Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  

Saturday, Jun. 17, 2006

The plot was called off by Bin Laden's No. 2 only 45 days from zero hour, according to a new book by Ron Suskind

Al-Qaeda terrorists came within 45 days of attacking the New York subway system with a lethal gas similar to that used in Nazi death camps. They were stopped not by any intelligence breakthrough, but by an order from Osama bin Laden's deputy, Ayman Zawahiri. And the U.S. learned of the plot from a CIA mole inside al-Qaeda. These are some of the more startling revelations by Pulitzer Prize-winning author Ron Suskind, whose new book The One Percent Doctrine is excerpted in the forthcoming issue of TIME. It will appear on Time.com early Sunday morning.

U.S. intelligence got its first inkling of the plot from the contents of a laptop computer belonging to a Bahraini jihadist captured in Saudi Arabia early in 2003. It contained plans for a gas-dispersal system dubbed "the mubtakkar" (Arabic for inventive). Fearing that al-Qaeda's engineers had achieved the holy grail of terror R&D a device to effectively distribute hydrogen-cyanide gas, which is deadly when inhaled the CIA immediately set about building a prototype based on the captured design, which comprised two separate chambers for sodium cyanide and a stable source of hydrogen, such as hydrochloric acid. A seal between the two could be broken by a remote trigger, producing the gas for dispersal. The prototype confirmed their worst fears: "In the world of terrorist weaponry," writes Suskind, "this was the equivalent of splitting the atom. Obtain a few widely available chemicals, and you could construct it with a trip to Home Depot and then kill everyone in the store."

The device was shown to President Bush and Vice President Cheney the following morning, prompting the President to order that alerts be sent through all levels of the U.S. government. Easily constructed and concealed, mass casualties were inevitable if it could be triggered in any enclosed public space....

Last edited by theBlaze74; 06/18/2006 at 11:30 AM.
  2.    #2  
    About Ron Suskind

Ron Suskind is an author and journalist based in Washington, D.C.

His latest book, "The One Percent Doctrine," is a revealing journey deep inside America's battles with violent, unrelenting terrorists -- a game of kill-or-be-killed, from the Oval Office to the streets of Karachi.

His 2004 book, "The Price of Loyalty, George W. Bush, the White House and the Education of Paul O'Neill," is a sweeping tour of the inner working of the Bush Presidency, among the most secretive administrations in modern times. The book follows the two-year arc of Paul O'Neill, Bush's Treasury Secretary and a principal of the National Security Council, as he and other senior officials assess the conduct and character of this Presidency.
    It's too bad that it will take another event like 9/11 to wake everyone up. WWWIII, folks, just without the declarations.

10 years from now, we will know the outcome, for better or worse.
  4.    #4  
    If you would have told me in the days and weeks after 9/11 that in 2006 we still would not have killed Osama Bin Ladeen, and that Ayman Zawahiri would still be alive and planning attacks against the United States, while the United States was embroiled in a civil war in Iraq, I never would have believed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    If you would have told me in the days and weeks after 9/11 that in 2006 we still would not have killed Osama Bin Ladeen, and that Ayman Zawahiri would still be alive and planning attacks against the United States, while the United States was embroiled in a civil war in Iraq, I never would have believed it.
    Do you post on Democratic Underground? I've love to see what you wrote when we attacked the Taliban in Afghanistan.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    It's too bad that it will take another event like 9/11 to wake everyone up. WWWIII, folks, just without the declarations.

10 years from now, we will know the outcome, for better or worse.
    This is no more WWIII than the bomb chucking anarchists in the early 1900s.

This is standard, ongoing (as in will always need to be done), global police work. No need to go off on the "IT'S WWIII!!!!" end, unless of course it suits your political ends.

I'd rather read Ann Coulter's book
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHINMJ
    I'd rather read Ann Coulter's book
    So I see you are a fiction fan, huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    So I see you are a fiction fan, huh?
    Since this was posted before I posted the "Warning" thread, I'll do nothing. But this is not tolerated here and will get you banned/suspended in the future. Joking or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Since this was posted before I posted the "Warning" thread, I'll do nothing. But this is not tolerated here and will get you banned/suspended in the future. Joking or not.
    oh geatches, what have you done?!
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas

This is standard, ongoing (as in will always need to be done), global police work. No need to go off on the "IT'S WWIII!!!!" end, unless of course it suits your political ends.

Why reduce this to such simple terms? I've been thinking it was a continuation of the same culture war we've endured for centuries.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Whoa. You're going to kill alot of threads quickly if that's all it takes to provoke your wrath.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas

And there you have it, ladies and gentlemen. A more complete view of the liberal perspective on Islamofacisim will not be found. Equating "bomb chucking anarchists" to a global idealogical movement with the stated goal of ending Western civilization is absolutely breath taking in its ignorance of the obvious. Yes. Al Q is just the same as the turn of the century bombing nutters that were handing out handbills on corners. Except they use the Internet. Except that they are working on getting WMD, and will one day succeed. Except that there are about a billion people that, as some level, ascribe to the idealogoy. Yes. Totally parallel. What brilliance!

This is why Democrats must never, never be trusted with national security. They treat the war of our generation as a law enforcement problem.

(Actually, this is more like WWIV. We won WWIII, with the Demo/Libs squealing all the way.)
    Last edited by 1911sforever; 06/18/2006 at 06:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster
    oh geatches, what have you done?!
    Me?
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  15.    #15  

Right, back on topic.

If this device actually exists, (I thought no way at first, but this is a very respected source) this seems to knock out the last shred of justification for the Iraq war, (the unholy partnership between Saddam's WMDs in terrorists hands), and begs the question, why has the sh** not hit the fan over the administration's apparent apathy for destroying Ayman Zawahiri and Bin Laden?
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    1911sforever pretty much nailed it on the head. well said!!!!
    I gotta have more cowbell
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002
    1911sforever pretty much nailed it on the head. well said!!!!
    The one suggesting I don't want to get Osama? Or the one that got him banned?
    does anyone care?
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74

Right, back on topic.

If this device actually exists, (I thought no way at first, but this is a very respected source) this seems to knock out the last shred of justification for the Iraq war, (the unholy partnership between Saddam's WMDs in terrorists hands), and begs the question, why has the sh** not hit the fan over the administration's apparent apathy for destroying Ayman Zawahiri and Bin Laden?
    Wow, that is very insightful.
    I'm curious as to which part of this seems so amazing?

That you can mix any ACID (a supplier of H+ ions) and any CYANIDE salt
    (such as NaCN or KCN) and get CYANIDE GAS?

Oh, I forgot - it's a triple secret umbra device.

Anytime you mix an acid and a cyanide salt you will have a very very
    "efficient" release of cyanide gas. See: Gas Chamber - San Quentin.

NaCN + HCL = HCN + NaCL + Heat

Heat volatilizes HCN into a Vapor.

There are too many authors getting rich off of selling FUD "fear, uncertainty,
    and doom" to the masses.

Secret devices, CIA interrupted (or not) AQ plots.. yadda yadda.

Phooey.

300ppm is lethal short term.. back of scratchpad 1-2 cuft of HCN would be
    short-term lethal (5 min exposure) in a subway car. So?

Here's one for you - there is another gas - the smell of which most would
    attribute to "farts" or "rotten eggs" that is almost as lethal. Not considered
    a "WMD" though - hence far less "sexy". Easier to procure as well.

Let's see if anyone from TX or OK or other oil country can tell us what it is.

Jim
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast