Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Trial to focus on Michael Jackson's finances

Last Updated Tue, 20 Jun 2006 14:48:22 EDT
    CBC Arts

Michael Jackson's finances will be in the spotlight again, as a former associate's lawsuit against the pop star goes to trial.

Jackson is not scheduled to appear at the trial but has filmed depositions in London. (Associated Press) F. Marc Schaffel has filed a $3.8-million US lawsuit against Jackson. According to Schaffel, the singer has not reimbursed him for loans, expenses and work on a charity record. Schaffel has also accused Jackson, who has been living in Bahrain since last June, of holding back his share of proceeds from two TV specials.

Jury selection is set to begin Monday but the pop star is not expected at the California trial, said his spokesperson Raymone Bain.

"To my knowledge, he's not scheduled for any court appearances," Bain said, according to the Associated Press. She added that Jackson is travelling in Europe and answered questions twice in depositions filmed in London.

Questions about Jackson's finances

In June 2005, Jackson was acquitted of child molestation charges, but during the criminal trial, facts about his precarious financial situation came to light.

During the trial, it was revealed that the singer had borrowed a huge sum against his assets, including his California estate, Neverland Ranch, and his stake in the famed ATV/Sony music catalogue, believed to be one of the most valuable in the world. It features more than 200 songs by the Beatles, as well as songs by the likes of Bob Dylan, Neil Diamond, Joni Mitchell and Stevie Nicks.

In his trial brief, Schaffel's lawyer Howard King said Jackson "hired competent advisers to make business decisions, then frequently ignored the decisions being made."

The brief also accuses the singer of incurring "expenses without regard to any rational limits or accountability, as though funds were endless."

However, in another pretrial filing, Jackson's lawyer, Thomas Mundell, attacked Schaffel's character, calling him "unsavoury" and "a professional swindler," and saying it was Schaffel who had defrauded the singer.

Will Jackson return to the spotlight?

Shortly after his acquittal last June, Jackson and his three children moved to the Gulf state of Bahrain, where he has been working on a new album and a charity single to benefit victims of hurricane Katrina...
  2.    #2  
    Hope he gets so broke he has to go back on tour.
    I too hope he comes back, but I want good music this time!

Think I've heard that MJ turned down at least a couple of songs that later became singles for Justin Timberlake's album, that's flippin crazy.. Justified was pretty good..

don't hate
    Is this what the OT has been reduced to?
    sigh
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Is this what the OT has been reduced to?
    sigh
    lol, not a fan I take it

ok heres a different one

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=118088
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster

Think I've heard that MJ turned down at least a couple of songs that later became singles for Justin Timberlake's album, that's flippin crazy.. Justified was pretty good..

don't hate
    If I were him, I would get back to the soul roots, perhaps get back with his brothers. I wish he would consider a vegas act similar to Celine Dion. He'd clean up.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    If I were him, I would get back to the soul roots, perhaps get back with his brothers. I wish he would consider a vegas act similar to Celine Dion. He'd clean up.
    Man...you sound like you're on crack or something! He should continue to hide in the middle east...
    Luminary? You've got to be kidding!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster

don't hate
    You know it's interesting.

Timberlake does a full on MJ impersonation, yet I have heard critics and fans say "he really looks a lot like Usher". Lol.

But no mention that both Usher and Timberelake lifted the act from MJ.

I still remember when i was back in elementary school, wearing a red leather thriller jacket with the V on the back, out on the playground.
  9.    #9  

lol

can't wait
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts

lol

can't wait
    I hope you're not serious! Every kid I knew who had one of those jackets had NO FRIENDS...and/or emotional issues.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    I hope you're not serious! Every kid I knew who had one of those jackets had NO FRIENDS...and/or emotional issues.
    and got beat up on a regular basis.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Postal
    and got beat up on a regular basis.
    Why do you have to bring every conversation down to the sewer?

[where the heck have you been?]
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Why do you have to bring every conversation down to the sewer?

[where the heck have you been?]
    Germany. Things have slowed a bit?
    You actually knew people that had those jackets?
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Germany. Things have slowed a bit?
    Na...Zi topics have just been sanitized a bit. It's all good, homey...
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    half my fourth grade class

and these pants too

Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    Well...given the nature of the jacket -- I'd say I knew them from a distance. They, by default, could not have been my friend. Those guys, as I said before, had none. Of course, I grew up in Minnesota - my graduating class of 900 kids had 3 blacks. Breakdancing wasn't cool. Neither was Michael...or that jacket!
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Na...Zi topics have just been sanitized a bit. It's all good, homey...
    Three people here? What the hell happened?
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    half my fourth grade class

and these pants too

Boy...I'd like to tell you what my high school class would have said about that kind of attire, but methinks I'd get banned.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Three people here? What the hell happened?
    Hey...it's not like we're crickets...this is engaging stuff.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast