Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is it possible to debate with someone without resorting to calling them names?
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    There probably is but it usually depends on the topic. Talking about politics increases the chance that it won't be debate but it will be some ad hominem attack.

6+ months ago Insertion posted a 'prediction' of how a certain political off topic thread would continue. He was dead on. One side talks about the right, another the left and they argue who is better.

Lets talk about the treo
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Lets talk about the treo
    Your suggestion matches what Ronbo said. Maybe TC should ban all political and religious topics.
    There probably is but it usually depends on the topic. Talking about politics increases the chance that it won't be debate but it will be some ad hominem attack.

6+ months ago Insertion posted a 'prediction' of how a certain political off topic thread would continue. He was dead on. One side talks about the right, another the left and they argue who is better.

Lets talk about the treo
    The 700p or the 700w?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Your suggestion matches what Ronbo said. Maybe TC should ban all political and religious topics.
    I think there is a lot of validity in the idea. IMO too many people are not really interested in 'hearing' the other side of an argument (nevermind the fact that the mods probably spend a majority of their time cleaning up the off topic threads...)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    The 700p or the 700w?
    I still prefer the P. If the W had the 320x320 screen, it would make it tougher for me.

I still prefer the P. If the W had the 320x320 screen, it would make it tougher for me.
    Fascist!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  8.    #8  
    Fascist!
    LOL
    Fascist!
    I can always count on you to drive a point home.

Fascist!
    Otay, what's up with this.....

teH Munk uses the word facist.
    I reply in another thread useing a single word Devilcrat and my reply and theblaze reply is pulled.

geatches replies with lol and says nothing about teH Munks name calling.

Is there a double standard here?

I live in the same state as teH Munk and I demand equal treatment...

And yes, I think all political, gay and religious topics be banned. These topics will most likely bring the inseeeensitive side of me out. Which will hurt the feeeeelings of a liberal....

Chuck
    Oh darn....

It's happening, I am starting to feeeeeel inseeeeeeesitive and feeeeeel the need to hurt the feeeeeelings of a liberal..........

COMMIES

there, it's done. I feeeeeel a lot better now....

Thank you for your support.....

Chuck
    The problem is TC has people from 14 years old to 60+.

So when you are "debating", you don't know if you are getting a rational adult who will say "I see your point but think..." or a goofy kid who says "S-u-c-k my (blank)"

As for banned poli-religi-sex postings, I'm all for it, you bible-thumping commie trannys! :-)
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    it would probably be good to get rid of the politics and religion here. there are blogs for that, this site's for the treo.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    The TC forum is for treo's ... but Off Topic is just that, Off Topic. Some actually enjoy the back and forth and have debated with good humor and make each other think. To say some topics should be too OT for OT opens a door to censorship many don't want.

As for banning politics and religion... they are two things people often can't talk about in the real world, so allowing them to be discussed in the virtual world can be healthy.

Besides, banning talk about religion would be banning talk about which is better, POS or WM treos. To some, that is a religion!
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    There is also something to be said for debating such things in a forum like this... rather than in a blog or forum that is just for that purpose. You can debate some point of poli or rel with someone in OT and really disagree with them, then turn around in a specific on-topic TC forum and be best buds with them in discussing the 700P for example. It allows your debates to not be personal. I may think (___________insert TC member name here) is a real scallywag in their politics, but if I had a tip to help them on some aspect of their Palm, I can rise above that and help them out.
    Isn't that what makes an on-line community a "community"?
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Of course.

However, debate is lacking in the current political environment, having been replaced by influence peddling. In the influence economy, ideas and ideals are all equal, and perception rules the day. As such, an effectiĆ
    ....As such, an effective way to gain influence is to impune opponents. Another characterstic of the current environment is attention deficit. As such, one needs to produce memorable sound bytes.

Name-calling is simply impuning in a sound byte.
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002
    it would probably be good to get rid of the politics and religion here. there are blogs for that, this site's for the treo.
    After seeing it play out again and again, I tend to agree. Don't get me wrong, I learn a lot about many different politicians and historical events in the threads.

Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1
    The TC forum is for treo's ... but Off Topic is just that, Off Topic. Some actually enjoy the back and forth and have debated with good humor and make each other think. To say some topics should be too OT for OT opens a door to censorship many don't want.
    That may be true but we already have censorship, the question is really where do we want to draw the line.

Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1
    As for banning politics and religion... they are two things people often can't talk about in the real world, so allowing them to be discussed in the virtual world can be healthy.
    Again I agree but the problem is that Im not sure its worth the cost for what people are getting out of it. To begin with, Im not sure how much real 'discussion' is done and Im not sure having those types of threads in the OT is worth all the time it takes the Mods to moderate it?

Yeah, yeah, there's a lot of name calling and flaming. Welcome to the internet.

Oh, and if anyone's under the illusion that its an OT thing--relegated only to the political and religious debates--go to the General Treo Discussion forum and post a question asking what the blinking snowflake is for.
    ^^^ Excuse my poor disposition tonight. I really do like it here--its just that the internet brings out the extremes; and as good as it can be, since it is populated by people, it can get pretty ugly too.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast