Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    answer the question, blaze. which scenario would you be happier with? can you do that? or is it just too difficult for you?
    I gotta have more cowbell
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002
    answer the question, blaze. which scenario would you be happier with? can you do that? or is it just too difficult for you?
    My choices are give power to this president to imprision whomever he choose, around the world, indefinitely soely on his own authority. Or, killing 5000 innocent people. Lol, wow you got me with your brilliant, brilliant idea.
  3.    #43  
    Here's another brilliant one.
    Quote Originally Posted by hypothetical brilliant question 1
    Would you like to try to stop beating your wife?
    Quote Originally Posted by hypothetical answer 1
    uh, yes, no wait
    Quote Originally Posted by hypothetical answer 2
    no, i mean ... uh, wait a second
  4.    #44  
    and an equally brilliant follow up
    Quote Originally Posted by hypothetical brilliant follow up
    What's wrong? Trouble making up a lie? JUST ANSWER THE QUESTION!!
    LOL
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    oh yes, blaze, these prisoners are just angels in disguise, and we've imprisoned them for absolutely no good reason. sure, they've done absolutely nothing wrong and our secret mission is to round all the world muslims up. . yeah, sure, ill buy that.
    these people were caught in some pretty suspicious situations in order for us to consider them qualified for GITMO. I doubt we are dealing with innocents here, but should we bring them through trial, I would think the military tribunal is the proper place for these cases.
    I would think the military tribunal is the proper place for these cases.
    I guess you need to be reminded yet again that the Supreme Court has ruled these tribunals to be not proper.. And as for trusting our government to be running this operation fairly, check out this story:

Guardian Unlimited

June 30, 2006

"The US government said it could not find the men that Guantánamo detainee Abdullah Mujahid believes could help set him free. The Guardian found them in three days.

Two years ago the US military invited Mr Mujahid, a former Afghan police commander accused of plotting against the United States, to prove his innocence before a special military tribunal. As was his right, Mr Mujahid called four witnesses from Afghanistan.

But months later the tribunal president returned with bad news: the witnesses could not be found. Mr Mujahid's hopes sank and he was returned to the wire-mesh cell where he remains today."

Read More...
  7.    #47  
    First this scathing sarcastic suggestion that allowing due process for the detainees would result in 5000 murders...
    scenario #1:

we actually consider these petitions, and proceed to allow the al qaeda prisoners due process.
    our "brilliant" supreme court justices decide to order the release of these inmates and they return to the battlefield. we find that these prisoners orchestrate and successfully execute another 9/11 attack either on our soil or abroad in which anywhere from 3000 - 5000 people are killed. our shining example of democracy has certainly been upheld, but at the unfortunate sacrifice of 5000 people. how do you think you'd sleep at night with this one? I'm very interested. do you think the american voter would be grateful to you for supporting a process which led to this outcome?

scenario #2:

we continue to hold these terrorists captive, and though we DEEPLY upset those who want the rule of law upheld, we successfully prevent an attack on our soil which takes hundreds or thousands of american lives with one fell swoop.

which scenario would you rest easier with?
    and now a suggestion that we should allow them due process?
    I would think the military tribunal is the proper place for these cases.
    lol, whew
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    in any case, I will be very interested to watch where these detainees end up in the event of their release.
  9.    #49  
    in any case, I will be very interested to watch where these detainees end up in the event of their release.
    Well, the ones the administration captured and tied sacks on their head, and held them in a steel cage, without access to a trial or attorney for 2 years, who turned out to be tourists, were released back in Afghanistan recently. We know where those are.
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    your extreme idea. Not your personality, or your character, or your wife or family, as others here have done.
    oh yes, blaze, these prisoners are just angels in disguise, and we've imprisoned them for absolutely no good reason. sure, they've done absolutely nothing wrong and our secret mission is to round all the world muslims up. . yeah, sure, ill buy that.
    these people were caught in some pretty suspicious situations in order for us to consider them qualified for GITMO. I doubt we are dealing with innocents here, but should we bring them through trial, I would think the military tribunal is the proper place for these cases.
    VW: I really think that if these detainees are as guilty as you suspect, there would be no problem bringing them to trial here in the U.S. and successfully prosecuting them.

I have a feeling though that it would be very difficult for a successful prosecution, hence the government doesnt want to afford them rights and does not want to let them go.

The military tribunals might be the proper place, but it will take a concerted effort by the Executive and Legislative branches to make it happen. It would be much quicker and more judicious to try them in civilian courts IMO.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

TB,

What were your feelings when this occurred under the Clinton administration? Not as many were held, but there were two off-shore prisons.

Frankly, if one of them gets loose and kills someone, how would you feel? or would you just say "so what."
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    TB,

What were your feelings when this occurred under the Clinton administration? Not as many were held, but there were two off-shore prisons.

Frankly, if one of them gets loose and kills someone, how would you feel? or would you just say "so what."
    TB is me?

What were my feelings when the Clinton administration captured a pair of tourists in Afghanistan, tied sacks on their heads, tortured them, and held them in steel cages for 2 years with no access to an attorney, or judge, and no charges brought against them, then set them free without ever having their day in court? I have to say, I don't remember it, but if I would have known of it, I would say that he should have stepped down.

And the next question is whether I would care or not if one of the tourists murdered somebody? Is that a serious question? Wow ok, well I guess I will just answer it as if it were a reasonable question. It is my view that after any conviction, there should be weight given to the likely recidivism rate of any criminal during the sentencing phase, and attempts made during the sentence to make said criminal LESS dangerous, not more.

Note ... sentencing phase comes after a conviction, which comes AFTER seing a Judge, which comes AFTER making a court, and AFTER assigning an attorney to the accused. Sorry if this seems remedial to some of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    <IRONY>Why not stay on the safe side and shoot everybody on site? Why have courts at all? We can only be sure nobody gets loose and kills somebody if he or she is killed first. Who cares about justice, emprisoning possibly innocent people indefinitely and all that lame stuff, at least as long as they are foreigners, or even Muslim foreigners...</IRONY>
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    <IRONY>Why not stay on the safe side and shoot everybody on site? Why have courts at all? ...IRONY>
    Remove the IRONY tags and you've got yourself a post worthy of www.freerepublic.com. I'm serious, I saw many posts like in their thread over the Supreme Court's ruling.
  16.    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster
    Remove the IRONY tags and you've got yourself a post worthy of www.freerepublic.com. I'm serious, I saw many posts like in their thread over the Supreme Court's ruling.
    There were even some here until they finally gave up and went elsewhere.
  17.    #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster
    Lol, they actually have an entire segment of the site called "Homosexual Agenda".
    Here's the Thread in question:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-...ts?q=1&&page=1

Right on the first page:
    "OK Line them up and shot the lot of them."
    That thread is very entertaining (though also quite disturbing)...
    Who the heck is "Geneva" and why should I care about her Convention? Where was "Geneva" when 3,000 of our noncombatants were murdered? Where was the convention by others countries to help us throw out Saddam? Which, frankly, begs the question, does Geneva's Convention apply when Saddam's boy's are running rape rooms, or digging mass graves? I think Geneva has been a failure. Do you think the terrorists are ruminating on whether their actions are in conflict with Miss Geneva?
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    There were even some here until they finally gave up and went elsewhere.
    Oh the hypocrisy. Will it never end?
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    Oh the hypocrisy. Will it never end?
    Any examples to back up your insults? Or just another baseless character assault on your part?

More importantly, how does this relate to the GITMO Petitions?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast