1.    #1  

A declaration of war by Paul Waldman (Jun 30, 2006)

"This week, the conservatives declared war.

Not on The New York Times. Not even on the media in general. No, this week the entire conservative movement -- from the White House to Republicans in Congress to Fox News to right-wing talk radio to conservative magazines -- declared war on the very idea of an independent press.

They declared war on the idea that journalists have not just the right but the obligation to hold those in power accountable for their actions. They declared war on the idea that journalists, not the government and not a political party, get to decide what appears in the press. They declared war on the idea that the public has a right to know what the government is doing in our name.

This is a profound threat to our democracy, and we underestimate it at our peril."

read more...

Quote Originally Posted by The Constitution of the United States of America
    Amendment I:
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Is it that you don't believe they put American lives at risk , or you don't care?
    The question really is, just how free is the press if they have to cater to the government? Whether we like it or not, the press isn't obligated to do anything in favor of the government. If it is indeed free, that is.
    The concern that I have is that some in "the press" like to appeal to the nation's constitution but seem to hold no allegiance to the nation itself or have concern of the nation's security.
    For clarity, I don't think it is appropriate to violate our principles in the name of fightin terrorism, but the financial tracing seems to be what IRS does on a regular basis, anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    The question really is, just how free is the press if they have to cater to the government? Whether we like it or not, the press isn't obligated to do anything in favor of the government. If it is indeed free, that is.
    The Times had the story for 2 months, but sat on it until the administration made its case how national security would be affected.

Remember, this is the same administration that told us we shouldn't hear about them spying on our phone calls without a court because of "national security", and making a database of ALL our calls, and the same administration that said we cannot hear Osama's tapes because they might contain secret subliminablbleble messages.

I think it is far more likely the Times & the rest of the Papers found the real reason was the administration not wanting to be embarrased again.

If we took every one of this administration's power grabs on face value when given the "national security" excuse, we would have a dictatorship by now.
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    For clarity, I don't think it is appropriate to violate our principles in the name of fightin terrorism, but the financial tracing seems to be what IRS does on a regular basis, anyway.
    Exactly. The Times really revealed nothing that this Admin has not already stated it would do, common sense tells you it would do, and your International bank transactions monthly paperwork clearly states it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Exactly. The Times really revealed nothing that this Admin has not already stated it would do, common sense tells you it would do, and your International bank transactions monthly paperwork clearly states it does.
    Except for the fact that it said he is doing it without constitutial authority. Which is the real reason for the "outrage".
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Except for the fact that it said he is doing it without constitutial authority. Which is the real reason for the "outrage".
    Exactly. Cheney and Rummy don't like the constitution.
  10. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I think most of this info was generally availible. I mean for goodness sake the program has it's own Magazine.

And their own website (http://www.swift.com/). I view this recent flap by folks on right as a ruse.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    I view this recent flap by folks on right as a ruse.
    Yup. Ditto that. Just another one of their "rah-rah" talking points to appeal to their partisanship while doing nothing to address any real issues.
  12. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    I think most of this info was generally availible. I mean for goodness sake the program has it's own Magazine.

And their own website (http://www.swift.com/). I view this recent flap by folks on right as a ruse.
    Oh lookie here. Was the White House first in disclosing this program?

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...0010924-1.html
    Now that the story was published, let them pay the penalty. We are at war and there are laws that allow for their prosecution.
    Ben
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    Now that the story was published, let them pay the penalty. We are at war and there are laws that allow for their prosecution.
    Ben
    I agree, it's well past time to prosecute the heck out of this White House
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    Ben
    The story is on the White House website. Now you are prosecuting the President?

Wow
  16. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts

So I guess we acknowledge this is BS, and nothing more than a show!
    Unless you're a rah-rah Fox news cheerleader. They're still trying to stoke this thing.