Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1.    #1  
    Executive pensions can be big liability says WSJ
    Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:06 AM ET

    NEW YORK, June 23 (Reuters) - Executive benefits play a large and hidden role in the declining health of U.S. pensions, and executive pension obligations exceed $1 billion at seven U.S. companies, The Wall Street Journal said on Friday.

    Benefits for executives on average account for 8 percent of the pension obligations at those companies, including General Motors Corp. <GM.N>, General Electric Co. <GE.N>, AT&T Inc. <T.N> and Exxon Mobil Corp. <XOM.N>, among others, it said.

    The big obligations, which can approach $100 million for a single executive's pension, come at a time many companies are reducing, freezing or eliminating pensions for their workers.

    GM ended pensions for 42,000 workers this year, but the savings companies make by curtailing worker pensions may mask a rising cost of executive benefits, the newspaper said.

    Executive pension liabilities are largely hidden because companies don't distinguish them from their overall pension obligations in financial filings, said the Journal, which ran analysis of corporate filings to unearth the data.


    sigh.

    Wake up labor and stop screwing ourselves! I've never seen a period in my lifetime in which the wealthy consumed so much at the expense of the middle class and a middle class so willing to take it they bring their own ball-gag.


  2. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #2  
    As far as I know, Socialism has always failed in practice. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael
    As far as I know, Socialism has always failed in practice. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Who is talking about socialism?

    In a capitalist economy, the middle class is a load bearing post.
  4. #4  
    It is unfortunate. Yet, it is the lot of those who work for others.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    It is unfortunate. Yet, it is the lot of those who work for others.

    It is the lot for those who do not recognize the power of their labor.

    Face it. The freight workers (truck/rail) of our country have us by the short hairs anytime they choose to use that power.
  6. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    It is the lot for those who do not recognize the power of their labor.

    Face it. The freight workers (truck/rail) of our country have us by the short hairs anytime they choose to use that power.
    And you asked me who was talking about socialism. History repeats itself, no?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Wake up labor and stop screwing ourselves! I've never seen a period in my lifetime in which the wealthy consumed so much at the expense of the middle class and a middle class so willing to take it they bring their own ball-gag.
    Pay no attention to that.

    Focus on gay people and flag burning.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael
    And you asked me who was talking about socialism. History repeats itself, no?
    Just treating skilled labor as the commodity it is.
  9. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #9  
    While all say this unfair, it has been the practice as long as business has been in business. Man in and of itself is a greedy creature and will take of care of #1 first and worry about others after the fact.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    While all say this unfair, it has been the practice as long as business has been in business. Man in and of itself is a greedy creature and will take of care of #1 first and worry about others after the fact.
    Actually, phsio-behavioral (did I just make that up??) research has shown that we are creatures of cooperation.
  11. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Actually, phsio-behavioral (did I just make that up??) research has shown that we are creatures of cooperation.
    I agree, your post sounds made up.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Actually, phsio-behavioral (did I just make that up??) research has shown that we are creatures of cooperation.
    Likely because cooperation proves to preserve numero uno.

    As it relates to the corporate executive pensions, is this any different from congress taking salary increases and primo benefits while debating and delaying the likes for the citizenry? Which elected representative do you know that has foregone pay or benefits in support of the "middle class" working man?
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    As it relates to the corporate executive pensions, is this any different from congress taking salary increases and primo benefits while debating and delaying the likes for the citizenry? Which elected representative do you know that has foregone pay or benefits in support of the "middle class" working man?
    EXACTLY! The working class of this country will take it without a kiss and still watch Fox News and cheer on their abusers. Amazing. Like dangling a string in front of a cat, look over here, not here.


  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    EXACTLY! The working class of this country will take it without a kiss and still watch Fox News and cheer on their abusers. Amazing. Like dangling a string in front of a cat, look over here, not here.


    Barak Obama was suggesting recently to the Democrats, that they make more of an attempt to court the evangelicals. As it stands, we don't pay much attention to them, and there seem to be more and more of them every year.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Barak Obama was suggesting recently to the Democrats, that they make more of an attempt to court the evangelicals. As it stands, we don't pay much attention to them, and there seem to be more and more of them every year.
    The Dems need to focus on the working class regardless of religion. The American working class is getting hammered!
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    The Dems need to focus on the working class regardless of religion. The American working class is getting hammered!
    Sure, but

    1.) none of us Americans count ourselves among the working class, and

    2.) even if we did, the message does not exactly push the simple folk to the polls quite like flag burning, homosexual, illegal immigrants. And Carl Rove knows it.

Posting Permissions