Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Not to keep if from ever happening again. No one would consider that a realistic possibility. But could increasing the penalties short of your extreme example, significantly reduce this problem? I think so.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    Not to keep if from ever happening again. No one would consider that a realistic possibility. But could increasing the penalties short of your extreme example, significantly reduce this problem? I think so.
    Of course. But just as in "normal" criminal justice, the likelihood of it happening again can't be the only consideration. For instance, I think we need to ensure that our corporations are willing to take risks, as that is where true inovation (financial or otherwise) comes from. I know it's easy to see anyone defending anything about Enron as crazy/a thief, but I think when people sit down and think about it, there are a lot of scary things that have come out of the enron prosecution--the destruction of thousands of jobs at Arthur Andersen not being the least among them.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Of course. But just as in "normal" criminal justice, the likelihood of it happening again can't be the only consideration. For instance, I think we need to ensure that our corporations are willing to take risks, as that is where true inovation (financial or otherwise) comes from. I know it's easy to see anyone defending anything about Enron as crazy/a thief, but I think when people sit down and think about it, there are a lot of scary things that have come out of the enron prosecution--the destruction of thousands of jobs at Arthur Andersen not being the least among them.
    If by innovation you mean shredding documents to cover up Enron fraud, then that innovation I could do without. If I was working at that firm and learned what they were doing I would not have waited to be laid off, I would have quit.

Anyway, there are a lot of jobs lost all the time for the greater corporate good. American job loss from outsourcing to third world countries makes the problem you describe seem miniscule, but I do not hear corporate america playing violins in the background or weeping about this. Its simply business as usual.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    If by innovation you mean shredding documents to cover up Enron fraud, then that innovation I could do without.
    Not at all. But Enron did some really interesting things without any funny business. Unfortunately I think a lot of people have confused the good and the bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Not at all. But Enron did some really interesting things without any funny business. Unfortunately I think a lot of people have confused the good and the bad.
    What about all the good things Hitler did? No one ever talks about those either.
    http://www.noshame.org/scripts/yancey050429.htm
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123