involvement as well as gender participation, resulting in four variations:

Marriage w/religious ceremony
    Marriage w/civil ceremony
    Civil Union w/religious ceremony
    Civil Union w/civil ceremony
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    Maybe we just need a few more years of Will & Grace before we're sufficiently brain-wash... er... I mean convinced.
    I see how you feel, were the Jeffersons and the Cosbys brainwashing us too? Where do we draw the line right?
    Last edited by theBlaze74; 07/12/2006 at 01:53 PM.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Do you have to be married to be a polygamist? Can you legally marry more than on partner?
    Have you ever heard of one instance of a homosexual polygamist? I'm sure you could probably google one when prompted... maybe... but have you yourself heard of such a.... an arrangement?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by perditac
    Wow. So much emotion here.

apart from one's personal distaste for what same sex couples might be doing in their bedrooms, how exactly is 'society' threatened by permitting them them to marry??

Oh by the way, consecutive polygamy (not simultaneous polygamy) is legal and common practice in the good old USA. Each time you divorce and remarry you are practicing a form of polygamy that I personally find very distasteful. And...It is bad for the kids of such unions.
    It must be outlawed! I suggest we amend the Constitution!
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Have you ever heard of one instance of a homosexual polygamist? I'm sure you could probably google one when prompted... maybe... but have you yourself heard of such a.... an arrangement?
    It was not that long ago that you did not hear about same sex marriage in the mainstream either. My point is that if we decide that same sex marriage is a right for homosexual partners, then it should be a right for any and all consenting adults (incest is the obvious exclusion due to obvious medical issues) whether they have one or 8 partners. If sexual orientation is the basis for the rights then sexual orientation rights should not exclude sets of sexual orientations. I do not think that sexual orientation is a class that should be elevated to that level, but if it is it should be as broad as rights based on race or national origin.
    Principly, would not multiple consentual partners be the equivalent?

{Not that this tangent has bearing on the question at hand}