Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38
  1.    #1  
    Can any of those in the know recommend industrial strength software(as in, the files can't be easily reclaimed) for this? Someone recommended BC Wipe for the PC. Nothing yet for the Mac. I do need the original OS to remain intact on both. Thanks for your help!
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Can any of those in the know recommend industrial strength software(as in, the files can't be easily reclaimed) for this? Someone recommended BC Wipe for the PC. Nothing yet for the Mac. I do need the original OS to remain intact on both. Thanks for your help!
    bc wipe corrupted some very important data for me before

    look for pgp (pretty good privacy), or one of the open source options

    also, make sure to release your swap file before wiping

    as you know, you will have more security if you start with a wipe then a fresh install of windows

    for mac, you'll have 2 wait for the next poster, sorry
  3.    #3  
    Thanks! About release your swap file. Is that an option the software gives you or do I have to do that manually? If so, how?

    Also, open source options can be found by Googling?

    I also have a question about fresh install. Is the new install just copied(not overwritting the old), taking up extra space on the hard drive? Somehow my memory got chewed up when I did that before on another computer. I found I had all these duplicate Windows files.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Thanks! About release your swap file. Is that an option the software gives you or do I have to do that manually? If so, how?

    Also, open source options can be found by Googling?

    I also have a question about fresh install. Is the new install just copied(not overwritting the old), taking up extra space on the hard drive? Somehow my memory got chewed up when I did that before on another computer. I found I had all these duplicate Windows files.
    It would not be very helpfull to just copy the files, the most secure is a clean wipe then a fresh new install. And yes, its always good to install windows to a clean drive instead of one that already has files on it.

    When I say release swap file, I mean, right click on my computer, click on properties, advanced, memory settings, and set it to no swapfile, then reboot before wiping.

    I am not sure of the best open source solution, Perhaps someone will be along. Maybe google, or even download.com.
  5.    #5  
    I have access to 2 PC hard drive wipers already included in some other utility software. I wonder if they're any good. One is from System Utilities 6, the other from Norton.

    Also, thank you for taking the time out to help!
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I have access to 2 PC hard drive wipers already included in some other utility software. I wonder if they're any good. One is from System Utilities 6, the other from Norton.

    Also, thank you for taking the time out to help!
    The process of wiping is really simple and any of them should be fine for you. I think all of the free space wipe utilities use the same set of algorithms, some faster, some more thorough.

    My problem with BC Wipe was using it in conjunction with a PGP drive. BC Wipe corrupted some hidden files that PGP somehow needed, and the entire PGP drive became useless.

    If you are concerned about security however, it is more likely that sensetive information would be stored in swap, cache, log, and history files used by all the different software on your machine.

    The wipe utility you choose may not be the most important issue. That is why I said a clean wipe and fresh install is more secure.

    And np, thats what forums are for.

    That and whining about politics.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Can any of those in the know recommend industrial strength software(as in, the files can't be easily reclaimed) for this? Someone recommended BC Wipe for the PC. Nothing yet for the Mac. I do need the original OS to remain intact on both. Thanks for your help!
    Well, I suppose if you have the software for the PC, you could take the drive from the mac, put it in the PC, and run the software on it there.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Well, I suppose if you have the software for the PC, you could take the drive from the mac, put it in the PC, and run the software on it there.
    Doesn't the Mac use Linux file format? So it would work, but only if you are doing a complete wipe, including deleting the partition.
  9. #9  
    I'm confused as to why you want to wipe the drives "except for the OS"???
  10. #10  
    There is a freeware program called Eraser. You can set it to wipe all clear space and it does have a DOD setting for mutliple, random writes. It's small and works very well.

    Version 5.7 (which works on Win 95 through XP) can be downloaded here:

    http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/download.php
    Brent
    T650 on Sprint's Wireless Wonder
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Doesn't the Mac use Linux file format? So it would work, but only if you are doing a complete wipe, including deleting the partition.
    Oops. I didn't see the line about needing the OS in tact.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    I'm confused as to why you want to wipe the drives "except for the OS"???
    I am not experienced with reformatting computers, so that's why this will probably sound lame to those in the know, but:

    I want to wipe the PC because the hard drive really needs to be erased and reformatted(I think a virus got to it or something), but I thought I'd mess up something if I erased the OS. But it does seem from your responses that I can wipe the OS off the drive entirely and reinstall with no problem. And now that I think about it, that might be best.

    As for the Mac, I want to erase all the data I put on, but not screw up the original installed OS. The Mac is not as torn up from the floor up as the PC(you knew that would be the case ).

    I hope someone can decipher what I said, especially about the PC.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 06/21/2006 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Clarification. I sound like an idiot, LOL!
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Oops. I didn't see the line about needing the OS in tact.


    So I can wipe the OS off the Mac? I did want to update the OS, but I don't know if it's safe to remove the original without messing up something.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I am not experienced with reformatting computers, so that's why this will probably sound lame to those in the know, but:

    I want to wipe the PC because the hard drive really needs to be erased and reformatted(I think a virus got to it or something). For the record, it's not the one I'm writing on now. But I had installed XP Pro over Home. I am not completely sure if the Pro will stay, or if it will revert back to Home(or will there be no OS at all if I wipe?). I think I have the recovery and update CDs anyway, so maybe it's not a big deal. Or maybe it's a non-issue, I've heard before you can't really uninstall an update (at least not an amateur home user). Anyone know? I'm thinking it really would be best to uninstall Windows entirely and put it back on.

    As for the Mac, I want to erase all the data I put on, but not screw up the original installed OS. The Mac is not as torn up from the floor up as the PC(you knew that would be the case ).

    I hope someone can decipher what I said, especially about the PC.
    If you aren't getting rid of the computer and don't want to try getting rid of the virus, just re-install the OS. If you still have the XP Pro disk, just install Windows again. It will ask if you want to upgrade or new install. Just select new install.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by StrangeReaction
    If you aren't getting rid of the computer and don't want to try getting rid of the virus, just re-install the OS. If you still have the XP Pro disk, just install Windows again. It will ask if you want to upgrade or new install. Just select new install.

    Thanks for recording my idiocy for all to see, LOL!! I edited that post 'cause I realized it sounded really dumb. Oh well. I was confused as to what would happen to the OS when I wiped the drive. Looks like the OS should be wiped off anyway, at least on the PC.

    I think the virus messed up some files(some crazy stuff popped up and I don't know where it came from), that's why I want to wipe the drive and reinstall everything. Even if I remove the virus, I think the files will still be messed up.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 06/21/2006 at 05:24 PM.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by bheuss
    There is a freeware program called Eraser. You can set it to wipe all clear space and it does have a DOD setting for mutliple, random writes. It's small and works very well.

    Version 5.7 (which works on Win 95 through XP) can be downloaded here:

    http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/download.php
    Thanks, I'll look into it!
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    So I can wipe the OS off the Mac? I did want to update the OS, but I don't know if it's safe to remove the original without messing up something.
    It's been a while since I used a mac with any regularity, but I presume you can safely wipe it out so long as the OS disk you have will allow you to install onto a fresh disk (it isn't an upgrade, for instance). After all, when Apple receives a shipment of disks from Samsung (WD, or whomever) there isn't an OS on there.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    The process of wiping is really simple and any of them should be fine for you. I think all of the free space wipe utilities use the same set of algorithms, some faster, some more thorough.

    My problem with BC Wipe was using it in conjunction with a PGP drive. BC Wipe corrupted some hidden files that PGP somehow needed, and the entire PGP drive became useless.

    If you are concerned about security however, it is more likely that sensetive information would be stored in swap, cache, log, and history files used by all the different software on your machine.

    The wipe utility you choose may not be the most important issue. That is why I said a clean wipe and fresh install is more secure.

    And np, thats what forums are for.

    That and whining about politics.
    I don't have a PGP encrypted drive, I'm too confused as to how to do that too, LOL!

    However, this is info is helpful for when I do need to get rid of another computer. Thanks!
  19. #19  
    An alternative to wiping everything would be some guided assistance in malware/virus/spyware removal. This site is very good and they will guide you through cleaning up a system. Just register and post in the forum.

    http://www.malwareremoval.com/
    Brent
    T650 on Sprint's Wireless Wonder
  20.    #20  
    Thanks! I'll look into that too. I have virus removal, I'm just worried that the files the virus infected won't be removed and are still corrupted. I may open up something and another crazy thing will pop up. I got some weird dialogue and laughter in some file pop up, that makes me think my PC is hosed and I just need to wipe it. I'm so glad I have more than one. The one I'm writing from is OK, I put heavy duty virus removal on it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions