Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 45 of 45
  1. #41  
    Not to keep if from ever happening again. No one would consider that a realistic possibility. But could increasing the penalties short of your extreme example, significantly reduce this problem? I think so.
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    Not to keep if from ever happening again. No one would consider that a realistic possibility. But could increasing the penalties short of your extreme example, significantly reduce this problem? I think so.
    Of course. But just as in "normal" criminal justice, the likelihood of it happening again can't be the only consideration. For instance, I think we need to ensure that our corporations are willing to take risks, as that is where true inovation (financial or otherwise) comes from. I know it's easy to see anyone defending anything about Enron as crazy/a thief, but I think when people sit down and think about it, there are a lot of scary things that have come out of the enron prosecution--the destruction of thousands of jobs at Arthur Andersen not being the least among them.
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Of course. But just as in "normal" criminal justice, the likelihood of it happening again can't be the only consideration. For instance, I think we need to ensure that our corporations are willing to take risks, as that is where true inovation (financial or otherwise) comes from. I know it's easy to see anyone defending anything about Enron as crazy/a thief, but I think when people sit down and think about it, there are a lot of scary things that have come out of the enron prosecution--the destruction of thousands of jobs at Arthur Andersen not being the least among them.
    If by innovation you mean shredding documents to cover up Enron fraud, then that innovation I could do without. If I was working at that firm and learned what they were doing I would not have waited to be laid off, I would have quit.

    Anyway, there are a lot of jobs lost all the time for the greater corporate good. American job loss from outsourcing to third world countries makes the problem you describe seem miniscule, but I do not hear corporate america playing violins in the background or weeping about this. Its simply business as usual.
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    If by innovation you mean shredding documents to cover up Enron fraud, then that innovation I could do without.
    Not at all. But Enron did some really interesting things without any funny business. Unfortunately I think a lot of people have confused the good and the bad.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Not at all. But Enron did some really interesting things without any funny business. Unfortunately I think a lot of people have confused the good and the bad.
    What about all the good things Hitler did? No one ever talks about those either.
    http://www.noshame.org/scripts/yancey050429.htm
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions