Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The reviews are coming in for this guy, and they're good so far... which is nice, I have this icky feeling about the 80s movies.

New Superman movie dazzles critics in first reviews
    NEW YORK (Reuters) - "Superman Returns," which opens in the United States next week, is receiving knock-out first reviews from critics, with newcomer Brandon Routh tipped to win over audiences as the latest crime-fighting "Man of Steel."

Hollywood's two trade newspapers, Daily Variety and Hollywood Reporter, gave the movie strong reviews, with The Reporter describing it as "a heartfelt Superman movie that plays to a broad audience thanks to an emotionally troubled Man of Steel."

Daily Variety critic Todd McCarthy said director Bryan Singer had imprinted the Warner Bros. movie with its own personality. "'Superman Returns' is never self-consciously hip, ironic, post-modern or camp. To the contrary, it's quite sincere, with an artistic elegance," he said.

Routh won praise for his apparent effortlessness -- with his resemblance to Superman predecessor, the late Christopher Reeve, not going unnoticed....
    I can't wait....complete with John William's music!!!!
    I am happy Bryan Singer used the original Richard Donner film as a template. The original main theme from John Williams is also being revived. Its even supposed to have some original movie Marlon Brando voice overs and never before seen scenes.

I know how I will be spending my afternoon on the 28th!
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
  5.    #5  
    This might be the first movie I actually pay for since we put the home theater in. Oops, did I say that out loud. Cringe.
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    This might be the first movie I actually pay for since we put the home theater in. Oops, did I say that out loud. Cringe.
    I find going to the movies is a good way to keep the girl entertained on weekends... that's easy enough for me

As for supaman, according to an article on latimes, there's going to be an IMAX version of this movie of which some scenes will be taking it to the 3rd Dimension. In addition, there may be an additional scene in the 3D version not in the 2D edition.

What do you guys think, we do have an IMAX theater here, but it's 15 bucks a seat. Worth it? i say yes
    I didn't expect this to be good, but if the reviews are accurate, who knows? Every since Batman Begins, my faith in comic book movies has been restored.
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster
    ...What do you guys think, we do have an IMAX theater here, but it's 15 bucks a seat. Worth it? i say yes...
    IMAX is cool, but I think its a lousy way to watch a normal theatrical release feature (as opposed to a made specificly for IMAX film). I think the screen is simply too large and most IMAX theatres to shallow (seating to screen) to enjoy a normal theatrical release. IMAX is great for the WOW effect of watching images, as most made for IMAX films are designed to do. But for films with lots of dialog, where your watching people interact, its harder to focus on the scene and you end up missing things. Its like staring at a Picasso close up, you miss alot of what the artist (or director) wants you to see.

I'm sure Bryan Singer shot this film in Scope (CinemaScope), as apposed to a flat aspect ratio. It's sad no one shoots in true 70mm anymore (IMAX is a varient of 70mm). I'll be happy with a normal theatre (AMC has a great facility here in Virginia Beach) with a great projection and sound system. I'll plant my **** in the middle of the house so as to enjoy all the surround sound.

I was a theatre manager and projectionist along time ago.

May I have a large diet coke and a large bucket of popcorn please.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    always be Honolulu, HI
    Quote Originally Posted by cgordonn
    IMAX is cool, but I think its a lousy way to watch a normal theatrical release feature
    I think you're right. I've seen a few movies on Imax (Matrix Revolutions and Batman Begins) and both times I didn't enjoy it any more than I would have in a normal theatre. At times you feel like you're at a tennis match as you move your head from side to side to try and take it all in.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Every since Batman Begins, my faith in comic book movies has been restored.
    DITTO THAT!!
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    I think you're right. I've seen a few movies on Imax (Matrix Revolutions and Batman Begins) and both times I didn't enjoy it any more than I would have in a normal theatre. At times you feel like you're at a tennis match as you move your head from side to side to try and take it all in.
    Exactly. Also, for the IMAX releases of mainstream films, scenes have to be cut in order to accomodate the product in the projection system. IMAX film is bulky, and is run in a horizontal format as opposed to a normal projection systems vertical format. Because of the size and bulk of the IMAX film, the film volume is greater for an IMAX release. Things have to get cut in order to accomodate the whole film onto the the projectors platter (a large revolving plate that holds the film).

I remember when "The Right Stuff" came out, the running time was well over 3 hours. The film just barely fit onto the platter we had to hold it. During one showing some film actually slipped off and jammed the projection system and damaged the film. Our projection shop needed to make a plywood extension for the platter to better accomodate the film.

Here is a good example of the size of IMAX film, compared to normal 35mm film.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    always be Honolulu, HI
  12.    #12  
    I wonder how the existing and upcoming digital formats will compare, and how long it will be before we can expect digital video at imax resolutions.
    The quality is already there, and to a lesser degree the distribution means. The big problem is infrastructure, who and how will pay for the upgrade from a standard projector to a digital projector. Along with the big chains who always plead poverty, there are alot of mom-n-pop theatre owners across the country, let alone around the world. Its expensive to produce and ship traditional film prints. The hope is that going digital, there is no longer a need for film and prints can be beamed by satalite or downloaded from a distributor. But exhibitors dont want to pay for the cost of installing new equipment, at least not until digital film becomes more proven and mainstream.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    always be Honolulu, HI
  14.    #14  
    Our local theaters have both film and digital projectors, but I have never seen digital at Imax resolution.
  15.    #15  
    I am thinking of making a weekend trip of it, and staying here where they are showing it in IMAX 3D.

Think it's worth all the trouble for the Imax 3D? Also, anybody know where to get a good deal on that resort?
    I already have my ticket to go see SR on the IMAX screen in Dallas on the 28th. I saw Batman Returns there and sat back far enough that I didn't get 'Tennis Neck'. It was the same price as seeing it on the regular screen that night, so I figured 'Heck, why not?!'
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Nachtswerg
    I already have my ticket to go see SR on the IMAX screen..
    heh, thanx for the reminder, I've gone and put in the purchase myself. This town (NYC) is vicious, even movie tickets sell out online far in advance, looks like I beat the rush this time
  18.    #18  
    Ok, i just purchased my hotel stay. (The Nearest Imax theater is a bit of a drive and is in a resort. My local Imax is not showing it. I don't know why )

Expedia had the room starting at $189 per night, i bid $60 on PriceLine and was denied, changed the date and raised it to $65 at it was accepted.

<--- cheap bast***

Hope the 3D and Imax is worth it.
    Just got back from seeing this in Imax 3D. Pretty good movie. The 3D was ok, sometimes a bit blurry but at times it did add to the scenes. Anyhow, in case some are wondering, here's a picture that shows (or at least tries to show) the large size of the screen (this is the IMAX theater in New York City near Lincoln Square):

Here's the huge glasses they gave us:

Attached Images Attached Images
  20.    #20  
    lol, looks like he stole the glasses wink
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast