Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Try cleaning the viruses and spyware/malware/adware first.

You can always do a clean install if you aren't successful.
  2.    #22  
    I did find one virus and would just remove it. It's just that when I got a pop up dialogue box(something like that)with audible laughter and talking and it also mentioned some website, I'm thinking the entire system is corrupted and I need to just start over. I can copy files from this computer to the other one(and NO viruses), plus I have files backed up on another hard drive, so it's not as dire as it sounds. But has the pop up malware ever happened to anyone else before?
    Ditto strangereaction's thoughts. You might easily be able to get rid of it with these two, free programs:

Adaware from: http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/

Spybot Search & Destroy from: http://www.safer-networking.org/

Be sure to update their databases after installing, then run them. If it's a known malware issue, one of these will probably get it.
    Brent
    T650 on Sprint's Wireless Wonder
    Format ALL. Wipe the entire disk. Do not try and save the OS.

Given the easy availability of Root Kits nowadays, nuking it from orbit is the only way to be sure.
    sounds to me like LT is into some pretty kinky stuff when shes not on TC ;-)
    Download a trial version of Kaspersky antivirus and run it. It finds things McAfee, Norton, and ZoneAlarm miss.

With Spybot S&D, make sure to immunize after downloading the updates, then run the program.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by eldiablo
    sounds to me like LT is into some pretty kinky stuff when shes not on TC ;-)

Sure I am , but I don't know where the crazy pop up box came from, since on that laptop there was only a Windows update and some minimal surfing.

SR, I have Kapersky on this machine. I LOVE it and after I clean the drive on the other, that is what I'll be using.
  8.    #28  
    Now I know why some of the usual suspects never came by to call me stupid for asking that above question, they got banned or left(temporarily).

Anyway, I'm going to wipe the drive on the other PC laptop and see what happens. Wish me luck! I still need some advice for the Mac, however.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Now I know why some of the usual suspects never came by to call me stupid for asking that above question, they got banned or left(temporarily).
    Awwww, need somebody to call you stupid until their suspension is over?

did the adaware / wipe work?
    Last edited by theBlaze74; 06/21/2006 at 10:37 PM.
    Can any of those in the know recommend industrial strength software(as in, the files can't be easily reclaimed) for this? Someone recommended BC Wipe for the PC. Nothing yet for the Mac. I do need the original OS to remain intact on both. Thanks for your help!
    Do you have the hard drives partitioned ? I set up all my PC's a sfollows:

C:\OS and OS Utilities only
    Hidden partition (saved for maintenance copy of OS or next OS Beta)
    D:\Swap and temp files only
    E:\Programs

Depending on machine, just one "Data Drive" or as many as below:

F:\Games
    G:\Text Data
    H:\CAD data
    I:\Graphic Data

J:\Backups

Partitions then can be backed up on different schedules to networked drives and tape drives. C:\ can be restored via a bootable CD and everything else just copied over. Reduces cluster slop and restores are cake. Defrags take minutes. Partitioning and the hidden partition are created via Partition Magic. If my OS gets fudged, I can still access the OS on the hidden partition and reclaim data or restore original C:\ from known good backup on J:\ or DVD.

But if you wanna try fixing what you got try the following:

1. Download the following:

F-Prot 30 day free trail - best AV deal around $29 for 5 puters.
    CleanUp
    SpyBot Search And Destroy
    Spyware Blaster
    CWShredder
    Spyware Doctor
    A-Squared
    Ewido
    Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta (Used to be Giant Spyware) - may no longer be available

No Spyware program finds everything so you may have to run a few to get everything out.

2. Install and run F-Prot, Lavasoft Ad-Aware personal and SpyBot Search and Destroy, CWShredder and MS (Giant) Antispyware- let them remove all found items.

3. Install and run Spyware Doctor. This program finds a lot but the trial version won't remove anything. However you can do web searches on things it finds and remove them manually or with A-squared or Ewido or whatever the web sites tell ya will remove these things. Watch out tho about downloading soemthing that doesn't look legit....some suppossed antispyware programs are in fact spyware. Spyware Doctor tho I think invents a few things that only it seems to know about just to make you buy it I think .

4. You may want to try ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite. I just, in essence, nade 410 for trying it out. My offcie boxes have Zone Alarm Pro and I just received the notice and bill telling em it's time to pay the $29 renewal fee. The site also ahd an "upgrade offer" offering em to upgrade to the full suite for $19.95 ... the upgrade gave me the upgrade and renewed my support contract for $19.95 price instead of me not upgrading and paying $29 to renew what I had . Since I upgraded, Spybot and Lavasoft haven't found anything.

5. Can't help ya on Mac tho Macs are pretty virus resistant.

6. If ya want the MS thing, PM me. I could onbly find "Defender" last time in.
  11.    #31  
    Thanks for the info, Jack! I have Zone Alarm and Kapersky. Something just went wrong with the other laptop. I think I'll start over and then reinstall. I'd feel better doing that. Also, I'm not sure the hard drive is big enough to partition, it's one of those older ones with 40 or 60GB(I need to check). It's a back-up. But I probably will partition the 120GB one I plan on getting!
    Let's see.....my server has a 9 GB and two 36 GB ....all partitioned into 9 giggers....but they 15k speed demons. My laptop 2 week old laptop is 100 gigs:

Five 16 GB and 13 GB left over for temp and paging files.
  13.    #33  
    What program do you use to partition? Or can it be done manually? I believe i have some partition software, but I don't want to mess anything up.
    What program do you use to partition? Or can it be done manually? I believe i have some partition software, but I don't want to mess anything up.
    Don't use that software. Get partition magic.

And if you ask me. Don't partition that drive. Jack's opinion on this differs from mine.

Start a thread over at StorageReview.com, and see what they say.
    If you start out by telling windows setup to partition ONLY the set partition size, you can do it but I always use Partition Magic. Can usually be had a CompUSA for about $19 or $29 if ya catch "rebate weekend".

Performance wise, one thing you have to watch out for is that when most tests are done they are done on relatively empty drives. The main performance issue comes when you drives are up to 70 or 80 % capacity and page files wind up being created at the back of the drive. However you still will be able to see some improvements from not using NTFS on the pageing / temp file partition.

Here's the benchmark results from my new laptop.

Original "as delivered" 06-15-06 one NTFS 100 Gig C drive no software

3dMark 2003 17,453
    3dMark 2005 8245
    3dMark 2006 4637
    PCMark 2005 5478

Software loaded, most background tasks off, partitioned with FAT32 paging file / temp file D partition rest NTFS. Despite the added software, slight increases shown

3dMark 2003 17,716
    3dMark 2005 8432
    3dMark 2006 4749
    PCMark 2005 5631

Again, the differences would be expected to be small as page file on such an empty drive is going to pretty much be in same spot eitehr way. A year later, paging file will be pushed much further back on drive (where HD it is half as fast) and would be fragmented both which would decrease performance.
    Everyone should defrag regularly, and a good one will keep your paging file where it belongs.

As far as your benchmark. Too bad you don't have one which isolates only the partitioning.
    If you fix your page file to a specific size, it won't move as much...I'm still using diskeeper 6....they at 10.... so maybe they doing morew than I am used to these days....it would seem to be a real hard thing for a defragger to control tho as when you reboot, paging file gets deleted and recreated on next boot.
    If you fix your page file to a specific size, it won't move as much...I'm still using diskeeper 6....they at 10.... so maybe they doing morew than I am used to these days....it would seem to be a real hard thing for a defragger to control tho as when you reboot, paging file gets deleted and recreated on next boot.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12