1.    #1  
    This isn't the one I need to wipe, that one works fine.

This just started recently. I've tried all I can think of including constant uninstall, reinstall. I even flashed the BIOS again. Nothing works. It simply will not acknowledge the built-in internal CD/DVD-rom drive nor an external one. They show up in Device Manager, but then have an "!", meaning there is a problem. It also says the drivers are installed, but Windows simply doesn't see the devices. But it sees everything else I install. Any suggestions from those in the know? I'm desperate!! My laptop suddenly hates CD-rom drives.Thanks!

Here's something I got from HP's PC Check: "Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device.
    This is a legacy root service that didn't create a device object. Reinstall the device."

I did reinstall, it still doesn't work.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 06/28/2006 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Add additional info.
    did u scan for a virus?

does device manager give you an error code? See.
    did you uninstall some software? see.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks, I will look into this! I did get code 41.
  4.    #4  
    The MSFT link worked like a charm!! Thanks Felipe! I thought it might have been a hardware problem, good to see it wasn't!
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 06/28/2006 at 09:54 PM.
    cool
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.